Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-09-2019, 04:57 PM   #1

Looking for some advice re toad hitches etc.

Hello everyone.
In June we bought a Coachmen 32WC and love it. We have been dolly towing, but would really like to switch to a flat toad. Looked at some potential vehicles, but nothing compares to my 2016 F150 XLT Ecoboost 2WD. Found out on line that I could get a driveshaft device that would allow me to disconnect the rear wheels from the transmission enabling 4-wheels down towing.
I have been looking at all the different devices for attaching the truck to the coach as well as the various braking systems. I'm looking for advice/ recommendations from experienced toad haulers for the most practical system. I'm a believer that simple systems don't have sophisticated problems, so the simpler, the better. Also looking for the best value . . .
I don't have a welder any more, but I am both wiring and mechanically competent, and believe I could do most if not all of the install - at least if no welding is required. (But I do have a friend . . .).

Some quick background: Started with a 19' Zinger TT in 2011. In 2013, DW wanted to move to a Coach. Got a 2005 FR Lexington 255. DW decided it was too small and she wanted a TT. Sold the Lexington and bought a 35' foot V lite in 2017. Beautiful and spacious. After 18 months DW says "Too big." Lost big money. 2018 DW says Coachmen is "just right". Sounds like the Goldilocks three bears story, right? Anyway, tired of subsidizing RV dealers and need to make this one work. If it doesn't, it may not be the coach that goes

Thanks!
Steve DCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 05:07 PM   #2
Kanadian Kamper

I’m not familiar with the power/engine/chassis specifics of the Coachmen 32WC.

If it’s a Ford V10 powered unit and chassis, the Ford F-150 May be beyond your towing limits. Most Class A gas rigs have a towing limit of 5000lbs.

Do you know your limits? What size/weight toad was your dolly set up?

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 05:18 PM   #3
World Wide Wanderer

The 32WC is a Pursuit Class A, according to the online specs it is only rated to tow 5,000#. An empty F150 should be just under that, no wiggle room.

Aaron

2016 Coachmen Concord 300DS
2015 Fusion Hybrid following along
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 05:21 PM   #4
Always Learning

Forum member Kenny Kustom uses a Nighthawk tow bar by Roadmaster and wrote it up on my site:
Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow Bar – illuminated is better | Learn To RV
Old 01-10-2019, 09:21 AM   #5

Thanks for responses.

To now we have been dollying DWs 2017 Passat (3,400#) plus dolly (500#) = 3,900.
My model F150 comes in at #4581 with gas.
We usually put everything we need in the coach storage, nothing in the truck, so yes, I'd be pushing the upper limits of, but still within, tow capacity.

The dolly is very wide and we've had some hairy moments in the mountains where the roads are narrow and the drop-off either steep or soft (or non-existent!) Also, the Passat is very low, and we have done some minor damage to the front air dam because it scrapes over the dolly lip.
Steve DCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 09:36 AM   #6
Kanadian Kamper

4581#
You’ll know it’s there for sure.

Make sure you spend the money on a toad braking system that performs well.
The motorhome brakes can’t be expected to handle that additional weight to make things safe for you and everyone else.

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 02:43 PM   #7

I use a blue ox base plate and tow bar with a Roadmaster braking system and have been very happy pulling my Chevy Equinox. Good Luck!!
RudysWorld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 07:43 AM   #8
JGB

Towing System

We have a 2018 Isata5 36DS and use the Blue OX towing system for a 2017 Jeep Renegade and I am extremely happy with the performance. The Ram 5500 doesn't even know the Jeep is in tow and so far we have not felt that a braking system has been necessary, although we have only 2500 miles or so actually towing with some mountainous area. I plan on closely monitoring the need for additional baking as we get a broader range of road conditions. I highly recommend the Blue OX system which is extremely simple to connect and disconnect the toad.
JGB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hitch, toad