Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-06-2014, 09:59 AM   #1
Chief

Lippert 1621 king pin

Need some help. We just bought a Columbus 320RL. It came with a Lippert 1621 king pin. My TV is a 2010 Ram, Cummins, 2500HD, with a short bed. (6').
We bought a Pull rite #2700 Super slide. Mounted it in the rails that were in the bed. Installed the capture plate. I have only hooked up the fiver to the truck at our storage place. Backed straight up. King pin clears the tailgate and looks like it just might clear the top of the bed rails. I don't know what will happen when the hitch tilts side to side or if I hit a dip. Can't tell by looking if it will clear bed rails or the tailgate when turning and actuating the slide function. Distance between bed rails is 64".

Before I bought the rig and hitch I emailed Pullrite and asked if the hitch would work with the truck and the 2700. Reply was I would be just fine.

I don't think adjusting the king pin will alleviate this potential problem. There is no height adjustment to the hitch that I can see. Could add shims between the bed and rails to raise the hitch. Could also add 1 to 2 inches height by adding bar stock and welding it to the bottom of the base rail foot assembly?
ctbutler3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 10:40 AM   #2

You need about 5-6 '' of height at the bedrails and trailer . There should be some adjustment at the hitch and kingpin box. You might have to flip the axles on the trailer ( put the springs on top of axels)
Old 04-06-2014, 12:21 PM   #3
Chief

Thanks. I'm emailing Pull right and Lippert to see if they have any suggestions. If I had a shorter king pin or the hitch was about 2 inches higher in the bed I wouldn't a problem. I used to serve with a John McClain at 4th ID. You aren't by any chance him are you?
Old 04-06-2014, 02:33 PM   #4
MC9

You are worrying about the wrong stuff. All you care is how many inches the plate of the pin box is below the bottom of the fiver and how many inches the hitch is below the side of the TV box. Both are adjustable. The pin is always below the tailgate.
MC9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 05:02 PM   #5
Chief

MC9

Thanks, but the height of the SuperSlide isn't adjustable. Hitch is about 2" below side of pickup and 2-3/4 below the tailgate. I'm worried about the length of the king pin. Its 28 inches from the center of the pin to the point where it begins to angle upwards and ends about 38 inches from the center of the pin. As the pin slides back when the hitch works in a turn, I'm afraid that the tail gate will get crunched. Since my bed is 62 inches wide, the length of the should be less than half of that shouldn't it" Half would be 31 inches and if the pin to back of the pin box is 38 inches wouldn't I have a problem. Doesn't the pin box have to completely be above the bed? Thanks.
Old 04-06-2014, 07:01 PM   #6
MC9

I stand corrected, I see the hitch does not adjust up and down. The pin box does adjust but that just corrects the fifth wheel height in relation to the bed. I have the Pullrite Super Slide in my long bed truck. I would still be surprised if it is a problem because the Lippert 1621 is on nearly all 5rs. I have the 1" longer pins (Pullrite traded me) because of my bed liner.
Old 04-06-2014, 07:55 PM   #7
Chief

yeah I know they are on nearly all 5r's. When I do hook up there is just a little bit of daylite between the level part of the Lippert and the bed rails. Just don't want to damage a really nice truck. I don't think it will be problem as long as pulling on straight and level. Don't know what will happen when I go over a dip or up over the crest of a rise. Probably OK but ... if it was a gooseneck I'd just put an extension on it. Thanks for the info though, very helpful. I have emailed pull rite and hope a I get an all OK response. I could always get my fab shop to weld on a 1-1/2 or 2" plate on the bottom of the mounts and rebuild the bottom.
That would raise the hitch and give the hitch clearance over the bed rails. Time will tell I guess.
Thanks!
Old 04-06-2014, 08:36 PM   #8
MC9

I just walked down to my neighbor that has your same set-up. Not a problem. Sleep tight..
Old 04-07-2014, 09:23 PM   #9

I have a Pullrite, Lippert 1624 and a 6.5" bed (F150). I have no problems with the hitch clearing the tailgate and the bed rails when turning. I would hitch it up, go for a short pull around the storage lot and just have someone stand outside the truck and watch as you work through the turns. As long as you have 6 inches (I have 8) between the Fiver overhang and the top of the bed rails, you should be in good shape.
Fiver: '15 Puma 295BHSS Anniversary Edition
Past TV: '13 F150 HD Payload SCrew EB, '08 Tundra CrewMax 5.7L, '02 'Burb 5.3L, '97 Dakota 3.9L
Past Trailers: '09 Wildwood LE 27RB, '02 Palomino Yearling RL, '87 Jayco 1006dlx
campingwilliamsons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 11:36 AM   #10
Chief

Thanks to all who responded. We hooked it up and drove around the storage yard a couple of times and backed back into our storage spot. All worked well. Have about 8-1/2" of clearance. Just overly concerned. Must have been an optical illusion that caused my concern. Couldn't take it out on road as we are still waiting on paperwork needed to register in CO from RV Wholesalers.
Old 04-14-2014, 09:03 AM   #11

You did not get temp plates from RVW? They had my paperwork to me in about 22 days. I think I had 1 day left on the temp tag when I went and registered it (last week), but I had the paperwork for almost a week at that point.
Past TV: '13 F150 HD Payload SCrew EB, '08 Tundra CrewMax 5.7L, '02 'Burb 5.3L, '97 Dakota 3.9L
Past Trailers: '09 Wildwood LE 27RB, '02 Palomino Yearling RL, '87 Jayco 1006dlx
Old 04-14-2014, 10:12 AM   #12
Chief

We did, but only 30 days from Ohio. They still haven't gotten me the title and I need that before I can get the sheriff to do a VIN verification. Then I can take that, the bill of sale and title and register it in Colorado. RV Wholesalers says this happens all the time. They are going to have to issue us another 30 day temp tag
Old 04-15-2014, 12:38 PM   #13

Gotcha. Tx will issue temp tags with bill of sale. Maybe CO can do the same?
Old 04-15-2014, 01:32 PM   #14
Chief

CO won't. RVW is avenging another Ohio 30 day tag. All should be well soon. Thanks again for your help and concern.