Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-10-2013, 01:42 PM   #1
dzg

Looking at a new tow vehicle....

Hi guys, my names dustin and last year me and my wife bought a brand new 2012 Salem 27RKSS (I believe thats the number) with all the fancy electronic gizmos...etc.

Currently im pulling it with this....

Its a 1977 F250 with a 400 and C6 auto trans, 3.07 gears and 2wd. It tows the nearly 7000lb trailer rather well but its ridculiously uncomfortable on long trips and we cant take the dogs with us due to lack of room.

Right now im looking to replace my current DD (an 08 Colorado) with a DD/Tow rig. Im trying to keep it under 10K and have narrowed my search to the following....

97-03 Expeditions
03-07ish Expeditions
00-05 Excursion.

My concerns are mainly with the Expeditions. I like the 1st gen (97-03) ones better BUT am worried about their abilty to handle such a large trailer. I owned a 97 at one point and my dad had a 98 but we never did any super heavy or large towing with them.

I would love an excursion and they definatly win in the "bang for your buck" catagory, BUT, im worried about day to day MPG. I DO NOT want a diesel....

So i guess my question is what would you guys recommend? I use the Pretty generic pro series sway/WD hitch system and behind my F250 and its very stable.

Also i would like to add that I drive a semi and am very experinced with pulling trailers....so we dont need to factor in the "idiot factor" lol.

Any input?

Thanks for helping a newbie.
dzg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 01:48 PM   #2
Always Learning

If it were me, I'd take the rig to get weighed to find out your tongue weight and pick a vehicle that's going to have the appropriate payload capacity.
Old 06-10-2013, 01:53 PM   #3

This is what you need.
http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...tow-38678.html
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 02:00 PM   #4
dzg

Thats about 22k outta my price range plus i want a 4x4
Old 06-10-2013, 04:12 PM   #5
Camper Less Camping

Good looking '77 Ford!

Old 06-10-2013, 05:31 PM   #6
dzg

Thanks I love the truck to death. I paid 2k for it a year ago and threw in a huge trans cooler a radiator and rebuilt the carb. Its does the job well enough with the exception of steep hills at speed lol. Its just inpractical for long trips with the dogs.
Old 06-10-2013, 07:47 PM   #7

have you considered replacing the rear window with a slider and then installing a topper so that you can put the dogs in the back and still be able to be in touch with the. That truck is a really nice tow vehicle. I would suggest changing to a 3.73 rear and you would have quite a nice rig. I don't think anything in the expedition class would come close to what you have.
Scott Colegrove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 08:05 PM   #8
dzg

Yes ive actually been tossing around the idea of rolling a 3.73 or 3.55 rear under it. Ive already got a slider but the cap is a good idea....didnt even think of that.

In my owners manual Ford recommends a 3.73 for loads between 7 and 10 k. I have all the other required equipment.
Old 06-11-2013, 10:40 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
If it were me, I'd take the rig to get weighed to find out your tongue weight and pick a vehicle that's going to have the appropriate payload capacity.

X2 here!

This is the perfect chance for you get actual weights on it and find a vehicle that isn't going to limit or hinder you!

I'd suggest weighing the truck with you and a full tank of gas. Then load the camper, truck bed and cab with what you feel you would be taking along and run across the scale again with just the truck and this will tell you how much you added to the truck itself. The payload or the amount the vehicle can carry on its own wheels and tires are where people generally end up overloaded...

Again, this is the perfect chance for you to spec out exactly what you want for what you have... just take your time and don't be afraid to get "too" big of a tow vehicle... you'll only go bigger... I PROMISE !!!

TV- 2015 Ram 2500 CCLB 6.7 Cummins 3.42 gears
Camper - 2015 Saber 322BHTS
avolnek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 10:53 AM   #10
dzg

Ill find a scale and do that. We usually travel pretty light though. I wonder if im overloading my current truck lol
Old 06-11-2013, 10:57 AM   #11
Always Learning

Possibly, but it's hard to tell what the specs are on your truck now (or, at least that's what I think. Here's what you want to do for weighing:
How To Weigh a Travel Trailer
Old 06-11-2013, 11:02 AM   #12

Thats an awesome site Ependydad!

TV- 2015 Ram 2500 CCLB 6.7 Cummins 3.42 gears
Camper - 2015 Saber 322BHTS
avolnek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 11:04 AM   #13
dzg

Thanks for the site
Old 06-12-2013, 03:04 PM   #14
daydreaming about camping

As one of the few former Excursion owners around here, let me just make a couple comments about those since you are looking. They are awesome towing machines...when set up correctly. I think you said you are looking for a 4wd tow vehicle. That means front leafs. The stock springs are too soft for heavy towing and wear out surprisingly quickly. you will also need a thick anti-sway bar, front and rear. Most Ex's need a steering box after 100K or so. And ball joints, but then what 3/4 Ford does not need ball joints done at that point...

If you do all that you will have a very capable towing machine. And the v10 is the engine of choice if you are allergic to diesel. They get poor mpg, but actually better than the 5.4 which can barely pull the truck around much less a trailer. most Ex owners report empty v10 mpg around 16. compared to 18 for a Expy with the 5.4, really not that big a difference.

I can promise you that the Ex will pull your Salem much, much better than an Expy.

2013 Coachmen Freedom Express 320BHDS pulled by a 2005 F250 King Ranch CC

A rainy day camping is better than a sunny day at work.
jeeplj8 is offline   Reply With Quote