Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-10-2013, 11:54 AM   #1
Always Learning

Lowering my truck without losing capabilities

Let me start off with this first - this is purely an education thing. I'm extremely unlikely to actually pursue this. I'm mostly just curious and wonder if it's possible.

I bought a 4x4 truck for the capabilities of having all 6 wheels drive vs. just the rear 4. I had heard that duallies can have issues on wet and snow. I did not buy the 4x4 for the ability to drive offroad (outside of occasional grass). No rock crawling, no trails - I live a simple life.

What I don't like about the 4x4 is that raised the height of the truck vs. the 4x2 by a couple of inches (or so I think).

Is it possible to lower the truck back down to the 4x2 height and not lose any payload capacity?
Old 06-10-2013, 12:07 PM   #2

Did ya check the cummins forum site? I'm sure its been done before. By taking any blocks out of the rear and I'm sure someone makes lowering springs for the front. Don't know if that would effect the load capacity or not.
Old 06-10-2013, 12:11 PM   #3
Always Learning

I didn't look there. I'm too truck-stupid that 99% (purely made up number like most statistics! ) of their threads are over my head.
Old 06-10-2013, 01:33 PM   #4

I have a Chevy 2500hd. I know that is different than yours but I lowered my truck 1" in the front and 2-1/2" in the rear. The front I turned the torsion bars down till the CV shaft was level/parallel with the ground. At the rear I used lowering shackles.

I am running airbags from airlift that are a custom mount for lowered trucks. They add 2000lbs of capacity. The bags keep my truck from squatting to much and make it ride like a dream when loaded.

I'm not a fan of having a big tall truck. I use my truck and the extra 2-1/2" lower the bed is, makes it a whole lot nicer to load and unload.

On a duelly you could most likely go 3 to 5 inches on the rear alone. They sit really high in the rear. If you do it all with a shackle don't forget to adjust your pinion angle.
Air ride makes a lot of different bags. Call their tech line
Old 06-10-2013, 01:46 PM   #5
Mod free 5er

Lowered the rear of my 05 Silverado 2" to make it sit level. It does not lower you load capacity as it doesn't change any spring rate.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Truck after wash & wax by Hotties @ Fawn Ridge-Deer Path Davenport, FL 06Dec12.jpg
Views:	369
Size:	50.0 KB
ID:	32835  
Old 06-12-2013, 03:37 PM   #6
daydreaming about camping

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
Let me start off with this first - this is purely an education thing. I'm extremely unlikely to actually pursue this. I'm mostly just curious and wonder if it's possible.

I bought a 4x4 truck for the capabilities of having all 6 wheels drive vs. just the rear 4. I had heard that duallies can have issues on wet and snow. I did not buy the 4x4 for the ability to drive offroad (outside of occasional grass). No rock crawling, no trails - I live a simple life.

What I don't like about the 4x4 is that raised the height of the truck vs. the 4x2 by a couple of inches (or so I think).

Is it possible to lower the truck back down to the 4x2 height and not lose any payload capacity?
Do these still use a solid front axle? If so, then no you can't. I know my 05 Dodge was solid front axle and if you lowered it the pumpkin would hit the oil pan.

2013 Coachmen Freedom Express 320BHDS pulled by a 2005 F250 King Ranch CC

A rainy day camping is better than a sunny day at work.
jeeplj8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 03:51 PM   #7
Always Learning

I... have no idea. I can take pictures- but I've certainly have never seen a pumpkin .
Old 06-12-2013, 03:53 PM   #8
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeplj8 View Post
Do these still use a solid front axle? If so, then no you can't. I know my 05 Dodge was solid front axle and if you lowered it the pumpkin would hit the oil pan.
Boy that confuses this old man, I've always called the pumpkin the rearend housing (differential) and the oil pan is under the engine.
Old 06-12-2013, 03:59 PM   #9
Engineer of Crazy Train

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post

Boy that confuses this old man, I've always called the pumpkin the rearend housing (differential) and the oil pan is under the engine.
I think he is talking about the front differential housing. But aren't those usually offset to one side or another.
Locomotive Engineer
Nights Camping --- 2015 - 19 Camped | Winterized -- 2014 -18
Come read my Camping Blogs
ChooChooMan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 04:06 PM   #10

Flabio - please turn your man card in at the next rest stop.

Coot - I was going to poke fun at your Chevy for being without a front diff just to make you look, but yours is independent front, vs solid axle so you cannot see the pumpkin. front or rear, it will always be a pumpkin.

ChooChoo - knows his business, but although they are offset that is still the problem. It just hits one side of the pan not the center.

Old 06-12-2013, 04:06 PM   #11
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChooChooMan74 View Post
I think he is talking about the front differential housing. But aren't those usually offset to one side or another.
Regardless, lowering the rearend does not lower the engine any closer to the front axle. You could take the rear end completely out of the truck and sit the rear bumper on the ground and it still doesn't change the engine-front axle relationship.
Old 06-12-2013, 04:08 PM   #12

Quote:
Regardless, lowering the rearend does not lower the engine any closer to the front axle. You could take the rear end completely out of the truck and sit the rear bumper on the ground and it still doesn't change the engine-front axle relationship.
I think Flabio wants to lower the whole truck because he has trouble getting in with his long flowing locks...

Old 06-12-2013, 04:14 PM   #13
Mod free 5er

Quote:
I think Flabio wants to lower the whole truck because he has trouble getting in with his long flowing locks...
Might have to put a pool noodle on the axle.
Old 06-12-2013, 04:23 PM   #14
Always Learning

Quote:
"Flabio" ...

Did you really just call me Flabio?!

Laughing my tush off - my wife thinks I'm insane. Nicely done. I know I made that reference before, but hilarious to see someone else say it.
Old 06-12-2013, 04:28 PM   #15
Mod free 5er

Quote:
"Flabio" ...

Did you really just call me Flabio?!

Laughing my tush off - my wife thinks I'm insane. Nicely done. I know I made that reference before, but hilarious to see someone else say it.
I guess long hair on a man is ok as long as he doesn't squat to pee.
Old 06-12-2013, 04:31 PM   #16
Always Learning

Quote:
I guess long hair on a man is ok as long as he doesn't squat to pee.
This may belong on the secrets thread - but I'm not against sitting to pee in some situations.
Old 06-12-2013, 04:35 PM   #17
Engineer of Crazy Train

Just did some searches and yes, it looks like you're out of luck.
Locomotive Engineer
Old 06-12-2013, 04:48 PM   #18
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChooChooMan74 View Post
Just did some searches and yes, it looks like you're out of luck.
Any idea why/how the 4x2s are lower? Guess I should confirm that they really are..
Old 06-12-2013, 04:56 PM   #19
Engineer of Crazy Train

Quote:
Any idea why/how the 4x2s are lower? Guess I should confirm that they really are..
Clearance for all the front drive train. If I was to buy a dually to just tow a fifth wheel, I would get a 2wd one. I had one. YES, I did get in situations where, mostly due to highway tires, I got stuck. But once I switched better tires, it was a lot better. Just learned not to get myself where I shouldn't go. Of course, I was younger and stupider back then.
Locomotive Engineer
Old 06-12-2013, 07:14 PM   #20

"Is it possible to lower the truck back down to the 4x2 height and not lose any payload capacity?"
Yes. Of course it is.
Anything can be done if there is enough money involved.
A shop could cut up the frame, change A arms, remove blocks, move spring mounts, etc and with air bags you could set it down on the frame rails.
BTW, if it is an independent front suspension the front dif housing is bolted into the frame, only the A arms move.
Twisty is offline   Reply With Quote