Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-12-2012, 04:18 PM   #1

Kayak Truck Rack... suggestions?

We are thinking about getting two 10' kayaks to take with us camping. We would be pulling a TT and also carrying 2 bikes in the back of a short bed (5.5') F150.

Looking for suggestions on the easiest/cheapest way to transport. Perhaps something like a rack I could build/buy out of PVC that wouldn't require tools to install and be easy to remove... Truck has small cleats low on each corner of the inside side wall.

We were hoping we could simply slide the kayaks into the truck bed but it looks like they would stick out too far over ther tailgate.

Please attach pictures/plans if you have... thanks in advance!
FreedomTracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 09:34 PM   #2

I carry three 'yaks, including one 14' hull, on a triple-wide Thule rack mounted on my crew-cab roof. Plenty of clearance between the 'yaks and the TT. Unfortunately, it doesn't meet one of your criteria - cheap.... The Thule systems are a bit expensive, but given the cost of decent kayaks, I view a good, secure travel rack as kayak insurance.

2022 Coachmen Leprechaun 319MB
2022 Ford Ranger toad
Fire Instructor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 08:25 AM   #3

Truck with bikes / kayaks

I agree with Fire Instructor. You'll see lots of solutions, but very few that are cheap and safe at the same time. I have a soft Dakine tailgate cover for the bikes (that's the cheap / easy part), and a TracRac G2 sliding rail system for the kayaks (now owned by Thule as well). These racks are not cheap, but they sure are versatile and safe!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	loaded truck1.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	30.6 KB
ID:	15229   Click image for larger version

Name:	loaded truck2.jpg
Views:	658
Size:	49.7 KB
ID:	15230  
2 kids, one dog (a Golden)
Let's go camping!
Triathletedave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 10:21 PM   #4

Not cheap=

Ladder rack is from Lowes
Shop Hauler Racks Aluminum Removable Truck Side Ladder Rack at Lowes.com

and a Thule Half Pack = two towers and one crossbar with locks.
Thule Car & Truck Racks - 2012 Thule 480 Traverse Half Pack Car & Truck Rack System

You could mount one post and arm of the Hauler Rack in each side of the rear of the bed and lay the other ends of the boats on top of the cab like I did.
I like to get the full view through the windshield and did not want to see the canoe while driving.
I set this up to avoid that. In fact, I cannot see the canoe at all when driving. All I can see is the one post in the rear.
Twisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 08:21 PM   #5

Thanks, all of these look great but was hoping someone was able to build racks out of PVC/etc that would safely do the job...
esp if they were easily removable after a weekend of camping.
FreedomTracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 08:55 PM   #6

Check out a couple kayak forums for ideas.
If you build a structure using PVC, use grey schedule 80 pipe and fittings. They are about twice the thickness of the white schedule 40.
Inch and a half diameter sch 80 is over a buck and a half a foot. You'll need to be very careful about your cut lengths and waste. An inch and a half sch 80 90 degree elbow is about $2.25.
IMO, a well built PVC rack system will be heavier than a manufactured one, will not be a proven design nor will it have the strength of a store bought rack.
It would be sad for you to see your yaks sliding down the highway in front of you after a panic stop.
Twisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 09:49 AM   #7

My cheap version. 2x4 construction and #10 wood screws with PL Premium adhesive with Dupli-color truck bed liner. 13,000 kms and still going! $125 to build.
baldy is offline   Reply With Quote