Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-28-2012, 04:08 AM   #21

I measured my truck from center of rear axle from ground to top of truck box it is 59" and 60" from ground to tailgate at the very rear. I am still waiting for the dealer to get me the measurements of the trailer. Is it legal to flip your axle on the trailer? Or can a guy just add a block to raise the trailer?
muzbomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 08:58 AM   #22

I measured buddys same kind of truck but with stock rear blocks and it is 56" think that height would work? I could go back to stock rear block if it would work
Old 01-28-2012, 04:30 PM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

The idea is to have the camper level and a minimum of 6" clearance between the truck and the camper overhang. Less than 6" clearance runs the risk of damge to the camper or truck when maneuvering on unlevel ground. If the camper isn't near level, you're unevenly loading the camper axles/tires.

Using that height measurement of 56" for a stock truck, the measurement of the camper overhang to the ground would need to be about 62" for the camper to be level and 6" clearance between camper and truck.

Post the measurements that you get from the dealer...perhaps some other Wildcat owners could provide measurements from their camper.

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 12:45 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Monica View Post
The idea is to have the camper level and a minimum of 6" clearance between the truck and the camper overhang. Less than 6" clearance runs the risk of damge to the camper or truck when maneuvering on unlevel ground. If the camper isn't near level, you're unevenly loading the camper axles/tires.

Using that height measurement of 56" for a stock truck, the measurement of the camper overhang to the ground would need to be about 62" for the camper to be level and 6" clearance between camper and truck.

Post the measurements that you get from the dealer...perhaps some other Wildcat owners could provide measurements from their camper.

Dave
I will let you know when i get the measuement of the camper for sure. Thansk for all the help Dave.
Old 01-30-2012, 06:38 AM   #25

Well i just talked with a guy that has a 08 F350 with 5" blocks in the rear of his truck same as mine. He said he put his hitch on truck up to the highest setting and lowered his trailer king pin it works perfect. He had to put on 16" wheel on his trailer and then it sat level. So i am hoping i am going to be good after hearing this!!! Stress is over maybe!!! LOL
Old 02-03-2012, 11:48 AM   #26

Hey are the measurements the dealer gave me
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Muzechka1.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	29.0 KB
ID:	10177   Click image for larger version

Name:	Muzechka2.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	44.4 KB
ID:	10178  
Old 02-03-2012, 04:46 PM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by muzbomb View Post
Hey are the measurements the dealer gave me
I can't clearly see on the bottom photo, but it looks like the measurement is 51 1/2" from the king pin plate to the ground and 11 1/2" between the king pin plate and the underside of the fiver's overhang...total 63". Hopefully this was taken with the camper level. I see that the camper sits much higher than mine, which is 58 1/2".

You previously measured the height of the side rails of your truck at the axle centerline which was 59". Here we have to make an assumption on the amount that the rear suspension will compress when the pin weight is loaded...I'm going to assume a compression of 2". Therefore the clearance between your truck and the overhang with the camper level should be 6" ...(63 - (59 - 2)). If the compression of the suspension is less than 2", you'll have less than 6" clearance...compression more than 2", you'll have more than 6" clearance. The compresion of the suspension on my F250 is only 1 1/4" as the pin weight is only 1300 lbs.

Looks like you're in the ballpark...you could adjust for the camper to be a little nose high to have more clearance. It wouldn't be recommended to set up for less than 6" of clearance.

With the king pin plate 11 1/2" below the overhang, I can also estimate the height needed at the hitch plate, again assuming 2" of suspension compression. The hitch plate woulld need to be 5 1/2" below the height of the truck's box rails. (Compressed height of the bed rails (57") minus the height of the king pin plate (51 1/2"). That should be adequate to get you home and fine tune later.

Dave

Old 02-03-2012, 04:54 PM   #28

Quote:
I can't clearly see on the bottom photo, but it looks like the measurement is 51 1/2" from the king pin plate to the ground and 11 1/2" between the king pin plate and the underside of the fiver's overhang...total 63". Hopefully this was taken with the camper level. I see that the camper sits much higher than mine, which is 58 1/2".

You previously measured the height of the side rails of your truck at the axle centerline which was 59". Here we have to make an assumption on the amount that the rear suspension will compress when the pin weight is loaded...I'm going to assume a compression of 2". Therefore the clearance between your truck and the overhang with the camper level should be 6" ...(63 - (59 - 2)). If the compression of the suspension is less than 2", you'll have less than 6" clearance...compression more than 2", you'll have more than 6" clearance. The compresion of the suspension on my F250 is only 1 1/4" as the pin weight is only 1300 lbs.

Looks like you're in the ballpark...you could adjust for the camper to be a little nose high to have more clearance. It wouldn't be recommended to set up for less than 6" of clearance.

With the king pin plate 11 1/2" below the overhang, I can also estimate the height needed at the hitch plate, again assuming 2" of suspension compression. The hitch plate woulld need to be 5 1/2" below the height of the truck's box rails. (Compressed height of the bed rails (57") minus the height of the king pin plate (51 1/2"). That should be adequate to get you home and fine tune later.

Dave
Hey Dave do you think it would be a good idea to get the dealer ship to lower the king pin on the trailer as much as they can just for now be for they deliver it to the border and i go get it. Just to give me that extra just to get it home?
Old 02-03-2012, 05:14 PM   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Hey Dave do you think it would be a good idea to get the dealer ship to lower the king pin on the trailer as much as they can just for now be for they deliver it to the border and i go get it. Just to give me that extra just to get it home?
It'd be a lot easier to set the hitch plate height higher, 4 to 4 1/2 " below the truck's bed rails. Lowering the king pin much bigger, two man job. Bring your tools with you just in case. On my Reese Pro Series hitch, height adjustment is a 5 minute job.

Dave

Old 02-03-2012, 05:19 PM   #30

Quote:
It'd be a lot easier to set the hitch plate height higher, 4 to 4 1/2 " below the truck's bed rails. Lowering the king pin much bigger, two man job. Bring your tools with you just in case. On my Reese Pro Series hitch, height adjustment is a 5 minute job.

Dave
Ya thats why i was thinking i would get my dealer to lower the king pin on the trailer, cause they would be able to do it very easy rather then me having to do it? If they put it on the lowest setting then it work to get it home and i could mess around with it at home after.
Old 02-03-2012, 05:44 PM   #31
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Ya thats why i was thinking i would get my dealer to lower the king pin on the trailer, cause they would be able to do it very easy rather then me having to do it? If they put it on the lowest setting then it work to get it home and i could mess around with it at home after.
I'd still suggest that you avoid adjusting the king pin. You'll have enough adjustment of the hitch for adequate safety. My hitch is set 4 3/4" below the truck's bed rails and it can still be raised one set of holes or another 1 1/4" higher.

I'd only adjust the king pin height if I had no more adjustment at the hitch.

What hitch are you planning on installing?

Dave

Old 02-03-2012, 06:15 PM   #32

I have a 16K Reese hitch with a sidewinder that i will be putting on the trailer when i get it home.