Old 03-29-2013, 06:47 PM   #1

Leveling the 5th Wheel for Towing Comfort

Picked up the new Crusader this week and it was riding about 5" high in front on the initial setup, so we bottomed out the B&W 16K hitch to the lowest setting and adjusted the 5er pin to the highest setting. Bottom line; we're still a couple inches high up front.

I'd love to have it level as possible, but other than upgrading from the 15" wheels to 16s, or swapping out the truck's 20" rims for 18s, (or both) I don't know what else I can do.

Any advice from the experts?

Thanks in advance

'14 nights camped:
Scratch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 07:10 PM   #2

You can have a frame made to lift the trailer or the "axle flip". When I got my new truck in 2008 I had to have my fifth wheel raised by 3 inches to give me a level tow and enough clearance on the truck bed rails to be comfortable. This was done by adding 2"x 3" spacers above the axles. They also added cross braces for stability. I think they did a good job. The entrance to my driveway was pretty narrow so there was a lot of sideways pressure on the structure.

2012 Wildcat 282RKX

You can't make things idiot proof, you can only make them idiot resistant.
Filthy Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 12:54 PM   #3

I would bet that you have a four wheel drive pickup? That was a factor when I got a new F250, diesel, CC, longbed, RWD in 2011. I had heard about people having problems with the new 4WD trucks, all of them, not just Fords but Chev/GMC and Rams. When I had the hitch installed and set at the highest level, 18 inches above the bed and the pin box was set at its highest level also, it worked great lots of clearence over the truck and it rides level.
Old 04-01-2013, 07:53 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by whj77372 View Post
I would bet that you have a four wheel drive pickup? That was a factor when I got a new F250, diesel, CC, longbed, RWD in 2011. I had heard about people having problems with the new 4WD trucks, all of them, not just Fords but Chev/GMC and Rams. When I had the hitch installed and set at the highest level, 18 inches above the bed and the pin box was set at its highest level also, it worked great lots of clearence over the truck and it rides level.
Yep. Its a 4X4 and it definitely impacts the height of the front of the trailer. I think my only options (both expensive) would be to step up to 16" wheels/rims on the trailer and/or step the tire's rims down from 20" to 18". You can tell from the attached pic how it sits at this point.

I'll let it ride as is until the tires wear out. It drives reasonably enough, but I'd much prefer an even keel...
'14 nights camped:
Old 04-02-2013, 10:35 AM   #5

Mine rides a little high, no negative impacts I've noticed other that looks. Nothing else I can do minus replacing the truck or putting scooter tires on it.... none of which are an option. I would hesitate to lift the trailer. Our 320 is already over 12 feet tall.

Jason and Billie
2005 Dodge Ram 2500, 4X4, QC/SB 5.9L Cummins
15k non-sliding Hidden Hitch (they lied, it's not hidden at all)
2011 Prime Time Crusader 320RLT
"PT Crew Member Since 11/2010"
M109Rrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 06:32 PM   #6
FNG

I've got the same problem. I'm thinking about adding some blocks between the springs and the axles to lift the trailer up a few inches.
Old 04-06-2013, 10:26 PM   #7

I just went from 225 15" to 235 16" and picked up enough lift to level mine out. Here is the difference between the 2:

Old 04-06-2013, 10:51 PM   #8

Scratch, your outfit doesn't look that much out of kilter.
And I imagine you have a spring suspension under your fifth, so that will even out the load on the axles.
I would rather have mine ride a few inches high in the front, than low.
Old 04-06-2013, 11:02 PM   #9
Denver, CO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratch View Post
Yep. Its a 4X4 and it definitely impacts the height of the front of the trailer. I think my only options (both expensive) would be to step up to 16" wheels/rims on the trailer and/or step the tire's rims down from 20" to 18". You can tell from the attached pic how it sits at this point.

I'll let it ride as is until the tires wear out. It drives reasonably enough, but I'd much prefer an even keel...
Looks pretty level from that angle. How are you determining the level point?
Old 04-06-2013, 11:30 PM   #10

Tough camera angle to reflect the driveway incline. Compare the lower truck frame with the trailer frame.

The rear of the trailer is about even with the truck frame. The front of the trailer sits about two to three inches higher...

I'll try to get a level comparison when I hitch up in a couple weeks prior to the next mini-trip...

'14 nights camped: