Old 08-15-2012, 07:25 PM   #11
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey View Post
The design keeps the forth wheel platform in the hitched position all the time (rubber grommet on the base) plus the fact that the lock pawls won't lock till the pin is fully engaged in the locking pawl. I simply back into the hitch, drop her into drive & "click" it's latched.
My Reese 16K does the same thing. When I unhook, the hitch automatically tilts down in the re-hitch position. But, if the trailer is too high, it will miss the hitch, the same as yours.

Old 08-15-2012, 07:37 PM   #12
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

looks no different than mine ? don't know how the curt prevents high hitch and mine wouldn't .
Click image for larger version

Name:	30093.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	29.7 KB
ID:	18116
Click image for larger version

Name:	16115_1024x768_a.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	35.1 KB
ID:	18115

Old 08-15-2012, 07:54 PM   #13
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
looks no different than mine ? don't know how the curt prevents high hitch and mine wouldn't .
Attachment 18116
Attachment 18115

Nothing will prevent a high hitch, somebody is blowing smoke or means something totally different from what is commonly know as 'high hitch'. If not, they need to explain it to this dummy.
Old 08-15-2012, 08:33 PM   #14
Old Member

Send a message via Skype™ to mikey
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunnnc

My Reese 16K does the same thing. When I unhook, the hitch automatically tilts down in the re-hitch position. But, if the trailer is too high, it will miss the hitch, the same as yours.
Dunnnc, I had a Reece the last time (never again). I guess it had to do with the fact that the head tilted both fore/aft as well as laterally that the pin tended to ride up on the head which often lead to the high hitch situation. With Curt on the other hand, head sits level all the time so pin interaction is the same during hitch up as it is while towing.
Old 08-15-2012, 09:00 PM   #15
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Dunnnc, I had a Reece the last time (never again). I guess it had to do with the fact that the head tilted both fore/aft as well as laterally that the pin tended to ride up on the head which often lead to the high hitch situation. With Curt on the other hand, head sits level all the time so pin interaction is the same during hitch up as it is while towing.
Mine lays tilted down and level in the back as soon as I unhook and stays there. It will tilt forward and side to side, but lays tilted down and level when unhooked. I also have the hitch catcher tubes on it too which makes it heavy in the back. Anyone having a problem similar to what you did, could remedy it by adding a little weight under the ramp on the rear. I also like it if the truck is slightly unlevel side to side while hitching as the ramp will tilt as soon as the pinbox touches.
Old 08-21-2012, 11:33 AM   #16

Some have told me that high hitch for fivers can happen with 4WD trucks. If the hitch and pin are at their lowest settings and the trailer is not level you have to do some work to make it level. I have not had this problem but other on this forum have.
Old 08-21-2012, 12:23 PM   #17

Quote:
Maybe you could explain exactly what you mean by "high hitch"?
Our fifth wheel hitch head moves in all directions, and we have never had an issue hooking up.
Old 08-21-2012, 12:27 PM   #18
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakken

Our fifth wheel hitch head moves in all directions, and we have never had an issue hooking up.
Me either.
Old 08-21-2012, 12:42 PM   #19
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakken View Post
Don't understand it either, guess he just wants to badmouth a Reese hitch. I've never had a problem with my Reese 16K.
Old 08-24-2012, 11:41 AM   #20

High hitch means that the hitch is to high and the RV is not level. I also have the Reese 16 k hitch. It is important that the RV go down the road level. If your hitch is to high, that is not possible.