Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-09-2017, 06:14 PM   #1

Locking hitch pins?

So I really don't want to have to continue to remove my blue ox tow bar for my toad behind my coach.... But I also don't want it to disappear. I have been looking at the locking hitch pins. I would need 2 because I have a drop hitch also.

Does anyone have any advise? It seems like there would be a higher rate of failure if the lock popped off as opposed to the pins with a cotter pins..... Maybe it's just my false preconceptions.

If I'm going to get them I would like them keyed alike.
Rdifuccia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 06:23 PM   #2

E-Trailer has them...

Trailer Hitch Receiver Lock, # 7683. You can choose the keyed alike option and then select the quantity and you receive all the locks keyed alike. The hitch pin lock does not have a specific capacity but it is more than strong enough for your application.
2021 Chevy Silverado 3500HD DRW 4X4 Duramax
“It's not how old you are, it's how you are old.”Jules Renard
"It's not the years...it's the mileage." - Indiana Jones
Capt. Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 07:59 PM   #3

I had to cut a lockable pin off yesterday on another vehicle I use. Road salts seemed to seize the lock cylinder and would not unlock. First I have had this problem. I will get another lock. I do recommend Stainless steel vs. chrome locks and oil locks frequently (learning from mistakes). ALWAYS HAVE KEY AT ALL TIMES!!! and the spare handy.(learned from other mistakes)

2016 Ford F250 XLT 4X4 6.2L
2015 Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329SS
Hensley Arrow
uhduh camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 08:14 PM   #4
2007 WildCat 32QBBS

You can pick up a BOLT HITCH PIN. They "learn" your ignition key so you'll always have it.
Here's the link for one for a Ford (to match your FR3) on Amazon.
https://www.amazon.com/BOLT-7018447-.../dp/B005FNKFZ2

And here's their website.
https://www.boltlock.com/
They also make other types of locks such as padlocks.
18CrewDually is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 10:46 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by uhduh camping View Post
I had to cut a lockable pin off yesterday on another vehicle I use. Road salts seemed to seize the lock cylinder and would not unlock. First I have had this problem. I will get another lock. I do recommend Stainless steel vs. chrome locks and oil locks frequently (learning from mistakes). ALWAYS HAVE KEY AT ALL TIMES!!! and the spare handy.(learned from other mistakes)
Had a similar experience trying to remove an adjustable drop hitch when trading in my f-350. Took a lot of oil and quite a few whacks with a hammer before I could get the key in and turning.

Sad part was I did all of that work to get the pin out and somebody came out with paperwork questions and I flat forgot to remove the hitch. Went back to the dealer the next morning and no surprise I was told....it wasn't in there when they went over it

$250 lesson learned

Moral of the story....oil/grease/anti seize/whatever if you get one.
ProCharger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 10:05 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProCharger View Post
Had a similar experience trying to remove an adjustable drop hitch when trading in my f-350. Took a lot of oil and quite a few whacks with a hammer before I could get the key in and turning.

Sad part was I did all of that work to get the pin out and somebody came out with paperwork questions and I flat forgot to remove the hitch. Went back to the dealer the next morning and no surprise I was told....it wasn't in there when they went over it

$250 lesson learned

Moral of the story....oil/grease/anti seize/whatever if you get one.
I can't remember what brand I had, but the idea was to have multiple locks with the same key. Anyway, one day I was locking or unlocking the pin and the tumbler unit fell out. I threw that one out and never used a locking pin again.
1953 GMC 9314
1982 GoldWing Interstate
Lins is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hitch, lock