Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-28-2012, 09:56 AM   #1

magnetic lights on toad

My dealer wants to hook up my Honda fit to my forester using magnetic lights rather than the Honda's lights. Pros and cons of this, anyone?
lkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 10:26 AM   #2
AKA Bluebird

Send a message via Yahoo to dimurrrw
Forget magnetic lights. Not that they don't work but you have to put them on, take them off, and store them in between use. PITA! Great to have if you drive a tow truck.

dimurrrw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 05:31 PM   #3

I have a 2003 Tracker with a extra socket and bulb in each taillight hooked up with 4 color trailer wire . Runs underbody up to the front and hooks up with a 4 plug pig tail. No worries about any problems with cars eletric systems.
DangerCliff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 05:48 PM   #4
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerCliff View Post
I have a 2003 Tracker with a extra socket and bulb in each taillight hooked up with 4 color trailer wire . Runs underbody up to the front and hooks up with a 4 plug pig tail. No worries about any problems with cars electric systems.
This is the simplest and most trouble free way of doing it and eliminates having any storage problems or damaging your toad's finish with the magnetic mount. Most dealers can do this, if your dealer won't, find another one.
Old 05-24-2013, 10:48 AM   #5

I use magnetic lights. I run the cord through the trunk, hide it underneath the carpet, and run it through the firewall to front of the toad. I keep the lights stored in the trunk. Stays installed semi-permanently this way and only takes seconds to set it up. When I tow, I simply reach in the trunk and pull the lights out and put them on the trunk deck lid, and when disconnecting simply open the trunk and store the lights inside. The cord is plenty long for this setup. I use a drop-in auxiliary brake (Blueox Patriot), and have a toad-charge system connected. This way I have extra lights (4 parking lights) and five (5) brake lights when I hit the brakes! I like the extra warning for those following. If you do it this way, you'll have to remove the connector from the long cord to run it through the firewall - be sure and mark the pins so you'll know how to reconnect! When I replace the toad (which is an '07 model, I'll no doubt have it hard-wired for lighting and a permanent toad-brake system installed... but for now I LOVE my system!
Taylorgso is offline   Reply With Quote