Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-05-2016, 04:23 PM   #1

Low fuel pressure message: 2015 6.7 l F 350 Powerstroke

14k miles, all maintainence up to date, Stanadyne used every fueling, got low fuel pressure message .. then "Reduced Engine Power"
Drove one mile right to Ford Dealer...hope they don't take forever to diagnose... any thoughts on what I can expect? Power stroke Diesel forum says could be bad fuel ( no warranty coverage ? ) fuel filter, HP Fuel Pump ( covered) or Sensor?
Glad it didn't happen when I was towing my 5er.
Renogy Solar Suitcase
Progressive Industries EMS
Sea Eagle 420 Tandem Inflatable Kayak
Jimsue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 04:53 PM   #2

My buddy went through this with his F350, truck still under powertrain warranty. Ford blamed fuel contamination and voided warranty. $10K out of pocket expense and new fuel components, he was back on road.

Do Internet search, it's a common problem.

I hope it's just a bad sensor.

Jack of all trades, Master on none
Captain America is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 05:42 PM   #3

I had a similar code in my 6.4l. I thought it was going to be the high pressure pump. My truck just didnt start one day. Ended up i sucked up a bunch of air into the system mechanic bleed the air and changed the filters. No more problem.
txmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 07:29 PM   #4

I'm a member of the Powerstroke Diesel Forum and there is an abundance of postings on this issue... it seems very unfair that FoMoCo would not cover HPFP failure due to condensate in the fuel system . I understand how the technicians could determine, due to rust or other indicators, that there was water in the fuel system, but how would one prove that the water condensates were from a particular fuel station?
By the time a person paid their attorney fees to attempt to be compensated, they'd be out whatever it costs to fix the problem. Furthermore, Ford is responsible for designing a system that is so sensitive to water that it causes major failure costing thousands of dollars for repairs on a new TV that cost upward of $55k. If had been aware of the frequency of this problem on EGR equipped 6.7 Powerstroke Diesel engines, I would have gone with a gasser. Oh well, live and learn. I'll be sure to let you all know the results of the diagnosis when I get it.
Thanks for "listening."
Renogy Solar Suitcase
Old 11-05-2016, 09:12 PM   #5

The guy I know even got his auto insurance company involved. Insurance company backlog credit card receipts to find out what stations he got fuel. Those stations didn't have anyone complain about fuel contamination, so that was a dead end. Insurance company said SORRY.

I'm surprised there hasn't been a lawsuit against Ford about this.

Jack of all trades, Master on none
Captain America is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 10:06 PM   #6
AMG

The 6.7l has a great track record so far. A few known issues with people's 2011's that were worked out in the 2012 but even those were minor overall. Bummer man, sorry to hear that.
Old 11-06-2016, 02:13 PM   #7

Water in fuel

Seems like this is a good time for a Marine grade fuel/water separator. Not cheap but eliminates a lot of problems. Marine engines cannot afford fuel problems at sea.
pdqparalegal1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 02:16 PM   #8

Thanks AMG & PDQ...I'm hope ng for the best, still waiting on n a diagnosis ...
Renogy Solar Suitcase
Old 11-06-2016, 02:29 PM   #9
Runxtra

Beware of the dealership diagnosis!!

I just did this with my 2015 6.7 Powerstroke! The first dealership said they found rust in the fuel pump indicating water in fuel. They said warranty would not cover and it would be close to $10k. I had it towed to a different dealership and they found no evidence of water of rust. Replaced everything under the power train warranty! Get a second opinion! Document every conversation or phone call with date, time, who said what, etc. Calling the Ford customer relationship center is a dead end. They always send you back to the dealership. There is an obvious problem with these fuel pumps. Ford provides a job aid to help them determine if it should be covered. You can find it on line. Some dealers are either dishonest or unqualified to make the diagnosis. Best of luck to you.

2015 Cedar Creek Silverback 33IK
2015 Ford F-250 Supercrew Diesel
Reese R-16 Slider
Runxtra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 04:26 PM   #10

Runskra, thanks for letting me know ! I might have to have the vehicle towed 100 miles to get service and a second opinion from the dealership from which it was purchased but it would be well worth it . Stay tuned( pun intended)
Renogy Solar Suitcase
Old 11-06-2016, 04:40 PM   #11

I had this exact same thing happen. Watched youtube videos. One said to get under truck and listen for a buzzing or vibrating noise around fuel filter. Mine made that noise. Went and got new fuel filter, put in new o ring and filter. End of problem. A mechanic friend reset the check engine light. Driven 2000 miles with 1100 of that pulling 5er. No problems.
ccsvolsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 06:26 PM   #12

That's why I went with the Ram CTD in 2012. It uses the CP.3 HPFP. Ford uses the problem prone CP.4. The same one or very similar that's in the Duramax and that VW uses. Both of those MFG's fixed the HPFP issues under warranty. Ford was shutting the door on most, blaming operator error even when they had no WIF message.
I have read of some getting ins to cover it but mostly when the fuel was found contaminated.
goduc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 06:27 PM   #13
AMG

You should be in the habit of replacing the fuel filter under the truck and the secondary filter under the hood every 10k miles imho. They are like $50 on amazon for both and 15 mins of your time. Cheap insurance as always.
Old 11-06-2016, 06:36 PM   #14
Runxtra

I was lucky, found a high volume Ford truck dealership with 30 certified diesel mechanics on staff. Service hours 6:00 AM till midnight. They had me running again in no time. I wish I had taken it there first. Look online for the"6.7L diesel fuel contamination and service job aid". It has color pictures of the components they need to inspect. You should be allowed to see everything they inspect. When the first dealership couldn't (or wouldn't) show me the evidence, I called the tow truck.

