Old 11-30-2015, 10:13 PM   #1

Loading my bike on my travel trailer toy hauler

I just picked my vengeance today. I was shown how to set the hitch and stabilizer bars. I'm ready to load my Harley street glide on but I have questions.
Do I have to I hitch from the truck every time I want to load or unload?
Do I have to reset the chains on the bars with the added weight?
Thanks in advance

Old 11-30-2015, 10:25 PM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Actually when you load bike you'll typically loose weight off the hitch , not gain it.

Old 11-30-2015, 10:42 PM   #3
Usually Confused Member

I've loaded my Softail D both hitched and unhitched. The only difference is the actual hitch weight drops by 90 pounds. The front axle of the Harley is just about centered over the Vengeance rear axle. I think your SG is about 150 pounds heavier but it should get similar results.

Vengeance 25V (the Harley needed a home)
emm-dee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 07:04 AM   #4

Load either way. If unhitched make sure you lower the rear jacks. I ride an FLRT (was on a Tri Glide before) and I have to raise the nose of the trailer to avoid hitting the frame when loading. Once loaded I have less weight on the hitch. Current trike comes in @ #1100.

2015 W&P 25CB/ 2011 F250 6.7L Diesel
2015 HD FLRT/2009 HD XL1200L

US Army, 1979-1990 95BZ6
Keystone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 07:22 AM   #5

So if I load it hitched do I put down the rear jacks and not make any stabilalizor bar adjustments?
Old 12-01-2015, 07:49 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark onofrio View Post
So if I load it hitched do I put down the rear jacks and not make any stabilalizor bar adjustments?
Correct if you have the rear frame jacks deployed No need to unhook or worry,most members must (Decrease the exit angle to Load/Unload Motor Bikes! Youroo!!
Old 12-01-2015, 08:16 AM   #7
Usually Confused Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
Correct if you have the rear frame jacks deployed No need to unhook or worry,most members must (Decrease the exit angle to Load/Unload Motor Bikes! Youroo!!
Not sure which model Vengeance the OP has but my -25V has a sloping floor in the very back. There is plenty of clearance below my frame, which is lower than the Street Glide. I've also loaded with the jacks retracted. The Vengeance is pretty forward-heavy.

As far as the WD hitch goes I'll defer to someone with a lot more knowledge than me. I'm still trying to figure it out. With my Harley loaded the hitch weight drops from 980 to 900 pounds.

Vengeance 25V (the Harley needed a home)
emm-dee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 08:22 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark onofrio View Post

You don't have to. Nose of the trailer will only go as high as the hitch allows. However I always do. Stops the trailer from bouncing around. On my last trailer I could load most of the time with out raising the trailer nose provided I was on a relatively level area and I had 50# of air in my rear trike shocks. Trikes tend to have more issues with hitting on frame/mufflers than two wheel bikes. Bikes that have been lowered such as the Street Glide and XL1200L might need the angle adjusted.

2015 W&P 25CB/ 2011 F250 6.7L Diesel
2015 HD FLRT/2009 HD XL1200L

US Army, 1979-1990 95BZ6
Keystone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 12:27 PM   #9

Loaded Boss Hoss so many time when 5th wheel attached to truck never put rear hydraulic jack down level ground or not bike weight 1200 have slop in trailer bike don't touch ground
Old 12-01-2015, 12:39 PM   #10

I have an XLR Hyperlite 27HFS and loading my Street Glide I have to bring the tongue up or I will bottom out the frame of the bike. Your Vengeance has that "beaver tail" so that helps. My buddy has one and doesn't usually have a problem loading his Road Glide which is the same height. depends on the terrain you are on. if the trailer is headed down hill that helps by decreasing the tailgate angle...so heading up hill will make it worse so then you might have to raise the tongue.
But its not necessary to put down stabilizers, hitched or unhitched. I have loaded and unloaded both, hitched and unhitched.

-2012 Harley Davidson Street Glide (his)
-2004 Harley Davidson Fatboy (hers)
RVBikers is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bike, toy hauler, trailer, travel, travel trailer