Lawsuit says GM sold trucks not compatible with U.S. diesel fuel

"...Bosch was also at the center of high-profile diesel investigations... "

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/bu...el/1943084001/

Old 08-08-2019, 11:46 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grey Wolf 26RR View Post
"...Bosch was also at the center of high-profile diesel investigations... "

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/bu...el/1943084001/
I thought the pump failures were caused by owners running out of fuel which damages the pump from lack of lubrication.

Old 08-08-2019, 12:01 PM   #3
Brake is on left

Ford also uses the CP4 pump too.
I rarely let the tank go below 1/4 and often fill up at 1/2. Partly because the machine cuts off credit cards at $90 so 30 gallons is about all I get anyway.
The Evil Twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 12:23 PM   #4

2014 GMC Duramax w/60K on motor...never an issue. I know a few with trucks in those date ranges with well over 100K on the motors and no issues with pump.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 01:00 PM   #5
Grammar Pedant

Quote:
Originally Posted by upflying View Post
I thought the pump failures were caused by owners running out of fuel which damages the pump from lack of lubrication.
While that could be a cause, it's certainly not the only cause.

In mid-2018, My brother was towing a smallish utility trailer from Denver to Louisville, KY with a 2016 GMC Denali 6.6 Duramax with 42,000 miles on it. Somewhere in KS, his truck just cut out and stopped. Towed to a dealership ... and CP4 pump failure. Between parts delivery and labor, this was a 3 week quoted job -- 2 weeks for parts, 1 week for the actual job. All under warranty. My brother traded it in on a 2018 GMC Denali 6.6 Duramax so he could complete his move.

This summer, he got a DEF failure that was probably due to a bad DEF tank sensor. That was it for him; couldn't trust his truck anymore and couldn't afford to be stranded on the side of the road again. Traded that in on a 2019 Ford Explorer ... the Ford dealership came and towed away his Duramax.

But, back to the CP4 issue, I think most of the failures were like my brother's: just random failures during normal driving. Some suggest off-brand diesel isn't as lubricating as Shell/Exxon/Big Brands. Some suggest that too much biodiesel causes lack of lubrication. Some suggest a lubricating additive is necessary. Some suggest the CP4 pump is inherently designed/manufactured poorly. And, so on. I don't pretend to know the true root cause.

Cheers.

RV: 2018 Rockwood Mini Lite 2504S
TV: 2019 F-350 Lariat 4WD CCSB 6.7 PSD 3.55, 3,591 lb payload
Former RV: 2007 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah
Former TV: 2005 F-150 King Ranch 4WD SCrew 5.4L Tow Package
67L48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 01:24 PM   #6
Just as confused as you

Around here all diesel comes from the same terminal, doesn't matter if it's Amoco, BP, Mobile, Shell, Kwik Trip or Cenex. Many times the carrier doesn't have a brand on the tanker, just the trucking company name on the tractor. Closest terminals are in Madison and Stevens Point. Some of the Stevens Point trucks fill up in Madison and vice versa. Just depends on which is closest when they need to refill. When I worked at Petro-Portage years ago the driver brought his first load from Stevens Point then went to Madison which was closer for his second load to Petro.
Camping since 1989, seasonal since 2000
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
The Faster I Go, The Behinder I Get.
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 02:14 PM   #7

I know Ford was sued as well in a class action.. Seems pretty known now that the CP4 pump is a higher risk of failure. Whether it ever acutally fails is the roll of the dice I suppose. Probably such a small failure rate, but if even .5% failed for the exact same reason thats a pretty significant number and highly suspect. I read through the class action gainst Ford 1 day when I was bored here at work. Pretty interesting, as some folks sued because they had actual damage related to the pump failing and I think a few joined in becasue of lack of trust in the vehicle or potential problems down the road was cutting into their enjoyement factor or something. I know folks on the cummins forum are fairly divided right now as the 2019 went with the CP4 while 2018's like mine and some older stuck with the cp3 which has proven fairly reliable.
Joyfully Towed with a 2018 RAM 3500 6.7 G56
ronheater70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 02:49 PM   #8

A couple of months ago Trailer Life had an article on this same subject.

Diesel Heart Transplant: Duramax CP3 Swap | Trailer Life
woo10-210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 02:50 PM   #9

The Bosch CP3 and the CP4 fuel pumps are both rotating piston pumps. Neither pump can tolerate cavation (air in the fuel) lack of lubricicty or water in the fuel. The CP3 fuel pump is a little more forgiving than the CP4 is because the CP4 is operating at higher pressure and closer tolerances than the CP3.

I think one of the issue with the Chevy/GMC fuel delivery system is the lack of a in tank low pressure fuel pump such as Ram/Dodge uses to prime the high pressure pump (CP3/CP4). The lack of this low pressure fuel pump will eventually can cause issues with the high pressure pump do to the distance required to suck the fuel from the tank and up hill to the high pressure pump on the engine. Maybe on the Chevy/GMC when they used the CP3 this could handle the long suction line better but the CP4 could have issues with this length.

So, in my humble opinion if I owned a truck with the CP4 fuel pump that did not have a low pressure delivery pump in the fuel tank. I would install a FAST inline fuel delivery double filter pump on the truck. I would also never allow the fuel tank to go below 1/4 full as the fuel is used to cool the pump also as the unused fuel is returned to the tank.

As a side note VW also used the Bosch CP4 fuel pump on their Diesel engines. I have instructed my DW, she is never ever allowed to let the fuel gauge to go below a 1/4 tank full on her VW TDI.

Tags
diesel, fuel, sold, truck