Old 01-30-2016, 12:00 PM   #21
My vote is Ford also.

rlocicero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 12:01 PM   #22
I'm a diesel believer. After having to trade up trucks twice due to wanting bigger and heavier campers, I can truly say that one cannot have too much truck!

2014 Vengeance VGF39R12
2012 F-350 DRW King Ranch
Ultraboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 12:04 PM   #23
I bought the AMP Research running boards for my 2500 Silverado and it was the best money that I ever spent. My wife has severe arthritis and could not reach normal running boards. These are very easy for her and I love them too. Definitely a good product.
dwebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 12:16 PM   #24
Somebody really wise once said to buy the truck you need to pull your next camper. (Wasn't me) If you don't anticipate a much larger camper in your future, a Ram 1500 is an excellent choice. The rear coils give the best ride in the half ton segment, but they do limit payload. Your mini lite weighs less than my 23ikss hybrid and my Ram 1500 5.7 hemi pulls it effortlessly.
Putting my personal prejudices aside, any newer half ton will handle your current camper. And about the height, if you don't need 4wd, a 2wd will sit lower. Good luck.
jking46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 12:56 PM   #25
There is always going to be brand bias when you ask others for opinions on trucks. I'm biased myself (am a GM dealer) My advice... think through how long you'll keep your truck. If you trade every 3-4 years (or less) resale is very important to you. I would suggest that you don't look at cheapest purchase price, look at lowest cost of ownership.
If you keep it till the wheels fall off, then don't sweat the re-sale, it'll have little value when you're done with it. But, buying product X because it was $2500 cheaper than product Y, does not mean you'll save $2500... it could cost you more!

And then buy a GM, lol
If you don't like my opinion, I'll give you a full refund on what you paid me for it.
ridersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 01:17 PM   #26
My first ram in 40 years of truck buying - love it
lynn brownlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 01:24 PM   #27
I bought aftermarket running boards for my F250. They were quick and easy to install as the truck was all pre drilled and ready for them. Cheaper than getting them from Ford too.
Forest River Flagstaff V-Lite 26 WRB. 2015 Ford F 250 diesel, Hensley Arrow Hitch
V-Lite Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 02:31 PM   #28
If unsure Drive them all. Drive them in town and highway, put in tow haul mode and exhaust brake and see how they shift and brake.

Stay away from the Eco crap and get a real truck if towing.

This is a large investment and a few extra $$$ can make a big difference in comfort, power and Braking.

Also I learned Canada offers a free Cummings once in a while. That's like buying a 2500 or 3500 series for the cost of a 1500.
Ordering one from a factory worked out best for us, got everything we wanted and didn't pay for the stuff I didn't want. I ordered our trailer the same way . The bad part was waiting but the truck.

Remember Diesels have higher resale / trade in amounts.

Hope this helps 🍻

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Homebrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 03:57 PM   #29
Originally Posted by Blackrock View Post
Well I have decided to start looking at replacing my 01' F150 (210,000mi) and have been torturing the local sales people. Best deal so far is on a Dodge Ram but this truck is a Ram 1500 5.7 full crew cab and 5.5 foot bed. I like to have a cross bed tool box and carry my 2 Honda gens in it along with some other stuff. The sales people are looking for an extended cab 6.5 foot bed which would be better for what I need.

I may have to bump up to a 2500 but I don't need all that much truck right now. They do have a used 14' 2500 diesel for about the same money but it's a little tall for my short legged round bottomed gal to climb into.

I tried to deal with the Ford dealer on a 15' F150 with the 5.0 but the are $2500 higher than the Dodge guys.
I'm driving a 2015 Toyota Tundra towing a aframe camper. Comfortable smooth ride , good towing capacity and 5.5 ft bed with crewman cab. If u get the smaller rear door bed gets extended. They say they last longer than traditional ford or Chevy. I've had f100's, f150's and e350 gmc cargo diesel. So far this tundra been no problem for the 1st year. Hoping for the best. It is a sweet ride.
mudman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 05:20 PM   #30
F-150 with 6 cylinder eco-boost will out pull a Chevy 1500 5.3 hands down on flat ground or mountains any day of the week.

Arkansas Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote