Old 06-10-2012, 11:26 PM   #11
Moderators' Assistant
check out the Equalizer website. they have suggestions there, including bracket jackets to help with the noise.

but as was said, this is pretty normal for most WDHs.

Dan-Retired Firefighter/EMT
Shawn-Musician/Entrepreneur/Wine Expert
and Zoe the Wonder Dog(R.I.P.)
'07 Roo 23SS pushing an '07 Chevy Avalanche
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 11:28 PM   #12
I grease the hitch ball and the friction surfaces were the bar sockets pivot (light coat), thats all. I haven't noticed any loud noises from mine. I think I am correct from what my manual says on page 23:

Step 9 - Regular Maintenance:
The friction surfaces of the head and sockets should be kept clean and well lubricated with a good quality lubricant. They should be lubricated before each trip. Check for damage or abnormal wear at the beginning of each towing day and replace if necessary. Use a rag to clean dirt and road grit from all friction surfaces regularly.
All nuts and bolts should be checked before each towing day and re-tightened or replaced if necessary.

2012 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WFKSS
2015 Ram 2500 Big Horn Mega Cab 4X4

Whiteknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 01:33 AM   #13
I may be mis-understanding your question but I add grease where the sway bars go into the head. If your running friction anti sway bars, they make a lot of noise normally. You can loosen them till you get out of the campground and also when backing up..

If you grease where the bars go into the head you will be much more quiet. In fact I don't get any noise at all. Before I added grease it cracked and groaned. I also added anti sway bars. They really make noise. All you can do with them is loosen them when leaving the campground or driving through town and when backing up for sure..
1l243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 06:12 AM   #14
tony4pyro, first time I heard that noise on my Equalizer I thought I was pulling the undercarriage out from under the truck and/or trailer. I was told by a dealer (whom I did not buy from) that if you hear noise, the system is working. I was told about Bracket Jacket also but have not tried them.

Randy and Patty
2015 Sabre 33 CKTS-6 Platinum Edition
Reese 16K Slider hitch
2014 Ram 2500HD Crew Cab 6.7 Cummins Diesel
Old car is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 06:20 AM   #15
Alleged curmudgeon
Our Equalizer 4 with sway control proudly announces our arrivals and departures (at every turn), but a little less so if I've got it lubed properly. I agree it is normal. Smile and wave, knowing it probably sounds worse to you than to those who are staring at you.
2013 Windjammer 3008W
2006 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 6.0L w/Equalizer 4
Nights camped: 2012 (29); 2013 (26); 2014 (40); 2015 (43); 2016 (35)
Vern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 07:16 AM   #16
Site Team - Lou
Originally Posted by Bearcat55 View Post
I have a brand new equalizer e2 wdh and whenever I'm driving slowly through a campground and making turns, the creaking noise is horrible. Anything I can do to eliminate this or minimize it at least. Also, should I lubricate the hitch ball or any other pieces of the hitch setup ? Thanks for you help!!
When I towed with the Equal-i-zer hitch I used their lithium grease to lube the sockets. The plastic "jackets" are also worth the investment.

Sway Bracket Jackets for Equal-i-zer Weight Distribution Systems - Qty 2 Equal-i-zer Accessories and Parts EQ95-01-5150

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 09:51 PM   #17
I had to come back and tell everyone that I did go ahead and grease the area of the hitch where the sway bars pivot on the hitch head, and the noise is completely gone! I did not notice any difference in sway control, and I am far less embarrassed driving through the campgrounds now. Whew! Too bad I waited so long to try this simple remedy.
Tony B.
2012 Forest River Wildwood 32BHDS
2010 Toyota Tundra Crewmax
tony4pyro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 10:00 PM   #18
Mod free 5er
Old rule of thumb: If it swivels or turns, grease it. If it slides, don't grease it.

OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote

led pad