Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-27-2015, 11:46 PM   #1

Low Power starting off in Solera 24W

My new Solera 24W diesel has very low power when starting from a dead stop. I can push the accelerator to the floor in the 'Drive' or 'D' setting and not much happens. Is this normal for this motorhome or is something wrong. To get some juice out of it I manually shift down to 2nd and then manually shift my way up to Drive when the speed is high enough. I am worried about towing from a dead stop. Any ideas out there??
One wife
Two kayaks, One SUP
Bend, Oregon
Solera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 12:16 AM   #2
2012 Solera

Sounds like something is wrong. When you are stopped, vehicle should have shifted into first - getting more power by shifting into second sounds wrong. From your description sounds like the vehicle isn't properly downshifting when you stop.
JLeising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 10:16 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solera View Post
My new Solera 24W diesel has very low power when starting from a dead stop. I can push the accelerator to the floor in the 'Drive' or 'D' setting and not much happens. Is this normal for this motorhome or is something wrong. To get some juice out of it I manually shift down to 2nd and then manually shift my way up to Drive when the speed is high enough. I am worried about towing from a dead stop. Any ideas out there??
Doug, where you able to learn anymore about this? Certainly, it could not be working as designed?
Beach Bums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 11:27 PM   #4

I have not learned any more as of now. I do have my Solera into the dealer for some other issues. Their response to anything Mercedes is that its their problem and has to be handled by a Mercedes tech at an approved repair facility. The closest one to me is four hours away.
BUT.....I am taking it into a reputable Motorhome repair facility here for an oil change, etc and am going to ask them if they know what the problem is.
The best answer is that its not automatically downshifting to first gear at a complete stop but rather staying in 4th. That makes sense to me since when I manually shift into first or second gear, the power is there. I can and do operate that way now.
I will let you know when and if I get a solid answer to this. I need all the power I can get since I tow a Jeep Wrangler four door. I know others do this just fine so I am not too worried even if I have to shift down manually until a good answer is discovered.
One wife
Two kayaks, One SUP
Bend, Oregon
Solera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 03:42 PM   #5

Angry Breakdown cruise

Purchased new 2015 solera 24w last month.... This is our 3rd motor home & byfar the worst...... On maiden voyage & nothing but trouble with unit & not getting any support from forest river or mercedes.... Electrical trouble within audio system & exterior lighting..... Can not drive at night, no running lights.... Transfer switch failure & air conditioner not working properly.... Contacted mercedes & forest river & they don't seem to be concerned..... Very few mercedes dealers service sprinter & only coach repairs seem to be camp america.... But if they're hundred of miles away you're out of luck..... We're not treated very well..... Ready to park unit, fly home & seek legal help.....
We were charged a prep fee from dealer to make certain all systems were working properly...... How did that work out?????
JP McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power, solera