Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-11-2018, 12:39 AM   #1

Lowering hitch by 2 inches. Problems or issues?

Hi,
I'm new to forums. We have just purchased a Dynamax ISATA 3 with rear bedroom slide out. Want to carry a 285 pound motorcycle but would have to take bike off every time we use slide out. We need 42 inches from hitch to bottom of slide out but only have 40 inches. Any comments or experience on our using a hitch adapter that drops 2 inches? My husband worries about bottoming out, scraping, damaging the bike and or hitch. I really want to take a motorcycle but don't want to tow. Please advise.
Old 07-11-2018, 12:58 PM   #2
Site Team

Welcome to FRF.

It still sounds like you're going to be really close to hitting the slide.

Now, Lowering the hitch shouldn't cause much problem, but I can't be sure because I don't know you're style of camping or the type of roads you normally travel.

I'd suggest building a wooden hitch bar that's lowered 2" and drive around to a few of the worse places you likely go and see if you drag the bottom off it.
Old 07-13-2018, 09:56 PM   #3

Thanks for the suggestion. I did what you suggested and think lowering the hitch 2 inches would be problematic. Talked with Joe Hauler today. He makes custom carriers. Going to see him this coming November. He had some good ideas.
Old 07-13-2018, 10:14 PM   #4

If the Isata 3 is similiar in height to the Prism 24G, I use a 5 1/2 inch drop hitch to get a hitch height of about 13 inches above the ground when I use our tow dolly. It has never hit on anything. I can extend the rear slide over the hood of the car on the dolly with several inches to spare.

Mike and JoAnne
Montana Summer / Arizona Winter
2016 Prism 24G /2002 HitchHiker 38LKTG
ACME EZTowing a 2015 Chevy Sonic RS Hatchback
AudiDudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 11:08 PM   #5

Thanks for the info. The Isata 3 is similar to your unit. I'll measure from ground to hitch and see how many inches.

Tags
hitch