Old 05-20-2018, 07:41 AM   #1

Made it to the Cat Scale

First off, the cat scale (in Utah) I went to was awesome in letting me try what I wanted to try. I pulled forward and backward and dropped the trailer and all that.

Ultimately, I think the numbers are telling me my wdh is not transferring anything to the front and actually taking 100 pounds off the front.

First weigh (everything hooked together)
Front Axle: 3100
Back Axle: 3740
Trailer Axle: 6260

Second weigh (dropped trailer on third scal by itself and truck was on first two)
Front Axle: 3260
Back Axle: 2620
Trailer Axle: 7220

Third weigh (dropped trailer on first two scales, truck was off scales)
Trailer Tongue:1220
Trailer Axle: 5960

So as I far as I can tell, the wdh is putting 300 pounds on the trailer Axle, taking 160 pounds away from the front wheels, and dumping the rest right on the back Axle.

What should I see here? I think the front should be taking on some weight. How much?

I need to watch a video on how to adjust the hitch to push weight forward. I have an Equalizer.

Also, I should add I did not have water in the trailer (couldn't with timing) and a few things I normally bring were also not in the bed unfortunately.

Side note, I think the first numbers tell me my vehicle wight is 6840 including the tongue weight. My truck is gvwr of 7000, so looks like I'm only 60 pounds away from my payload capacity?? Guess my 2 year old and 5 year old will have to start staying home.

Lecasmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 07:56 AM   #2

Rockwood 2702 / Ford 150 /Equl 4PT ? Youroo!!

Old 05-20-2018, 07:56 AM   #3

I am a little confused here? do you have weights with the truck and trailer on the scales with and without the WDH hooked up??

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Sadie & Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxers
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 08:07 AM   #4

Yes, I have a 2702, 2017 F150 Max tow, and a 10k Equalizer 4pt hitch.

@oaklevel, my first numbers above are the pic from the cat scale link. so that is all hooked up on the 3 scales. tell second set of numbers is with the trailer unhooked. The trailer is completely on scale 3 by itself and the truck is on scale 1 and 2 by itself. The third numbers are the trailer by itself split on scale 1 and 2.
Old 05-20-2018, 08:12 AM   #5

One more weigh would have been helpful with and without the WDH bars hooked up.

Hopefully someone with come along that can help you more..... the DW is calling

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Sadie & Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxers
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 09:51 AM   #6

You can't tell how much weight is removed from the front axle without a weighting with the trailer hooked up and the WDH bars unattached. I would guess about 500 lbs looking your numbers. About two thirds of that weight is restored back to the front axle which would put your setup pretty good IMO.

2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
EQUALIZER E4 1200/12000
lbrjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 09:57 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbrjet View Post
You can't tell how much weight is removed from the front axle without a weighting with the trailer hooked up and the WDH bars unattached. I would guess about 500 lbs looking your numbers. About two thirds of that weight is restored back to the front axle which would put your setup pretty good IMO.
Well shoot, wish I would have done that measurement too. But doesn't knowing the weight with wdh and then the weight of the front axle with nothing show the wdh is dropping weight from the front?
Old 05-20-2018, 10:09 AM   #8

So, just a couple comments here.

1) You really need to get weight with weight distribution bars disconnected. Then, yo will know how much is coming OFF the front with no WD, and will be able to tell how much is being put back.

2) Looks like you are heavy on the tongue weight. Third weight says Trailer weight total is 7180, of which 1220 is TW. Typically, for best setup you want to be around 13-15%. 15% of 7180 is 1077. I would move some stuff from front if possible, to get down to about 930 lbs, which would be ~13%. Would take 300lbs off the tongue, and make you more compatible with your payload.

You will never be able to figure out how much weight is being distributed BACK to the Front axles without weight the combo hooked up with WD hitches disengaged. That is the only way to determine how much weight is being removed from front axles, and then the weight when engaged (your weigh #1) can be used to show how much has been put back.

I'd consider adjusting tongue weight if possible, before next weigh, but realize you will have to do it ALL over again at that point, since readjusting stuff in the TT will make all your current weights invalid.

Mike
Old 05-20-2018, 10:13 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lecasmer View Post
Well shoot, wish I would have done that measurement too. But doesn't knowing the weight with wdh and then the weight of the front axle with nothing show the wdh is dropping weight from the front?
No, because when you hook trailer with no weight distribution engaged you will take a lot more off the front. The WD is putting weight back to the front, just not the full amount.

Mike
Old 05-20-2018, 10:18 AM   #10

In regards to tongue weight, is that standing still to guess weight or distributed? In the 2702 you pretty much have one storage compartment for everything and that is up front. I can pull some things and go to the back bunks or something with them, but not a whole lot there. So if I were to distribute more of that to push weight out would that also do it or should I really just not leverage the storage compartment for as much as I am (which isn't crazy right now actually)?

Tags
cat