Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-02-2018, 05:25 PM   #1

Lippert Pin Box

For those with 5th wheels, i have a question. while im not new to trailering or towing, i am new to a fifth wheel. we took delivery of a 2108 unit (not Forest river this time...but not specific to the question) and after our first use of the 5er i noticed rusting under the pin box around the pin. i have pics ill post, but they are not the best quality, but the rusting in my opinion is going to cause degradation issue on the attachment point of a 135000 5er to my truck...not to mention the staining all over my hitch and bed...

Ive contacted lippert and they say this is normal wear and tear on pin box (even with a friction plate in place) and that i should paint the hitch box. Im just looking for opinions on "normal" wear and tear. if the consensus is this is a maintenance issue on a pin box used twice to tow in six weeks, and it is infact normal, then ill accept it....if not ill be raising the issue further at lippert.

thanks in advance.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2338.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	154.2 KB
ID:	188110   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2337.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	209.4 KB
ID:	188111   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2336.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	284.0 KB
ID:	188112   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2335.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	303.3 KB
ID:	188113   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2342.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	265.1 KB
ID:	188114  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2341.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	371.4 KB
ID:	188115  
Old 10-02-2018, 05:35 PM   #2

I would agree with the assessment that, from what is shown in the pics, there is no more than normal wear on the pin. Additionally, I would agree with the suggestion to prep and repaint the pin box to stop any further unsightly rusting or staining of the lube plate.
tom39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 05:36 PM   #3

thanks Tom. the pictures aren't the best as the are from the iphone. the rusting and paint flake is from the pin box but around the the circumference of the friction plate.

Just want to make sure I'm not going to experience any premature failing.

i didn't think that with the friction plate id have metal to metal contact...
Old 10-02-2018, 05:52 PM   #4

The rust does make a mess of things but from looking at your B&W face plate it dosen't appear that you have metal to metal contact. Which is a good thing. It looks more like runoff coming from the pinbox.
IMO, I believe that the reason there is no paint on the pinbox plate was that when the trailer was towed to the dealership the transport driver did not use a lube plate and wore the paint from the surface. Now everytime it rains or the surface gets wet it continues to rust and get on everything and make a mess.
If it were me, and I have done this, I would sand the pinbox plate and kingpin, wipe it with a cleaner like lacquer thinner and give it a coat of primer and a few good coats of spray paint. Let it dry for about a week or more. Clean up your lube plate and reinstall.
My guess is that if you do that you will never have this problem again.
BTW: If you don't already, you are going to love your B&W hitch. I have the companion hitch (just not a slider) and couldn't come up with one negative thing to say about it.

Hope it helps,
Tom
Old 10-02-2018, 05:57 PM   #5

Thanks Tom. I appreciate the advice, and will try and get it done before season end. and of course, a good explanation...never really considered that i guess. i have 2 more trips, one a bit of a haul to WI from Niagara falls area in Canada, but will get it sorted by the end of October. I'm assuming tremclad will do the trick?

So far, i couldn't be happier with the B&W. i didn't have the fifth wheel prep in my ram, so i installed the turnover ball and couldn't be happier. over all a great product, unreal quality and works as expected. except, and call me crazy, I'm a perfectionist, the rust staining from the pinbox makes me crazy! i keep the trailer and TV in great condition!

i wax the hitch! haha
Old 10-02-2018, 06:11 PM   #6

Or if you don't want to go through the trouble of painting your pinbox, you could upgrade the pinbox to a TrailAir or FlexAir pinbox.

It is a chunk of change but is, IMO worth every cent. I have the TrailAir and the difference in towing is night and day.
Old 10-02-2018, 06:19 PM   #7

good point. i thought if it was a defect id ask to pay the difference to upgrade...but since its been deemed normal wear and tear, the upgrade might have to wait until next year. i really don't experience much chucking (except on the deceleration using my engine brake).

im hoping next year to upgrade the pin box, upgrade (or not depending on opinion) to the lippert or moryde steps entry steps and a satellite antenna.
Old 10-02-2018, 06:27 PM   #8

does that lippert pin box have four 1/2 holes in the top mine does and I found that when it rains or when I washed the fiver it would fill pin box with water and leak out the bottom and make a mess on the hitch and truck bed. I put four plastic snap in covers in them and now I get no water in the pin box and no more rust on everything.

2001 Ford F-350 DRW 7.3
2011 25 RL Wildcat
former fiver 1976 Fourwinds had for 35 years
onetonford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 06:28 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by onetonford View Post
does that lippert pin box have four 1/2 holes in the top mine does and I found that when it rains or when I washed the fiver it would fill pin box with water and leak out the bottom and make a mess on the hitch and truck bed. I put four plastic snap in covers in them and now I get no water in the pin box and no more rust on everything.
ill have to check...thanks.