Old 05-01-2015, 11:49 PM   #71
In 1967 I bought my first car, a 1956 Chevy with a 3 speed stick. Since then I've had about a dozen other cars/ trucks/SUVs with manual tyrannys. Today I own a 2000 Mustang GT, with, what else, but a 5 speed manual. Both of my sons learned to drive, at 16 years old, in my 1993 Mustang LX (notch-back), 5.0 with a 5 speed stick. My wife learn manual with my '72 El Camino (350, 4 speed). Presently I have a 2013 F150 with auto and it's a pleasure to drive, but when it comes to fun, I'll take my 2000 Mustang GT any day. Also, when I took Drivers Ed in high school, we drove both auto and manual in '66 and '67 Chevy Biscayne (6 cylinder) boats.

I read a few post mentioning "heel and toe". Many people that drive manuals, don't understand and can't preform that task. Along with moving from a dead start on a hill it also comes in handy when down shifting, hitting the throttle a bit while braking to match the engine revs with the rear wheels. Believe it or not, this saves a lot of wear and tear on the clutch and brakes. Of all the manual tyranny cars I've ever owned, only one had to have a new clutch installed, the '93 Mustang 5.0 my kids drove...and I have a pretty good idea why that clutch went bad.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	F150a.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	51.3 KB
ID:	75876   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mustang1.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	65.1 KB
ID:	75877  

2013 Micro-Lite 23LB
2013 Ford 4X4 F150
...and 4 Old Wooden Boats (Penn Yans)
WatkinsGlenCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 12:43 AM   #72
Send a message via MSN to GreenImp
As a young adult, you couldn't pay me to take an automatic. Anymore however, I find auto's far nicer to drive. I even have a 69 RS/SS Camaro Convertible w/Muncie 4sp sitting in the garage that I am considering converting over to an automatic. Shifting has just become a chore I can live without...other than when tearing up the sand dunes.

'04 GMC Sierra 2500HD, CCSB, D/A, MaxBrake, B&W Companion, Retrax Pro, AR Power Steps
2013 Rockwood 8289WS w/Diamond pkg
1969 Camaro RS/SS Convertible
Dad's old 1968 Empi Imp (recently recovered from under 21 years worth of boxes/dust)
GreenImp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 10:32 AM   #73
I've tried heal/toe shifting, and have just never understood the point for modern vehicles. From what I understand, manuals didn't have syncros back in the day, so you needed to match revs when downshifting. When you needed to downshift while braking (for a corner, etc), this means heal/toe technique was required.

Today, why bother? Not necessary for downshifting for my '88, '89, nor '04 daily drivers. Downshifts just fine. If you aren't yet used to the clutch in a recent purchase, OK. Hold the brake and apply some gas to get you going on a hill. Then again, if you have a hand-brake, not necessary. For a vehicle that you are used to, I prefer to simply apply the gas and let the clutch out, however is necessary to do the job. No major slipping. Just do it quick enough so it doesn't stall.

thebrakeman ('70), DW ('71), DD ('99), DD ('01), DD ('05)
2004 Surveyor SV261T (UltraLite Bunkhouse Hybrid)
2006 Mercury Mountaineer V8 AWD Premier
Equal-i-zer WDH (10k), Prodigy Brake Controller
thebrakeman is online now   Reply With Quote

manual, truck