Old 06-10-2013, 12:54 PM   #1
Fulltime family RVer

Lowering my truck without losing capabilities

Let me start off with this first - this is purely an education thing. I'm extremely unlikely to actually pursue this. I'm mostly just curious and wonder if it's possible.

I bought a 4x4 truck for the capabilities of having all 6 wheels drive vs. just the rear 4. I had heard that duallies can have issues on wet and snow. I did not buy the 4x4 for the ability to drive offroad (outside of occasional grass). No rock crawling, no trails - I live a simple life.

What I don't like about the 4x4 is that raised the height of the truck vs. the 4x2 by a couple of inches (or so I think).

Is it possible to lower the truck back down to the 4x2 height and not lose any payload capacity?

Old 06-10-2013, 01:07 PM   #2

Did ya check the cummins forum site? I'm sure its been done before. By taking any blocks out of the rear and I'm sure someone makes lowering springs for the front. Don't know if that would effect the load capacity or not.

Old 06-10-2013, 01:11 PM   #3
Fulltime family RVer

I didn't look there. I'm too truck-stupid that 99% (purely made up number like most statistics! ) of their threads are over my head.
Old 06-10-2013, 02:33 PM   #4

I have a Chevy 2500hd. I know that is different than yours but I lowered my truck 1" in the front and 2-1/2" in the rear. The front I turned the torsion bars down till the CV shaft was level/parallel with the ground. At the rear I used lowering shackles.

I am running airbags from airlift that are a custom mount for lowered trucks. They add 2000lbs of capacity. The bags keep my truck from squatting to much and make it ride like a dream when loaded.

I'm not a fan of having a big tall truck. I use my truck and the extra 2-1/2" lower the bed is, makes it a whole lot nicer to load and unload.

On a duelly you could most likely go 3 to 5 inches on the rear alone. They sit really high in the rear. If you do it all with a shackle don't forget to adjust your pinion angle.
Air ride makes a lot of different bags. Call their tech line
Old 06-10-2013, 02:46 PM   #5
Mod free 5er

Lowered the rear of my 05 Silverado 2" to make it sit level. It does not lower you load capacity as it doesn't change any spring rate.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Truck after wash & wax by Hotties @ Fawn Ridge-Deer Path Davenport, FL 06Dec12.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	50.0 KB
ID:	32835  
Old 06-12-2013, 04:37 PM   #6
daydreaming about camping

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
Let me start off with this first - this is purely an education thing. I'm extremely unlikely to actually pursue this. I'm mostly just curious and wonder if it's possible.

I bought a 4x4 truck for the capabilities of having all 6 wheels drive vs. just the rear 4. I had heard that duallies can have issues on wet and snow. I did not buy the 4x4 for the ability to drive offroad (outside of occasional grass). No rock crawling, no trails - I live a simple life.

What I don't like about the 4x4 is that raised the height of the truck vs. the 4x2 by a couple of inches (or so I think).

Is it possible to lower the truck back down to the 4x2 height and not lose any payload capacity?
Do these still use a solid front axle? If so, then no you can't. I know my 05 Dodge was solid front axle and if you lowered it the pumpkin would hit the oil pan.

2013 Coachmen Freedom Express 320BHDS pulled by a 2005 F250 King Ranch CC

A rainy day camping is better than a sunny day at work.
jeeplj8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 04:51 PM   #7
Fulltime family RVer

I... have no idea. I can take pictures- but I've certainly have never seen a pumpkin .
Old 06-12-2013, 04:53 PM   #8
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeplj8 View Post
Do these still use a solid front axle? If so, then no you can't. I know my 05 Dodge was solid front axle and if you lowered it the pumpkin would hit the oil pan.
Boy that confuses this old man, I've always called the pumpkin the rearend housing (differential) and the oil pan is under the engine.
Old 06-12-2013, 04:59 PM   #9
Engineer of Crazy Train

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post

Boy that confuses this old man, I've always called the pumpkin the rearend housing (differential) and the oil pan is under the engine.
I think he is talking about the front differential housing. But aren't those usually offset to one side or another.
Locomotive Engineer
Nights Camping --- 2015 - 19 Camped | Winterized -- 2014 -18
Come read my Camping Blogs
ChooChooMan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 05:06 PM   #10
daydreaming about camping

Flabio - please turn your man card in at the next rest stop.

Coot - I was going to poke fun at your Chevy for being without a front diff just to make you look, but yours is independent front, vs solid axle so you cannot see the pumpkin. front or rear, it will always be a pumpkin.

ChooChoo - knows his business, but although they are offset that is still the problem. It just hits one side of the pan not the center.

2013 Coachmen Freedom Express 320BHDS pulled by a 2005 F250 King Ranch CC

A rainy day camping is better than a sunny day at work.
jeeplj8 is offline   Reply With Quote