Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-21-2012, 10:58 PM   #1

looking for the right WD hitch for my new combo

Hi, i just purchased a 2012 prime time tracer touring edition 3150 bhd. the trailer sits with out my gear at around 6700lbs, i'll be towing it with a 2011 ford f150. here are the truck specs 5.0 with 373 gears, 145'' wheel base the towing capacity is 9300 lbs with a gvwr of 7200lbs and a gcvwr of 15,100lbs. i know the weight police will be on me about this, but i have towed alot of trailers and i was a tractor trailer driver for 10 yrs, and still haul 100,000 tankers part time so experience wont be an issue. anyway to get back to my question!! i'm not all that fimiliar with the newer style WD hitches, as far as with my current set up..... what to use. i know i'll be under the weight limits on all of my weights (barely) but under, i'm just not sure what is a good hitch to buy and what weight catagory hitch i will need

thanks in advance for any help i can get on this matter
billyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 11:11 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Most people buy either Reese Dual Cam or Equalizer. Look at etrailers.com as they have pictures and lots of good information.
1969 John Deere 1020, 1940 Ford 9N, 1948 Ford 8N
Jonsered 535, Can of WD-40, Duct Tape
Red Green coffee mugs
acadianbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 11:29 PM   #3

I've used the Equal-i-zer for about 3 years now and haven't had a problem. Easy to install/set-up, distributes the weight well and has very good built in sway control.

Here's a link to RV Wholesalers. They have free shipping. RVWholesalers.com RV Parts and Accessories*,*Results for Equal-i-zer

Your dealer may also have this hitch and you may can get it worked into the deal.

PT's web site list your tt's dry tongue weight at 687 lbs. Depending on how you load yor tt it could go up over 800 lb, so you might think about a 1,000/10,000 lb hitch.

Hope this helps.
grhodes50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 01:25 PM   #4

I ordered the 12,000 Equalizer WDH from RV Wholesale this morning for $464.99 including shipping. It included everything but the ball. The 10,000 is $20 less so as the saying goes, go big or go home. The part # for the 12,000 is 14-2928. I've been checking prices over this last week and this is the best price I found. May be better ones out there but a one week search is long enough for me.
freedom 750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 02:05 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

The trailer is 6,700lbs dry but I suspect the factory options, batteries, hitch and propane will add another 300-400lbs on top of that. Then there is your cargo.

You have a GVWR of 9,400 for the trailer. At 8,000 fully loaded and ready to camp, your tongue weight could be realistically 1,000lbs or higher. Obviously much higher if you tend to load heavy but probably not too much lower than 1,000lbs.

The 1,200lb Equal-i-zer bars would be your best bet with this trailer. I'm not as familiar with Reese Dual Cam or Blue Ox, but both are highly recommended as well.

You might consider Propride or Hensley hitches, as well. I know I would with that trailer/TV setup.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 12:52 AM   #6

i have pm'ed Sean at propride and he had good answers for me. I also called reese and that guy was very nice as well. He said their best sway control hitch is the strait line dual cam and you have the option to add a friction bar if it needs more control.
saskrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 10:02 PM   #7

Thanks for the info, i picked up the trailer last wed. i told the dealer to set me up with a hitch they recommend! i get there worried about a snow storm on the way into massachusettes......I was in a rush they did the demo for me and during the demo they set up my hitch. I thought they were going to give me a hitch with sway control and they gave me a reese rb2 800lb wd hitch..... not knowing that i could only use the friction style sway control i rushed home to beat the snow storm! I soon find out that I cant use a dual cam sway control, i can only use a friction sway control set up, which i hear are very useless. My only hope at this point is to order a new hitch or order the new blue ox universal sway control if its even worht the money!!!! needless to say i'm disappointed. but i cant put a price on saftey, so a new hitch is a must.

Any help would be appreciated on my options
Old 03-05-2012, 09:07 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

See if the dealer will buy back the Reese setup they sold you....they should be ashamed of setting you up like that. If they won't get things straight, then here are a couple of options:

Post under our "Bad Dealer" forum. Tell them you intend to do that if they won't make amends.

Contact Cequent towing here: Contact - Reese
I am not familiar with that setup, but you may be able to use the existing hitch shank, snap up brackets, and head assembly and get new "crooked" round bars, and add the dual cam setup.

Contact RVGuy here on the forum, and let him know how 1 of his dealers is treating people.

You could maybe get by with adding 2 friction control sway bars, but WDHs with integrated sway control would probably work better with that long of a trailer.

With a listed empty tongue weight of 687 lbs., by the time you add propane tanks and a battery to the tongue, plus your camping gear, you may be over 800 lbs. Yoy might want to consider the 1200 lb. bars if that is the case.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 03:31 PM   #9

I called the dealer today, and they said i can return the hitch and they are going to get me a reese dual cam set up with 1200lb bars. thanks for all of your help
Old 03-06-2012, 03:33 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Glad it worked out good for you.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote