Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-15-2014, 01:05 PM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Reamstown
Posts: 30
Just got back from the CAT Scale!!!Need Help

Before purchasing our 2104 Salem QBSS i knew that this trailer had a lot of tongue weight but i loved the model so we bought it and i figured if its way over i guess i would have to buy a new truck.. Well i finally hit the scales today and i was trying to figure out my numbers but the more it try to figure it out the more confused i get. What is the best way to calculate tongue weight and what should the difference from the front and rear axles be??? Thanks in advance for the help.

First weigh-in (with the WDH the way the dealership set it up)
Steer axle- 3220
Drive axle- 4180
Trailer weight-5800

Second weigh-in (adjusted the chains one more link)
Steer axle-3340
Drive axle-4000
Trailer axle-5880

Truck only(with full tank of gas a 2 200lb occupants)
6340

GVWR of truck-7200

Now what i am thinking is my rear axle is rated at 3850 so i am 150lbs over on the rear. Should i be worried about 150lbs???

Also does that mean that my truck only has a payload of 860?? Thats seems really low.. I got that by truck 6340-GVWR 7200..

The more i think about it the more confused i get
__________________

__________________
Jamesandtara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 01:14 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
beerjay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Ottawa ON
Posts: 111
Your payload calc is correct based on GVWR and actual TV weights. You should have the WDH and bars in the TV to include in the TV actual weight as well.

Do you have the individual axle weights for the TV alone loaded?

That will let you see if the GAWR is close to the max rated for the TV with the trailer attached.

You can also then compare the front TV axle weight with and without WDH to get them close to the same weight, so you aren't unloading the front of the TV and messing up your steering control.
__________________

__________________

2009 Suburban LT 1500 - 4x4 - 3.42
2009 Flagstaff 23FBS Super Lite
Nights Camped in 2015 - 21
Nights Camped in 2014 - 29
Nights Camped in 2013 - 31
beerjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 04:43 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
fonzie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Eastern Ontario
Posts: 3,237
Are you weighting ready to camp or with trailer and truck empty of cargo. Usually people will add about 1000 lbs in trailer plus whatever you put in truck bed. You're numbers looks right for an empty trailer and truck bed.
__________________
Fonzie
2011 Rockwood 8319SS with ProPride 3P hitch/GoodYear Marathons/TST TPMS 507
2008 F250 Lariat CC SB 6.8L V10 4.10 axle ratio (NITTO TERRA GRAPLER G2 LT275/65R20E)
Yamaha 3000iseb generator:Progressive Ind. EMS-HW30C : Eastern Ontario
Nights Camped: 2011(21) 2012(36) 2013 (17) 2014 (18) 2015 (18) 2016 (36) 2017 (32)
fonzie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 05:21 PM   #4
Site Team
 
Platokidd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: top side land of Lincoln
Posts: 6,437
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesandtara View Post
Before purchasing our 2104 Salem QBSS i knew that this trailer had a lot of tongue weight but i loved the model so we bought it and i figured if its way over i guess i would have to buy a new truck.. Well i finally hit the scales today and i was trying to figure out my numbers but the more it try to figure it out the more confused i get. What is the best way to calculate tongue weight and what should the difference from the front and rear axles be??? Thanks in advance for the help.

First weigh-in (with the WDH the way the dealership set it up)
Steer axle- 3220
Drive axle- 4180
Trailer weight-5800

Second weigh-in (adjusted the chains one more link)
Steer axle-3340
Drive axle-4000
Trailer axle-5880

Truck only(with full tank of gas a 2 200lb occupants)
6340

GVWR of truck-7200

Now what i am thinking is my rear axle is rated at 3850 so i am 150lbs over on the rear. Should i be worried about 150lbs???

Also does that mean that my truck only has a payload of 860?? Thats seems really low.. I got that by truck 6340-GVWR 7200..

The more i think about it the more confused i get
Travel Trailer Weight Calculator

You need to weigh in 3 times. hooked up with wdh / without wdh and bars in the bed of your truck. and your truck buy itself. Then put in the numbers in the link above. Handy link for this task imo. Your going to also need to measure your fender height's at the wheel well. (Stock before load and after with load.)
Try to get the front back to stock height when load is on by adjusting the hitch . I know chevy never wants the front to squat lower then stock height per my owners manual anyway.
Dont know about ford.,
__________________
2014 LaCrosse 323RST-TE-C
2009 Chevy 2500HD Z71
nights of camping
2017-67 / 16-92 / 15-73 / 14-60 / 13-33
Seasonal
Platokidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 05:49 PM   #5
Site Team
 
Kaadk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 3,469
Quote:
Originally Posted by beerjay View Post
Your payload calc is correct based on GVWR and actual TV weights. You should have the WDH and bars in the TV to include in the TV actual weight as well.

