Old 02-15-2016, 06:29 PM   #31

Touareg diesel & Jeep grand cherokee makes a diesel . Both would pull that trailer with a Hensely.com or propridehitch.com hitch. I think the hitch would be a must you might make a E4 work not sure on that one. Your fuel would be a lot less towing or not towing with the diesel. 2016 NISSAN ARMADA DIESEL not sure when it be for sale

Hensley Cub hitch ,
jlgail4309 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 06:41 PM   #32

This is was not the silverado it was the difference with the motor, HUGE' difference from a 5.3/6.0 and a 8.1 in torque between those motors! No as for your driving style i and many other really wish you would slow for MANY reasons, First and foremost you have a light duty truck towing a tag trailer so you can not stop on a dime, second to sway issue with tag trailers (and so the safety for you and others) Third (but not last) is the HUGE fact of the trailer tires, they have a maximum safety speed of "65 MPH" not "70 all day!"

So i hope i helped you and others on this matter and i wish you Happy Camping

silverback 35ts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 06:46 PM   #33

I am not a huge fan of towing something as big and heavy as a rv with a SUV, but since your wife has her heart set on one, to make it safer i would go with a suburban/yokcon style truck you can get a 1500 or 2500 for your weight issues (you will figure out what you need) but also because they offer the longest wheel base so it will be safer towing with these.

Hope that helps as i owned a suburban for many years and did light local towing and it worked great, but wanted a 5er, so i need a pickup. Happy camping
silverback 35ts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 07:20 PM   #34
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Silverback_35TS, not sure I understand much of anything you've tried to convey in your last 2 posts, but I'll try to decipher. As to 70mph all day long, that may be a bit of stretch as I'm sure that's not the case in the sense you are taking it. When I had a 5er, I would travel 67-68mph on cruise control. That's where the truck liked to be. That could be construed as "70mph" or "65". Going 65 or 67/68 isn't going to make a difference in an emergency situation. I fear those going 50-55 in a 70mph (barring terrain) more so. As for your next post, there are qualified vehicles out there capable of pulling the OP's RV that's not a truck, or a Suburban'esque type vehicle. There are 3/4 ton trucks with shorter wheel bases than some vans, and I wouldn't eliminate them because of that. We are here to help and not just throw blanket statements. This post is not intended to offend you, or anyone, I just couldn't understand what you were trying to say.
Old 02-15-2016, 07:34 PM   #35

Keep the ideas comings! To answer a few more questions:

Large SUV is a must considering 2 adults, 2 young boys and a dog in the plans. That would be a little crowded in a truck. We need our space! Also, it will be an everyday/weekend kid taxi/vehicle and Mama is not driving a van... period! Still thanks for the recommendation.

Thanks JustB_Rad I added 100lbs to the Tongue weight estimate for my calculations.

Another questions... Is it difficult or too costly to retro fit a Brake Controller. Some of the SUVs I am looking at don't have them.
Old 02-15-2016, 07:47 PM   #36
Who Dares, Wins

No, not at all. Many have a plug in the harness under the dash, but if not they can easily be wired in.

Pat, Jen & Heather... Oh yeah and our trained attack trailer cat, Cinnamon-EOW 11/22/2017
2015 ChevyHD D-Max
2018 Artic Wolf 315tbh8
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 07:58 PM   #37
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

I think all of the larger SUV's that offer tow packages, in the weight you are looking, will have a plug in harness for a brake controller. Simple installation.
Old 02-15-2016, 08:11 PM   #38
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by adr4 View Post
Keep the ideas comings! To answer a few more questions:

Large SUV is a must considering 2 adults, 2 young boys and a dog in the plans. That would be a little crowded in a truck. We need our space! Also, it will be an everyday/weekend kid taxi/vehicle and Mama is not driving a van... period! Still thanks for the recommendation.

Thanks JustB_Rad I added 100lbs to the Tongue weight estimate for my calculations.

Another questions... Is it difficult or too costly to retro fit a Brake Controller. Some of the SUVs I am looking at don't have them.
This is an older video (1/15) that I happen to come across of a dealer just a couple miles from me. Before your wife says no van, have her check this out! (skip to middle)
Old 02-15-2016, 08:51 PM   #39

A 65 MPH tire rating is no longer etched in stone. SOME newer ST tires are rated higher ~ mine are but I still set the cruse at 66.
Old 02-15-2016, 09:48 PM   #40
Who Dares, Wins

I set my cruise at 62 and my tires are 65mph rated... But I, honestly, do not think that makes any difference. These POSs will explode at 20mph just as fast as 80mph anymore...

Pat, Jen & Heather... Oh yeah and our trained attack trailer cat, Cinnamon-EOW 11/22/2017
2015 ChevyHD D-Max
2018 Artic Wolf 315tbh8
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
towing