Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-12-2018, 02:23 PM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post

(A) It still amazes me to read all the derogatory comments about wives/females and parking. If your partner can't guide you in, it's as much your fault as anyone's.

(B) If you want your partner to really understand how to guide you in to a spot, or visa-versa, they have to have experience in driving/backing the rig.

(C) You have to have clear communication worked out before your first backing experience.
A--I was certainly NOT saying anything "derogatory" about my lady. Please note that I said "It's not her fault. It simply is what it is."

Your point (B) does not consider that some folks (male and female) will never EVER back up a 5th Wheel and asking them to do it would be objectively ridiculous. It's nice that your wife can do it, but that is not a requirement for my lady.

C--As for "clear communication," how about in my own driveway saying "The ONLY thing I want you to watch for is that the trailer does not hit this tree limb (pointing out the tree and limb). Going dead slow, I first heard the crunch, then heard "STOP!!!. If you can think of a clearer way to say "tell me before this trailer hits this tree," then please tell me. I no longer ask her to help backing up. I have no issues with others helping me back up.

My lady has many capabilities that I do not have. If she lacks this one capability, no problem. If there is nobody else around to help, the GOAL system works fine. Just takes a little longer and there is no stress for either of us.
Slow Moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 02:31 PM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougW View Post
One handy little trick is to put a wheel chock or some such thing where you want the tires of the camper to end up. Gives you a target to aim for.
My spot at home is difficult and requires close precision to park without blocking the carport. I use your handy little trick as a helpful aid. I use a 4x4 wood block that also serves as a stop just before my 5er contacts home's roof gutter.
Slow Moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 02:59 PM   #63

I just got my fiver in December. I was a bit nervous also but it quickly comes to you. I now can stab it in in most places in the first shot. Maybe one pull up to adjust here and there. I agree with having the wife on speakerphone /bluetooth. TOW MIRRORS! I picked up my silverback with the regular mirrors and it was sketchy as hell. As soon as I got home I was on amazon. Take your time and just have fun!
robbiels7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 03:02 PM   #64

By the way know your clearances. If it helps try on YouTube 11"8.
robbiels7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 06:24 PM   #65

My wife and I have been towing boats and trailers almost since the day we were married nearly 45 years ago. We have agreed upon a set of rules and a set of hand signals that have served us well for all those years. Rule # 1: No Yelling. Rule #2 - see Rule #1.

When backing our 5er into a tight spot, she stands behind the rig and understands that she must remain visible to me in our backup mirrors. She points to the direction where the trailer needs to go, then indicates when I need to straighten out, and that's about it. Occasionally she will extend her middle finger and raise a closed fist, which means, "Stop you A-Hole!!"
Jakieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 08:36 PM   #66
Bene Gesserit Rule

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow Moon View Post
A--I was certainly NOT saying anything "derogatory" about my lady. Please note that I said "It's not her fault. It simply is what it is."

Your point (B) does not consider that some folks (male and female) will never EVER back up a 5th Wheel and asking them to do it would be objectively ridiculous. It's nice that your wife can do it, but that is not a requirement for my lady.

C--As for "clear communication," how about in my own driveway saying "The ONLY thing I want you to watch for is that the trailer does not hit this tree limb (pointing out the tree and limb). Going dead slow, I first heard the crunch, then heard "STOP!!!. If you can think of a clearer way to say "tell me before this trailer hits this tree," then please tell me. I no longer ask her to help backing up. I have no issues with others helping me back up.

My lady has many capabilities that I do not have. If she lacks this one capability, no problem. If there is nobody else around to help, the GOAL system works fine. Just takes a little longer and there is no stress for either of us.
X2: My DW will never ever be the right person to help with parking. I know it and so does she. She can't yell loud enough for me to hear, has trouble understanding what hand signals should be used and even has trouble pushing the press-to-talk button on the two-way hand-helds and gets in a flap and flustered if anything even hints it might go wrong. Mechanically she is hopeless. Not her fault, it's just the way it is. In other areas, (eg: finance) she is an absolute wiz and I would be broke and busted if not for her. Her cooking ain't bad either.

By choice, she will never drive my truck and therefore would never experience reversing it. I am sure this wouldn't change even if I was lying, dying on the side of the road. She does OK with her little Suzuki but won't even drive my Maxima. It can be an issue sometimes, creating more work than necessary, but as I said, that's the way it is. We will have been happily married for 50 years this coming September.
Murbella7 is offline   Reply With Quote