I've always wondered about that. I see that as the recommended process, but since I'd only ever have the WDH on when I have the TT hooked up is it really that bad to let be be factored into the tongue weight? Either way it's still going to take from the available payload. If it's to figure out weight at rest, well, the WDH gets stored in the front pass thru storage and would still factor into the overall TT weight.

5er's on the other hand make sense since I doubt people pull their hitches out during a camping trip.
__________________
There's no use crying over spilt milk, unless it's on your keyboard.
Kaadk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 08:15 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
beerjay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Ottawa ON
Posts: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaadk View Post
I've always wondered about that. I see that as the recommended process, but since I'd only ever have the WDH on when I have the TT hooked up is it really that bad to let be be factored into the tongue weight? Either way it's still going to take from the available payload. If it's to figure out weight at rest, well, the WDH gets stored in the front pass thru storage and would still factor into the overall TT weight.

5er's on the other hand make sense since I doubt people pull their hitches out during a camping trip.
The folks on the forum suggested last year that it's actually part of the weight on the TV. So it subtracts from the payload capacity of the TV. So when weighing the TV alone the WDH and bars should be on the TV.

The tongue weight is what the trailer puts on the TV of its own accord.

Please help if this is incorrect.
__________________

2009 Suburban LT 1500 - 4x4 - 3.42
2009 Flagstaff 23FBS Super Lite
Nights Camped in 2015 - 21
Nights Camped in 2014 - 29
Nights Camped in 2013 - 31
beerjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 07:48 AM   #7
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Reamstown
Posts: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by fonzie View Post
Are you weighting ready to camp or with trailer and truck empty of cargo. Usually people will add about 1000 lbs in trailer plus whatever you put in truck bed. You're numbers looks right for an empty trailer and truck bed.
Yes this was empty TV and trailer. We are planning a trip on Easter weekend that we will weigh again once we are loaded.. I don't plan on putting much in the bed of my truck, i should be able to get everything in the camper.

I was thinking about going another link but i don't want to go to far...Any opinions on that???
__________________
Jamesandtara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 08:35 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
davel1971's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Seaford, De
Posts: 2,317
you can't calculate tongue weight without a reading of truck alone with axles on separate scales. That reading, and a weighing of camper loaded as you would normally travel, will get your answer. Even this way, you aren't really measuring the tongue weight, but the axle weight, which is probably more important anyhow. Since you aren't measuring at the ball, but at the axle 4-5 ft forward of the ball, a lever action takes place. You aren't just putting trailer weight on rear axle, but more of the truck too.
__________________
David & Lynn
2014 Coachmen Chaparral Signature 327 RLKS
2016 Ford F350 Lariat CC Dually
davel1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 09:50 AM   #9
Site Team
 
Platokidd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: top side land of Lincoln
Posts: 6,437
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesandtara View Post
Yes this was empty TV and trailer. We are planning a trip on Easter weekend that we will weigh again once we are loaded.. I don't plan on putting much in the bed of my truck, i should be able to get everything in the camper.

I was thinking about going another link but i don't want to go to far...Any opinions on that???
IMHO you dont have all the info you / we need to recommend anything.
Need to know the weight on the truck axles front n rear without the camper hooked up.
I would measure at the wheel wells w/o being hooked up.
Then hook up and adjust hitch so the front wheel well is back to stock height.
Thats a good starting point.(make sure your unit is level.)
At the scales your going to need 3 different weigh ins.
W/O wdh
W/wdh
Truck by itself.
Then you have all the numbers you need to see where you stand and if adjustment are needed.
http://changingears.com/rv-sec-calc-...eight-tt.shtml
Without all the right info your just spending a lot of energy and time guessing.
__________________
2014 LaCrosse 323RST-TE-C
2009 Chevy 2500HD Z71
nights of camping
2017-67 / 16-92 / 15-73 / 14-60 / 13-33
Seasonal
Platokidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 09:53 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
indybp57's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Posts: 333
I weighed my TV alone pretty much as it would be loaded for a trip, including myself and DW. I weighed again when we were all hooked up and headed out on a trip. I added the steer and drive axle weights together from the hooked up weigh-in and subtracted the total TV weight from the first weigh-in and called that my tongue weight. I'm not completely sold on having the hitch coupler in the TV on the base weigh -in since that is part of the tongue weight from the perspective of the hitch receiver.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2
__________________

__________________
2013 Roo 183
Miles Driven/Nights Camped:
2012:1042/13 2013:2772/27
2014:2259/30 2015:1644/20
2016:1278/23 2017:2183/22
indybp57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
cat

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:55 PM.