Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-26-2017, 11:13 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisf65 View Post
Dustman- they produce hundreds of thousands of transmissions per year. To say all are 100% ok is optimistic. It's mechanic and electric. a wrong torque, a bearing out of tolerance, a solder point at the circuit board broken, tooling was worn out at assembly...- so many factors. That's why I would not worry. Usually, if you have manufacturing defects, they appear relatively early.
Just pointing out that the "should've got a Ram" statements are not a solution, as all of the Big 3 can have problems.
dustman_stx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 12:19 PM   #42

I know- but my point is- what kind of problems. I was investigating 6 months, test drove everything and compared everything, including JD Power and the Recall Site. I know, why I drive RAM. And so far- nothing wrong at all.
chrisf65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 04:13 PM   #43

Got a call from the service tech. Somehow, the tab from the fuel additive got in the fuel tank and was causing intermittent uptake problems. They had to drop the tank and found the tab in the uptake . It must have fallen in before I got the fuel funnel with the mesh screen is all I can figure, though I don't remember adding the Stanadyne before I got the funnel. Oh well, I'm glad it wasn't something major and I must say the dealer and the area rep took good care of me. I pick it up tomorrow ifn' the creek don't rise and the snow storm will let me.

Jim C
2015 F350 6.7L Powerstroke SWD Lariat
Demco Autoslide Hijacker
RVS Camera
2013 Palomino Sabre BKOK 31
TPS
PI 50 amp EMS
Renogy 100Watt Solar Suitcase
2 T-105 6 Volt Batteries
Renogy Solar Suitcase
Progressive Industries EMS
Sea Eagle 420 Tandem Inflatable Kayak
Jimsue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 04:20 PM   #44

Laugh it off. Ha!

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
BlueOX SwayPro (used when hauling cart too)
TomStacey616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 04:40 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimsue View Post
Got a call from the service tech. Somehow, the tab from the fuel additive got in the fuel tank and was causing intermittent uptake problems. They had to drop the tank and found the tab in the uptake . It must have fallen in before I got the fuel funnel with the mesh screen is all I can figure, though I don't remember adding the Stanadyne before I got the funnel. Oh well, I'm glad it wasn't something major and I must say the dealer and the area rep took good care of me. I pick it up tomorrow ifn' the creek don't rise and the snow storm will let me.

Jim C
2015 F350 6.7L Powerstroke SWD Lariat
Demco Autoslide Hijacker
RVS Camera
2013 Palomino Sabre BKOK 31
TPS
PI 50 amp EMS
Renogy 100Watt Solar Suitcase
2 T-105 6 Volt Batteries
Call me very untrusting but I think they are setting you up to pay for an expensive repairs by putting in writing fuel starvation due to tab from anumber additive bottle.... I would want to see the tab... sounds like a snow job through my tin foil hat.

SOLD - 2012 Salem Cruise Lite 281BHXL
SOLD - 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 QCLB Cummins
shorthorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 04:40 PM   #46

Great! I'm glad it was nothing major and could be fixed.
It's always hard to tell without the vehicle.
Thanks for the feedback!
chrisf65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 01:35 AM   #47

Hi where in the fuel system was the foil safety cap found? I have not had the privilege to work on a fuel system on your year truck. Every time that I have worked on the fuel pump or sending unit in the fuel tank it has a rubber hose from the pump to the bottom of the tank with a pick up screen at the end to strain the fuel. The foil seal would have to be very large to block or restrict this screen.
I hope that the work the dealer ship did fixed the problem! I ? the diagnosis.

Have fun Tim
TimVWulp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 05:31 AM   #48

Tim
I'm not exactly sure... the tech said it was in the "uptake" ??? Has happened before according to this forum and my mechanic. I will pick it up today or tomorrow, depending on the weather. At that time, I see if I can get some clarification and will let y'all know ...
Thanks
Jim
Renogy Solar Suitcase
Old 01-31-2017, 05:51 AM   #49

Jim... I would sure question it... my fear is they believe the CP4 is going and of course don't want to pay for it! I would stick with I always use the funnel with a screen and make them show you the foil they removed.

SOLD - 2012 Salem Cruise Lite 281BHXL
SOLD - 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 QCLB Cummins
shorthorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 06:06 AM   #50

Yes, but if they were that crooked, ( which I don't believe they are...the owner is an old HS/College friend) they could just show me any old tab...
Having said that, my understanding is that the CP4 pumps are notoriously unreliable.
I'll be keeping a close eye on things...I still have 84k on the warranty.
Thanks for your input.
Renogy Solar Suitcase
Old 01-31-2017, 03:41 PM   #51

Update: just picked up the vehicle and drove 128 miles home in sleet and snow. Everything ran well . No charge for loaner ( 2017 F 250 gasser) or for cleaning fuel tank. They even gave me half a tank of fuel, though the vehicle wash was wasted on Mich road salt :-) Tech showed me scope camera shot of tank interior with the tab laying right by the fuel intake (uptake? ) . My confidence in My 6.7 and FoMoCo has been restored.
Renogy Solar Suitcase
Old 02-01-2017, 08:42 PM   #52

Have a 2016 and had same problem. Turned out when dealer put in def the paper cap fell into the fuel tank unknown to them. So when fuel got low the cap was sucked up against the sensor in the tank and would cause the problem. Had to remove the tank and get it out.
Gonefishing1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 09:25 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonefishing1 View Post
Have a 2016 and had same problem. Turned out when dealer put in def the paper cap fell into the fuel tank unknown to them. So when fuel got low the cap was sucked up against the sensor in the tank and would cause the problem. Had to remove the tank and get it out.
Interesting... But mine was not in the DEF system, it was in the Diesel fuel system, so I don't know if the results ( low fuel pressure message) would be similar. Tech showed me a scope picture of the tab being in the Diesel fuel tank. Regardless, we can't be too careful with what gets in either system.
Old 02-01-2017, 09:32 PM   #54
2007 WildCat 32QBBS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimsue View Post
Interesting... But mine was not in the DEF system, it was in the Diesel fuel system, so I don't know if the results ( low fuel pressure message) would be similar. Tech showed me a scope picture of the tab being in the Diesel fuel tank. Regardless, we can't be too careful with what gets in either system.
He's clear that it was in the fuel tank just like yours. The foreign material was from a DEF container.
18CrewDually is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 09:48 PM   #55

Weird. Why would anyone stick the fuel nozzle from a def container in the diesel fuel passage? I'd be seriously concerned about my whole system , especially the HPFP and injectors if a Diesel exhaust fluid foil tab was found in my diesel fuel tank. How would anyone know it was a DEF foil tab anyway? Just saying...clear as mud!
Renogy Solar Suitcase
Old 02-01-2017, 11:41 PM   #56

hi glad they fixed it. How large was the foil tab that they found in the tank? Larger than 1" or smaller? Did you see how large the intake screen is in the fuel tank. I was just wanting to know for future trouble shooting.

thank you Tim
TimVWulp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 05:27 AM   #57

Hi, Tim
I would estimate it to be about the size of a dime; maybe a penny. I think they used a digital inspection camera to find it in the fuel tank.
I just saw one of those cameras in the Harbor Freight Catalog for $69. Being the gadget freak I am, I'm tempted to get one. Might be useful for black, fresh & Greywater tank as well as wiring etc. then again, I'd probably use it once in a blue moon. They have multiple reviews on YouTube.
Renogy Solar Suitcase

Tags
power, pressure