Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-07-2015, 09:52 AM   #1

Looking for a jack stand with a ball on it

Hi all, I've seen those support stands for 5ers that the pin rests on. Is there some sort of equivalent for TTs?

When I'm unhitching and have taken my bars off, I have a heck of a time getting the ball to release from the hitch. It seems to be mostly related to pressure on the ball and, based on things I've read and tried, moving the TV ahead or back slightly (or just puting it in neutral to let it find the best spot) seems to help. The problem is, this slight movement puts a cant on the cone my tongue jack is sitting on and I'm worried it's going to fall (yes, trailer is chocked).

What I'd like to have is a jack stand of sorts that would fit in the hitch ball socket so I could raise the tongue jack and reposition its support cone.

Anyone know of such a thing or have an alternative idea?
Old 08-07-2015, 10:15 AM   #2
tjm

Looking for a jack stand with a ball on it

Why does it have to have a ball on it? Just use a regular 3 ton jack stand. I've done that when trying reposition my blocking under the trailer jack.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
tjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 10:47 AM   #3

True, I was thinking a ball, on a threaded support would be the most secure and allow finer adjustability.
Old 08-07-2015, 11:58 AM   #4

I'd like to find one that my jack sits on. Hate using blocks of wood. They get wet, dirty and bugs like them. Plus my hitch sits a little high, occasionally I jack up all the way only you find I need another block. Now lower, add block and raise again. Too many blocks and it doesn't seem stable.
bpa098 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 04:20 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpa098 View Post
I'd like to find one that my jack sits on. Hate using blocks of wood. They get wet, dirty and bugs like them. Plus my hitch sits a little high, occasionally I jack up all the way only you find I need another block. Now lower, add block and raise again. Too many blocks and it doesn't seem stable.
Just paint your blocks with an outdoor grade paint and they'll rinse off real easily. Dirt also has a harder time sticking to them painted.

Life is good...Live it!
Nights Camped - (2014) - 16 in 6 trips (2015) - 20 in 6 trips
(2016) - 21 in 7 trips
(2017) - 12 in 3 and going seasonal for at least the rest of the year!
JustB_Rad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 03:44 PM   #6

Jack stand

Blackjack pipe jack. 2500lb capacity. 18-27". Doesn't necessarily have to be this brand, and there are smaller stands also. There are some that are collapsible, but load capacity is smaller. Can't post a pic(??), but put "pipe jack stand" in your browser!
Should find what you need.
Dave
D-maxx dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 10:34 PM   #7

Solved that difficult unhitch scene by greasing the ball and lubing the hitch mechanism liberally.
Travel safe

I Catch Fish......What is your SuperPower?
FordHauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 10:50 AM   #8

When you park your trailer be sure to chalk your trailer tires before putting the jack down.

What I do is chalk the tires on the TT then put my truck in neutral for a second to relieve tension on the ball then put the elec jack down. Almost never have any issues.

The first thing and the last thing I do is the chalks. this way it won't roll when you unhitch from the truck.
DKRITTER is offline   Reply With Quote