Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-01-2010, 04:52 PM   #1

Level or nose high

This is my first 5th wheel. Picked it up in Ohio so have put about 1200 miles on it. It is a little noise high. It rides fairly good except on cement roads with the big seems in the road then I get jerking back and forth. I let off throttle and it stops. I have about 8 inches of bed clearance so I can come down some. My question is what is the best way to pull it as close to level as possible or a little nose high?
Old 08-01-2010, 05:03 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayouownbeer View Post
This is my first 5th wheel. Picked it up in Ohio so have put about 1200 miles on it. It is a little noise high. It rides fairly good except on cement roads with the big seems in the road then I get jerking back and forth. I let off throttle and it stops. I have about 8 inches of bed clearance so I can come down some. My question is what is the best way to pull it as close to level as possible or a little nose high?
Welcome to FRF
Was the trailer empty?
If the tires are too hard it may bump you around.
I see you have a 4x4 Ford. What type of tires and suspension do you have on the truck?
How fast were you going?
Yes it maybe too high in front if you have too much weight in the rear of the trailer. Do you have a rear kitchen?

I suspect the trailer was empty with nothing in it and that is why it is nose up and loose.
After you get your stuff inside then take a look again and decide.

This is the place to ask questions being this is your first 5th wheel.
Good luck.
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 05:39 PM   #3

Yes it was empty. The tires where set to 80 psi. Checked them before leaving Ohio. The truck suspension is stock. All-terrain tires. I have firestone air bags on it as well. Well I would have to slow down to 50 -55 on the cement roads. I think part of the problem is when the jerking starts then my foot is bouncing on the accelerator as well making it worse. I click off the tow/haul and it shifts into overdrive helps to as the throttle is not sensitive. Black top roads it pulls no problem. No kitchen is in mid. of trailer. There is bunk house in back. Tongue weight is suppose to be around 1900lb. I leveled the truck out with the air bags and trailer is about 2 inches noise high from front to back I'm guessing. I have room to move my hitch down and pin box. Was just wandering if It would be better to pull level or with little nose up. Thanks for the help
Old 08-01-2010, 06:07 PM   #4

Quote:
Yes it was empty. The tires where set to 80 psi. Checked them before leaving Ohio. The truck suspension is stock. All-terrain tires. I have firestone air bags on it as well. Well I would have to slow down to 50 -55 on the cement roads. I think part of the problem is when the jerking starts then my foot is bouncing on the accelerator as well making it worse. I click off the tow/haul and it shifts into overdrive helps to as the throttle is not sensitive. Black top roads it pulls no problem. No kitchen is in mid. of trailer. There is bunk house in back. Tongue weight is suppose to be around 1900lb. I leveled the truck out with the air bags and trailer is about 2 inches noise high from front to back I'm guessing. I have room to move my hitch down and pin box. Was just wandering if It would be better to pull level or with little nose up. Thanks for the help
Sounds like the typical cracks int he road that gets the traile and truck out of sequence and rocks you to death. I have had that happen alot in California where they have cement roadways and have expansion joints between sections. It becomes a roller coaster with a very bad rocking mothing in the truck and the trailer is delayed which makes it worst.
Don't worry until you ar eloaded and ready to go on your first trip. I would check it out loaded before your trip but I feel it was the type of roadway you were on that caused it.
If it still isn't level after you load I would lover the hitch 1 bolt hole. You have plenty of room.
Old 08-01-2010, 06:14 PM   #5

Yeah it is the expansion joints that are giving me the problems are roads that are in bad shape. Nothing really can do about that. With the trailer loaded I don't think change my nose up issue all though. Was thinking of leveling it out to distribute the weight more evenly over the axles but in doing so I didnt want to make my ride worse. If fifth wheels ride better with a nose up list.
Old 08-01-2010, 06:23 PM   #6

Quote:
Yeah it is the expansion joints that are giving me the problems are roads that are in bad shape. Nothing really can do about that. With the trailer loaded I don't think change my nose up issue all though. Was thinking of leveling it out to distribute the weight more evenly over the axles but in doing so I didnt want to make my ride worse. If fifth wheels ride better with a nose up list.
I have a 2003 , F-250 Crew Cab with the 6.0L Powerstroke so for me a little more hitch weight isn't a problem because I have a counter balance of the heavy diesel.
Old 08-01-2010, 07:31 PM   #7

Bayou,

There is no reason why you shouldn't be able to tow at 65 mph. First, install a set of air bags. Firestone makes a good set. With your truck and trailer, you should set the air bag pressure at 60 psi. Set up the hitch, after you load the trailer ready to camp, as level as possible. This will help the ride greatly.
milzat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 07:32 PM   #8

John I'm not talking about balancing weight on the TV. I am saying lowing my nose high trailer more level to balance weight on the trailer axles. I didn't know if this would be a good idea making the trailer ride level? If this would compromise the trailers ride.
Old 08-01-2010, 07:37 PM   #9

Ok thanks I already have the Firestone air bags and on my way home from Ohio that is where i had them set. It road good was able to pull 65 sometimes 70 depending on road conditions. Just wanted to level the trailier out more than the dealer had it. Get rid of the nose high but didn't want to affect my ride by doing so. Thanks for comments.
Old 08-01-2010, 07:49 PM   #10

Quote:
John I'm not talking about balancing weight on the TV. I am saying lowing my nose high trailer more level to balance weight on the trailer axles. I didn't know if this would be a good idea making the trailer ride level? If this would compromise the trailers ride.
The nose-high(effecting the trailer ride) is only related to a tongue-pull trailer(to a certain extent). Either lower the pin box or raise the axle mounting. If you have 8" of bed clearance, drop it to 6" or 5" with the mounting holes. 5" is all the clearance you'll need.
milzat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 07:54 PM   #11

Will do thanks.