Old 02-15-2016, 09:58 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc73 View Post
I set my cruise at 62 and my tires are 65mph rated... But I, honestly, do not think that makes any difference. These POSs will explode at 20mph just as fast as 80mph anymore...
What tire ya run'n doc? Don't want to buy em'.

Burgers on the BBQ and a cold beer
mike.t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 10:01 PM   #42
Who Dares, Wins

I think they are westlakes or whatever crap they put on from FR.

My "these POS" was not meant at my tire specifically but all the China Bombs as a whole. I have not had tire issues, but I run a TPMS (which some seem to prove that did not matter) and monitor my pressures before leaving, keep the tires covered... Blah blah blah...

Pat, Jen & Heather... Oh yeah and our trained attack trailer cat, Cinnamon-EOW 11/22/2017
2015 ChevyHD D-Max
2018 Artic Wolf 315tbh8
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 10:10 PM   #43

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc73 View Post
I think they are westlakes or whatever crap they put on from FR.

My "these POS" was not meant at my tire specifically but all the China Bombs as a whole. I have not had tire issues, but I run a TPMS (which some seem to prove that did not matter) and monitor my pressures before leaving, keep the tires covered... Blah blah blah...
Burgers on the BBQ and a cold beer
mike.t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 10:36 PM   #44

Don't forget firewood in your calculations! My wood baskets are 100lbs easy for a weekend. If you are dry camping, add 50-75lbs for small ish generator.

Next question is batteries- will you be using one or two? Add 50-60lbs tongue weight if two.

It's almost like new math- your over your target number before you know it.

2014 Evo 2850 "Woodstock"
2011 Toyota Tundra "Clifford"

Just glad to get away
HONDAMAN174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 10:53 PM   #45

Watching this thread intensely since I am a Sucks Unleaded Vigorously fan. Yes, having an open box behind me sometimes could be useful (or pay $19 to Uhaul for a trailer for the day) but I need to haul humans not stuff so using an SUV as a tow vehicle is a prerequisite. But, with my aging framed SUV I like some of the ideas being discussed. The Nissan Armada is peaking my interest lately. Keep up the great discussions!
Old 02-15-2016, 11:52 PM   #46

May not work for your scenario, but I'd encourage you to take a look at some of the non-GM SUVs as well. We've put in a lot of miles towing a 26' TT with a 2011 Durango. Unibody, independent suspension. It's a slightly longer wheel base version of the Grand Cherokee- and with the 5.7 Hemi makes an outstanding towing platform. We use the ProPride hitch too- which is pricey but outstanding. Check all of your weights, visit the scales, make sure the bulk of your cargo is in the trailer not your TV.

As a towing platform though, it's brilliant. Barely notice trucks, never sways, easy two finger steering. The only time I ever felt white knuckling was crossing a mountain pass with insane cross winds, felt like it was going to pick up the whole package and carry us away.
Old 02-16-2016, 08:37 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustB_Rad View Post
As far as "Payload" yes a WD hitch does affect your tongue weight. If your TT weighs 750lbs at the tongue, you need to add at least 100 lbs for what the hitch and bars weigh as those are going directly on the tongue, thereby increasing your tongue weight 100lbs.....as far as your "payload" numbers are concerned. It's like carrying an extra little person, or a large dog. It pushes the weight forward, but it's still part of your gross weight ON the vehicle.
When you engage the weight distribution, some of the tongue weight will be going to the trailer axles. In other words, let's say you weigh the tongue and it's 700 lbs, the hitch is 100, and your TV is 6000 loaded and ready to go. That adds up to 6800lbs. If you hook up and engage the WDH and then weigh the TV axles, you won't have 6800 because some of that TW has been transferred to the trailer axle.
Old 02-16-2016, 08:46 AM   #48
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

I think it would be more accurate to say that the majority of the "transferred" TW is transferred to the front axle of the tow vehicle while very little (if any) is transferred back to the trailer.
Old 02-16-2016, 09:45 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaMan View Post
I think it would be more accurate to say that the majority of the "transferred" TW is transferred to the front axle of the tow vehicle while very little (if any) is transferred back to the trailer.
I'd like you to explain how the WDH can force weight to the front TV axle without putting weight back onto the TT axles. Typically the majority does go to the TV front axle, but if you plan to calculate where every ounce is going, why not look at it accurately?
Old 02-16-2016, 10:09 AM   #50
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustman_stx View Post
I'd like you to explain how the WDH can force weight to the front TV axle without putting weight back onto the TT axles. Typically the majority does go to the TV front axle, but if you plan to calculate where every ounce is going, why not look at it accurately?
Not to be argumentative, but what part of my statement isn't true? JustB_rad has the basic concept, but is wrong in the way he explained it. The hitch does not add to tongue weight, it decreases the payload, as it's weight not hanging on the tongue, but on the truck. The tongue weight does not change until you add something to the trailer (ok, the brackets that connect to trailer fame increase TW ). What the hitch does, is transfer weight from the rear of the vehicle to the front. Does any of that weight get transferred back to the trailer axles, possibly, but I believe it is negligible and not worth calculating.

Tags
towing