2015 Cedar Creek Silverback 33IK
2015 Ford F-250 Supercrew Diesel
Reese R-16 Slider
Runxtra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 02:55 PM   #15
Ret E-9 Anchor-clanker

My 2015 F250 6.7L book says 15,000 for full filter eeplacments. Dealer says $150.00 for both seperated and upper filter.. Good luck. Please post what the outcome is.
donanddona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 03:34 PM   #16
AMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by donanddona View Post
My 2015 F250 6.7L book says 15,000 for full filter eeplacments. Dealer says $150.00 for both seperated and upper filter.. Good luck. Please post what the outcome is.
$57.12 on amazon with free shipping.

If you have ever changed oil on a car, this would be on the same level of skill/knowledge. Seriously, disconnect the sensor under your truck where the yellow knob is for draining water, undo the yellow knob, drain the fuel/water that u can, unscrew the whole plastic unit (filter inside), drop the old filter out, put new one in, re-screw, re-attach plastic plug. Under the hood, simply look in, unhook the IN/OUT for the fuel filter (it's right on top), 1/4 turn to remove the fuel filter, pull up, throw away, new one in, re-plug the two hoses. Then simply prime the fuel pump on/off on/off/ on/off i think 10-15x in your truck, then start it. not only does it save you money, good for the truck, but in the process your draining any water in the water/fuel separator that maybe you hadn't drained previously.

https://www.amazon.com/Motorcraft-FD....7+fuel+filter

win win
Old 11-07-2016, 05:02 PM   #17

Receptionist called back, said tech couldn't reproduce the message, I could come pick it up. Called Head Tech at Dealership where I bought the truck , left message. Called Owner of dealership, he said I could call ahead and drop it off anytime...tech would check it out. He had other customer who had same problem, it was a tab from fuel additives that fell in to tank and intermittently blocked the fuel line. Had to drop the tank $(400, not warranted) I will get the truck and drive it 130 miles to dealership where I bought it ; if problem reoccurs, I will have it towed from wherever I am back to the dealership where I bought it.
Will keep y'all posted on what happens. Have any of you heard of the Low Fuel Pressure message (P008a ) just coming up once then mysteriously disappearing?
DonandDonna, thanks so much for the instructions on changing the Fuel Filter. We're headed for a freezing spell here in Mi and I'm no mechanic and live in a rental home, so I guess I'll pay the dealer to swap out the filter and let them assume liability (lol) if anything is SNAFU'D 😅.

Jim C
2015 F350 6.7L Powerstroke SWD Lariat
Demco Autoslide Hijacker
RVS Camera
2013 Palomino Sabre BKOK 31
TPS
PI 50 amp EMS
Renogy 100Watt Solar Suitcase
2 T-105 6 Volt Batteries
Renogy Solar Suitcase
Old 11-08-2016, 08:44 AM   #18
Failure is my business

https://youtu.be/ipmRgS4DcKA

Found this. Possibly the fuel filter housing can be mis-installed and allow the truck to suck air.

Good luck.
Old 11-08-2016, 12:55 PM   #19

Another item, not sure if you all you diesel owners follow along, but since I bought my 2008/6.4 PSD, I removed the stock fuel cap and installed a locking one. I once caught a couple kids dumping a bottle of water (or 2) into a guys Duramax at the Lowe's near me. I waited for the owner to tell him and gave him the license plate of the kids car.
Cheap insurance against punks who understand Diesels.....
BlueOX SwayPro (used when hauling cart too)
TomStacey616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 02:01 PM   #20
AMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomStacey616 View Post
Another item, not sure if you all you diesel owners follow along, but since I bought my 2008/6.4 PSD, I removed the stock fuel cap and installed a locking one. I once caught a couple kids dumping a bottle of water (or 2) into a guys Duramax at the Lowe's near me. I waited for the owner to tell him and gave him the license plate of the kids car.
Cheap insurance against punks who understand Diesels.....
That's good you mention that. I did replace my cap right after I got my 2012 F-250 PSD with a locking cap. I did a lot of research to determine if there was a lock for the DEF cap, but nobody has ever come up with one. Probably the best solution is to drill a hole in the gas door and install a lock from home depot. Plenty of threads on powerstroke.org where people did this. It looks like OEM on some cars that have a key to the door. I haven't done this yet though

This fits 6.7L powerstroke diesel's I can confirm 11-16, probably more years.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

On a side note, I went to visit my FR toy hauler last week and the cap where you fill fresh water was unscrewed and hanging there. It had me thinking that Each time I return it to storage, even if I take it out the following week, someone could dump something down there, pee in it, etc. I need to drain it each time, be sure to sanitize it at least once a year (bleach) and also only use it for shower, toilet, sinks, etc. We still never ever drink from the water in our tank or use it for cooking. Maybe I can get a locking cap for that too?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	locking_door1.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	305.5 KB
ID:	124925   Click image for larger version

Name:	locking_door2.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	278.9 KB
ID:	124926  

Tags
power, pressure