Old 07-11-2018, 04:39 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudman2 View Post
So I知 I to surmise that by reading a chart that states higher pressure in tire increases weight carrying capacity it is safe to drive vehicle with higher weight carrying tires its alright to surpass vehicle axel capacity with their recommended tire pressure ?
I'm not sure what you're trying to surmise. That chart is provided by the manufacturer of the truck I drive.

1953 GMC 9314
Lins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 04:45 PM   #12

No, the axle is the limiting factor.

As has been said multiple times already.. fill to max pressure capacity as stated on the tire and you'll be fine.

Towing capacity, axle max weights, etc is all unaffected. However, your tires will wear better.

Don't make this more complicated than it has to be...

007matman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 04:47 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lins View Post
I'm not sure what you're trying to surmise. That chart is provided by the manufacturer of the truck I drive.

Ok I got yah. I知 trying to compare max ability of axel to correct tire pressure for that vehicle.
I知 just reading my info wrong. My truck states one axel capacity and one tire pressure.
I guess some of the larger capacity trucks can change pressure according to load without exceeding recommend tire pressure for that particular axel.
I知 driving a Toyota Tundra crewman 2015.
Old 07-11-2018, 04:53 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudman2 View Post
Ok I got yah. I知 trying to compare max ability of axel to correct tire pressure for that vehicle.
I知 just reading my info wrong. My truck states one axel capacity and one tire pressure.
I guess some of the larger capacity trucks can change pressure according to load without exceeding recommend tire pressure for that particular axel.
I知 driving a Toyota Tundra crewman 2015.
They used to, and the way it should be, but now it's mandated to run max PSI.
I have reprogrammed my TPMS.
1953 GMC 9314
Old 07-11-2018, 05:15 PM   #15

Also when upgrading to LT tires for sure go higher than the door sticker. If your truck came with standard tires running high load LT tires at the 30-35 psi range that is probably on the sticker will result in a LOWER load ability than the stock tires which are more designed for those pressures. Even if you still have standard tires I put them near the tire max even when not towing on all my cars. They last longer and it improves fuel economy at the expense of a rougher ride. All my cars ride like a cloud (not my 2500 Ram though) anyway so the ride is still great. The Ram stinks no matter what so it too gets 70 psi.
Hersbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 05:19 PM   #16

I do not want to exceed axle ratings but inflating to max inflation stops sidewall roll on P rated tires.

In respond to the original post here I now have a pickup but have towed in the past with a midsize SUV with 275 45 20 tires. Never had a problemand tow about 6000 miles that way.
Canadiancrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 05:30 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hersbird View Post
The Ram stinks no matter what so it too gets 70 psi.
Im at about 60 front/40 rear currently. Maybe higher due to the warmer days recently. Quite a nice ride. Even at 70 in the rear fully loaded (10k lbs) according to scale, wore the center of the rear tires down more. I'm going to try 60-65 next trip.
1953 GMC 9314
Old 07-11-2018, 06:47 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadiancrew View Post
I do not want to exceed axle ratings but inflating to max inflation stops sidewall roll on P rated tires.

The axle's limiting factor is it's GAWR, the one listed on the vehicle's certification label.

All tire inflation pressures above the GAWR are considered load capacity reserves.

There is zero reason to fool around with the inflation pressures recommended by the vehicle manufacturer. However, some vehicles have what is called "special circumstances" that require optional tire inflation pressures. Those will be explained in the vehicle owner's manual.
Old 07-11-2018, 06:52 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007matman View Post
No, the axle is the limiting factor.

As has been said multiple times already.. fill to max pressure capacity as stated on the tire and you'll be fine.

Towing capacity, axle max weights, etc is all unaffected. However, your tires will wear better.

Don't make this more complicated than it has to be...
Your tow vehicle is limited by it's GVWR. Do some math with your certification label. If you max out your axles you'll be way over GVWR.
Old 07-11-2018, 07:29 PM   #20

The tech telling the OP to increase tire pressure to 50 was to increase sidewall stiffness NOT load capacity.

Frank

FrankMor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tire, tires, towing