Old 03-27-2019, 11:05 PM   #1

Lance trailer, weight question

For the past two years I have been towing my Wolf Pup 16FQ with an Explorer Platinum, which has the EcoBoost engine and full tow package. The towing capability of the Explorer is 5,000 lbs, and it works very well, I drove up and down mountain passes with the trailer attached without any problem...

Now I’m considering to change the trailer with something “nicer”, and I really like the Lance 1995. (https://www.lancecamper.com/travel-trailers/1995/) The dry weight for that is 4,265 lbs, and the GWVR 5,700 lbs, so at full load it would be out of specs for the TV. But since I strongly prefer full hookups and I never travel with water I’d say that I’d always be within the 5,000. And, as I say the car really behaves well while towing.

Would I be legal if I keep the weight under control? And, if legal, what do you guys think about the Lance?

iconnekt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 11:10 PM   #2

That trailer has a 45 gallon FW capacity which means you can still end up over 5,000LB even without water.

I would look for a trailer with a GVWR of 5,000 or less, personally.

Old 03-27-2019, 11:13 PM   #3

I have a Lance 1995. I also have a Toyota 4-runner with a 5000 lb tow rating. I would not even consider pulling the 1995 with the 4-runner. I tow with a GMC Sierra 2500 Duramax which is overkill but I have the truck as a company vehicle. The 1995 is our second Lance - previous trailer was a 1685 but we got tired of the East/West bed. Love the Lance - premium price but very high quality. Lots of info on Lance Owners of America.
WY Husker Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 12:10 AM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by iconnekt View Post
For the past two years I have been towing my Wolf Pup 16FQ with an Explorer Platinum, which has the EcoBoost engine and full tow package. The towing capability of the Explorer is 5,000 lbs, and it works very well, I drove up and down mountain passes with the trailer attached without any problem...

Now I’m considering to change the trailer with something “nicer”, and I really like the Lance 1995. (https://www.lancecamper.com/travel-trailers/1995/) The dry weight for that is 4,265 lbs, and the GWVR 5,700 lbs, so at full load it would be out of specs for the TV. But since I strongly prefer full hookups and I never travel with water I’d say that I’d always be within the 5,000. And, as I say the car really behaves well while towing.

Would I be legal if I keep the weight under control? And, if legal, what do you guys think about the Lance?
Your Exploder only has the 5000lbs towing capacity, IF there's only a 150lb driver and full fuel tank.
If there's any other occupants and cargo in the car, then you have to subtract those weights from the 5000 number.
And NEVER go by fictional/website brochure dry weights. They don't include weights of batteries, options, dealer add-ons.
Call the dealer for the factory yellow sticker weight amount. That will be closer to a true weight.
And it will be quite easy to see the loaded tongue weight to be over the Exploder's max of 500lbs, once you add the weights of the batteries and cargo without the water included.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 12:10 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselDrax View Post
That trailer has a 45 gallon FW capacity which means you can still end up over 5,000LB even without water.

I would look for a trailer with a GVWR of 5,000 or less, personally.
...not sure I understand... if there’s NO fresh water, how does it influence the weight?
Old 03-28-2019, 12:18 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by WY Husker Fan View Post
I have a Lance 1995. I also have a Toyota 4-runner with a 5000 lb tow rating. I would not even consider pulling the 1995 with the 4-runner. I tow with a GMC Sierra 2500 Duramax which is overkill but I have the truck as a company vehicle. The 1995 is our second Lance - previous trailer was a 1685 but we got tired of the East/West bed. Love the Lance - premium price but very high quality. Lots of info on Lance Owners of America.
Happy to hear about the Lance... I should go for the 1685 but as you say I don’t really like the east-west bed either. Really hate the idea of not being able to tow the 1995!
Old 03-28-2019, 12:31 AM   #7

Quote:
The dry weight for that is 4,265 lbs, and the GWVR 5,700 lbs, so at full load it would be out of specs for the TV. But since I strongly prefer full hookups and I never travel with water I’d say that I’d always be within the 5,000.

Quote:
...not sure I understand... if there’s NO fresh water, how does it influence the weight?

You’re the one that implied not carrying water would keep it under 5,000LB and away from the 5,700LB GVWR. I was just letting you know that 45 gallons of water doesn’t weigh 700LB so you can still end up over 5,000LB without water.

I’ll tell you something else, it’s very easy to underestimate how much your “stuff” weighs. If you limit yourself to trailers with a 5,000LB GVWR or less then you have a much better chance of not exceeding weight limits.

I’ve been in your shoes and it never works out like you hope. I wouldn’t pair that trailer with your Explorer.

Just my $0.02 since you posted up asking.
Old 03-28-2019, 05:41 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselDrax View Post
You’re the one that implied not carrying water would keep it under 5,000LB and away from the 5,700LB GVWR. I was just letting you know that 45 gallons of water doesn’t weigh 700LB so you can still end up over 5,000LB without water.

I’ll tell you something else, it’s very easy to underestimate how much your “stuff” weighs. If you limit yourself to trailers with a 5,000LB GVWR or less then you have a much better chance of not exceeding weight limits.

I’ve been in your shoes and it never works out like you hope. I wouldn’t pair that trailer with your Explorer.

Just my $0.02 since you posted up asking.
Got it now, sorry I did not catch what you meant the first time. Thanks for the comment, as you see it’s really tempting to go ahead, but at the same time I don’t want to make stupid (and potentially dangerous) mistakes...

(The main problem is that I have already too many cars, four for two people, and the Explorer is a company car on lease for another year and a half, so it’s really absurd for me to get another one just for towing...)
Old 03-28-2019, 12:58 PM   #9

Jeesh Poor OP, Look get the darn trailer hook it up get it weighed if it don't work it's no different then many weight folks (didn't say police) are telling you to do. You will know what's right and then make a decision with the facts not folks like myself who have nothing better to do then give opinions often not 100% accurate.

Oh you might invest or need too in a WDH hitch.

Good luck my friend
2017 Ram 1500 Quad Cab, 4x2, 6.4bed, 5.7 hemi 3.21gears, Equalizer WDH, Rear Camera, Max Tow .. Pulling 2017 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WFKSV
dannybye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 01:11 PM   #10

As you start getting close to your TV's TWR (Trailer Weight Rating), you should be more concerned about your TV's GCWR (Gross Combination Weight Rating). That's includes EVERYTHING, and even without water you're probably over.

One way to get an estimate would be to weigh your current set up, with all your stuff. Subtract the dry weight of your current camper then add the dry weight of the Lance 1995. The difference between that and your GCWR will tell you what your margin is. Keep in mind, you'll probably be packing more stuff in the new rig.

'17 Toyota Tacoma 4x4
'17 Salem Cruise Lite 232RBXL
'08 Kawasaki Vulcan Classic 1500
Mickey the Rescue Project Schnauzer
bedubya is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trailer, weight