Old 02-10-2013, 04:57 PM   #1
Lot Placement

Not sure if this is where I need to chat about our problem, but it may be as good as any.
Last year we puchased a brand new Crusader 270RET 5'er. Our plan was to park it on a lot we had previously purchased in a deeded rv park up in north georgia. We already have a 2003 Sunnybrook T/T parked there which is covered and sets on a concrete pad.
Several months back when we tried to place the new 5'er on the lot purchased for it, we had a problem with the lots driveway not being wide enough to accept the 5'er and the two truck (2500HD 6/0 gas..two wheel drive). Since then I have added an additional fourteen feet of driveway in hopes that would fix the problem. Yesterday we hauled the 5'er back to the lot and with no success this time either. The driveway up to the lot is paved but is narrow. When I turned the wheels to properly get the correct angle of the 5'er to back it in, I run out of turning radius for the truck...With a four wheel drive two truck I could probably get it on the lot..but like I said, I need more turning radius room....
Contacted someone that has a four wheel deisel truck, set up for 5'er's that also has a locking rear device, not familiar with that term..anyway he has assured us he can get the RV on the lot, and he wants $250 bucks to do so...The problem is, we bought this unit to take in and out very often to camp in for now, and later use it for workampers and our trip to Alaska in May of 2014...Boy are we in a bind...what do we do...Option one is do something to enlarge the turning radius for our truck, rob and bank to pay the hauler every time we want to use it, or sell out nice 2500HD(paid for) and purchase what ever kind of truck we need to get it on the lot like the professional hauler owns...
Anyone else had this problem?
The Kicklighters
Dallas/Chatsworth, Georgia
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	graded lot.JPG
Views:	77
Size:	43.2 KB
ID:	24200  

LKicklight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 10:42 AM   #2
Without being there it sure looks like you have a ton of room.
I would buy a 4x4.
You will be traveling through unfamiliar areas and heading up North. You could get snow on passes, muddy and rocky road construction areas, tight gravel roads in CG's, etc.
I always shift into 4x4 when on gravel whether towing or not.

FOR SALE 2014 BOSS 6.2L F350
2012 Surveyor SV264
NW Oregon
Twisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 12:02 PM   #3
4 x 4

Been kicking that thought around...The 2500HD has plenty of power just a lack of traction when making the turn when backing up on to the lot..
Have someone who had offered to place the coach on the lot for me..once I see how he gets it done, then maybe I can learn more about our situation.
Appreciate the information, but the 2500HD is paid for and has lots of miles remaining...Have given some thought to maybe purchasing something just to use on that lot..
LKicklight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 12:14 PM   #4
I'm a little confused. Is it turning radius or loss of traction while backing you’re having a problem with?
If its traction to the rear wheels, get a set of inexpensive snow chains or maybe the snow cables and that will/should fix that problem. Yea, its gona be a pain in the. . . but way cheaper than having some guy rip you off getting your rig backed into your parking spot. Just an idea.
Edit; does your 5th wheel mount slide aft? If so lock it in the aft position and this will put more weight over the rear tires which will help with traction too.
Matt & Kathie
2017 Grey Wolf 27RR
rotorhead1250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 12:15 PM   #5
Phat Phrog Stunt Team
Appears to me, that it would be fairly inexpensive to increase your approach into the lot. Not sure what is behind the camera leading up lot, or if you are pulling up the paved portion or backing up. There are things you can do to improve traction on truck and land.
2016 Georgetown 364TS
Nights Camped
2014 - 56
2015 - 41
2016 - 64
AquaMan is online now   Reply With Quote