Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-25-2012, 10:54 PM   #1

Little or BIG problem

Purchased a 2012 F150, with EcoBost,3:15 axle a month ago.

Dealer installed:
Towing Mirrors
7 Pin plug
Hitch

Truck does not have the special rad or transmission cooling.

At the discussion before the sale I was reviewing with the dealership owner how big a trailer we could pull with the truck. He checked and said 3:15 axle ratio there fore we could pull 8,600 pounds. Most of the trailers I was looking at were max 7,600 GVW.

We went ahead and have made a down payment on a trailer that weighs 6,200 with a max GVWR of 7,600.

So all should be good..... BUT
when looking at the hitch today I discovered it's max rating is 5,000 pounds.

I am hoping this is a little problem - that they just need to install a different hitch.

Comments?
QuietTimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 11:44 PM   #2
Site Team

problem is you didn't get a truck with the factory tow package, which is required to tow the amount that the dealer told you.
you only got part of the factory tow package, therefore it's not fully equipped to tow the 8600lbs.

sounds like the dealer was trying to unload a truck and gave you a line.

first, it sounds like the hitch RECEIVER they installed is not adequate.
second, there's no way you should be towing the amount you want to, without the tow package radiator/tranny cooling.

you'll need to have them put a receiver capable of towing what you want and you should really hit them about the radiator/tranny cooling issue.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 08:16 AM   #3

Check the details

Ford Says:
"Do not exceed trailer weight of 5,000 lbs. when towing with bumper only."

If you have the standard hitch Class IV hitch receiver, it is rated 5,000 lbs. Recommend you check the details and should see it's rated much higher with the installation of a weight-distributing hitch.

Our F150, ecoboost, 3.73 axle is rated 5,000 lbs. on the factory installed hitch, though jumps to 11,300 Lbs with a weight-distributing hitch.

If your truck does not have it, then you have a problem. The max. towing package includes the hitch receiver, wiring plugs, cooling and built-in brake controller. Recommend you talk to the dealer, get the details on the trucks ratings, then have a sitdown talk with their management if they misrepresentated the vehicle.

Also, on any tow vehicle combination, recommend you have a quality anti-sway system installed. Use a knowledgeable professional, the proper setup is very important.
HorseyHauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 08:29 AM   #4
Site Team - Lou

I hate dishonest dealers most of all.
FAR too many in my opinion.

There should be a bounty on them.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 08:36 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by HorseyHauler View Post
The standard Class IV hitch is rated 5K. Recommend you check the details and should see it's rated much higher with the installation of load leveling hitch components.

Our F150, ecoboost, 3.73 axle is rated 5K on the factory installed hitch, though jumps to 11,300 Lbs with load leveling installed.
A hitch rated for 5000 lb. maximum is a Class III hitch. Class IV hitches are rated for up to 12,000 lbs.

The Ford dealer that sold the OP a truck that was not built to tow and then tries to get the vehicle up to snuff is not a good dealer in my book.

The hitch and bumpers on the Ford trucks are integrated....the bumpers are actually mounted to the hitch. Without a factory hitch, the bumpers are mounted differently. I am not sure how good an aftermarket hitch is, as it is mounted much differently than the factory units.

After all the work done to this truck, it is still missing the bigger radiator, auxiliary transmission cooler, and probably a bigger alternator. Many of the newer trucks also come with trailer sway control and integrated trailer braking.

If I were the OP, I would take the truck back, and make a deal on a truck that was built to tow by the factory. If the dealer doesn't want to deal, then threaten to report him for the previous bad dealings.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 09:37 AM   #6

It's a Ford Hitch. Going to talk to the dealer today. The specs on the truck state"

Conventional towing - Max Loaded Trailer Weight Ratings (Reduced by Passenger and Cargo Weight)

Engine 3.5L EcoBoost - Axle Ratio 3:15 - GCWR 14,000 - SuperCab 145" WB 4X2 = 8,600

The same engine and cab with Axle Ratio of 3:55 can pull 9,800.

Only the Axle Ratio 3:73 has a supercript number relating to "Requires Max. Trailer Tow Package" and outfited that way can pull 11,300.

or so the book says.
QuietTimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 11:22 AM   #7

main issue as I see it is the 3.15:1 gears, with this high a gear ration towing will be almost impossible for anything over 4000lbs. To get a decent towing capacity you need at least the 3.73:1 gears.

2012 Winnebago "Journey To Insanity" 40U
2008 Dakota Sport 4x4
2004 Subaru Baja - DW's
2006 Honda Shadow Aero - TOAD for now.
F.R.O.G. member
lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 11:26 AM   #8

Hitch Ratings

Our F-150 has a Class IV factory mounted hitch. The hitch is rated by Ford at 5,000 Lbs. as weight-carrying and jumps to 11,300 lbs. as a weight-distributing hitch.

Agree with lindy above. The 3.15:1 gears will make your hauling life miserable with a 7600 lb. trailer. The ecoboost has excellent low-end torque, though you will be winding the engine to get up to speed and watch your gas mileage drop....
HorseyHauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 12:40 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuietTimes View Post
It's a Ford Hitch. Going to talk to the dealer today. The specs on the truck state"

Conventional towing - Max Loaded Trailer Weight Ratings (Reduced by Passenger and Cargo Weight)

Engine 3.5L EcoBoost - Axle Ratio 3:15 - GCWR 14,000 - SuperCab 145" WB 4X2 = 8,600

The same engine and cab with Axle Ratio of 3:55 can pull 9,800.

Only the Axle Ratio 3:73 has a supercript number relating to "Requires Max. Trailer Tow Package" and outfited that way can pull 11,300.

or so the book says.
I've never been part of the weight police before but even after you add the trans cooler and auxillary radiator you will be at the max of the towing capacity for your truck. I think one of the keys to this is the GCWR of 14,000. Your trailer will not be ready to camp at 6,200 lbs. You will easily add 1,000 lbs. to it with full propane tanks, dealer options, camping gear, etc. That means you are looking to tow at least 7,200 lbs. Add the weight of your vehicle which I'm guessing is around 6,000 lbs. and you only have 800 lbs. left for passengers, bikes, and all the other stuff you will want to take along and these are optimistic numbers. Again, I don't want to be a negative Ned but this will not be a pleasant towing experience.
punkaccountant is offline   Reply With Quote