Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-07-2017, 03:10 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by muddyrode View Post
i also change my oil every 5000 to 7000 miles shell rotella T6 and a fuel filter once a year all other maintenance is as scheduled
The two other fluids that I change regularly are Brake Fluid and Power Steering/Power Boost fluid. Both are usually neglected and keeping them clean improves the function of brakes and PS immensely. Both aer inexpensive adn easy to do, 1.5 hours total for both.
Old 12-07-2017, 03:33 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasReid View Post
The two other fluids that I change regularly are Brake Fluid and Power Steering/Power Boost fluid. Both are usually neglected and keeping them clean improves the function of brakes and PS immensely. Both aer inexpensive adn easy to do, 1.5 hours total for both.
That is probably a good idea but over the years I have never changed the PS or Brake fluid unless I was changing out a part. Never had an issue.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 04:03 PM   #43

Diesels

Newer diesels are recirculating dirty soot back into your engine(not a good idea)this soot creates havoc on your motor,it clogs turbos,sensors,etc,what a BAD idea!!!and these companys are pushing this crap on the consumers and leaving it for them to fix because they are too cheap and lazy to come up with a different way to solve emissions problems,then you have a particulate filter that can clog also....if i were buying a truck right now id go with a ram 3500 gasser with a 6.4,
Old 12-07-2017, 04:49 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oaklevel View Post
That is probably a good idea but over the years I have never changed the PS or Brake fluid unless I was changing out a part. Never had an issue.

Im betting if you look at your brake fluid reservoir the fluid inside is green. When it is new it is clear. The green color is algae growing in the water that has become emulsified in the fluid. Brake fluid (Dot 3 & 4 are designed to entrain the water to prevent it from forming droplets. The droplets would freeze in cold temps possibly causing blockages which could have disastrous consequences.

The water lowers the boiling point of the fluid, decreasing the braking in an emergency situation. The algae does not do the seals in the system any good at all.

a $37 tool at Harbor freight will allow you to do it by yourself in about 35 min if you have a compressor available.

Im also betting your PS/PB fluid is black. It too is clear when new. JUST like your engine and transmission oil the contaminates are not doing your power boost or power steering mechanisms any good.

I know how to flush the system on the Duramax/Allison but not on the Cummins. Im betting it is no harder than on mine, you just have to find a Cummins forum that will have a thread to teach you.

As I said, these fluids are most neglected maintenance on most vehicles because most do not understand the importance of flushing them regularly.
Old 12-07-2017, 04:59 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyinfla View Post
Newer diesels are recirculating dirty soot back into your engine(not a good idea)this soot creates havoc on your motor,it clogs turbos,sensors,etc,what a BAD idea!!!and these companys are pushing this crap on the consumers and leaving it for them to fix because they are too cheap and lazy to come up with a different way to solve emissions problems,then you have a particulate filter that can clog also....if i were buying a truck right now id go with a ram 3500 gasser with a 6.4,
Many people have reasons for choosing a gasser over a diesel tow vehicle. Im NOT going to get into that discussion.

All I will say is that I have towed a 7800 GVWR and 12200 GVWR 5ers with both a gasser and a diesel. Even crossing the Mississippi River bridge in Baton Rouge on I-10, the gasser was down to 35 MPH at the top of the bridge with the engine screaming. My Duramax is still doing 62 MPH. It does drop a gear but never slows down.

If I were not towing Id have a 1/2 ton gasser. The modern diesels do have their issues, but so did the older (pre-emissions) had theirs as well. And there are work-arounds for everything. Properly maintained the diesel will easily last in excess of 500,000 miles. I dont believe you can say that for any gasser. Not to mention that the mileage with the gasser, towing, was 7.2 MPG, with the current setup, 10.5

Since have no plans to stop camping, my choice will always be the diesel. It is a much more relaxing enjoyable trip for me and DW.
Old 12-07-2017, 05:08 PM   #46
Insert witty title here

Maintenance: Gas vs Diesel

The biggest PITA of a gas truck is refueling. Finding a station I can navigate with a trailer was a real chore. Diesels can easily fuel up at any truck stop saving TONS of aggravation.

2021 Transcend Xplor 247BH
Husky WDH with Sway Control
2021 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT 6.6L V8 Duramax
Forever in my memory. Forever in my heart.
Laurie J. Wood 3/22/67 - 8/23/19
timfromma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 05:11 PM   #47

Quote:
If you can come up with a better idea than what their engineers can come up with I'm sure they would be all ears
1953 GMC 9314
1982 GoldWing Interstate
Lins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 05:19 PM   #48

Quote:
ONE last point.............Gassers are also recirculating soot back into their engine. The system is called EGR (Exhaust, Gas Recirculation). Been around since the 70s in gasoline engines.
Old 12-07-2017, 05:23 PM   #49
Multi-Slacker

Thanks to everyone who has replied thus far. I the thread drifting to the 'ole gas vs diesel as a TV. Please keep your responses to maintenance.. I'm convinced that I would like a diesel, I'm just not convinced that I can afford a diesel.

Thanks again for your time!
Old 12-07-2017, 05:32 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurtPutnam View Post
Thanks to everyone who has replied thus far. I the thread drifting to the 'ole gas vs diesel as a TV. Please keep your responses to maintenance.. I'm convinced that I would like a diesel, I'm just not convinced that I can afford a diesel.

Thanks again for your time!
If you really want a diesel my suggestion would (as in any vehicle or other major purchase) would be first decide what it is you need to tow your load. The choices aer 3/4 ton, 1 ton or 1 ton dual rear wheels.

Having made that decision, based on the weight of the towed vehicle would be to decide which make you want. Too any variables here for anyone but you to decide. Obviously I made my choice, others made different choices. That is capitalism, choices.

When I was recently looking for another truck I used Auto Trader and Cars.com, looking for a vehicle that was what I wanted, low miles, low price, best possible options. I found an older 08 Silverado LTZ, Duramax/Allison combo, less than 100,000 miles for less than 1/3 the cost of a new vehicle.

It was a no brainer. To find deals like this you must know what you want and be patient til the right deal comes along. Research and being willing to drive to get it is another very helpful thing.

PS, when someone butts into a conversation, basically telling others they are all wet, they get an earful. That is what happened here I think with the gasser vs diesel thing.
Old 12-07-2017, 06:04 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by timfromma View Post
The biggest PITA of a gas truck is refueling. Finding a station I can navigate with a trailer was a real chore. Diesels can easily fuel up at any truck stop saving TONS of aggravation.
Yes I will say that is one advantage of having a diesel. Really like my naturally aspirated truck and the V10/4.30 combo eats up any hill like a diesel. But yeah the only negative is hoping I get off at an exit where the pump orientation isn't a PITA. Oh well, I guess diesels have to worry about finding a gas station with diesel!
Old 12-07-2017, 06:05 PM   #52
Multi-Slacker

We need a new truck. Pretty much decided on an F350 SRW with either 4:10 or 4:30 rear gears. Truck will be set up for max tow and max payload. We will order new from the factory. So that pretty much leaves engine type as the sole remaining question. Maintenance cost is a huge part of the answer.

If, after this thread, diesel is still in the running, then I will bring up the other factors that will bear on the decision in another thread.

Thanks again, Curt
Old 12-07-2017, 06:43 PM   #53
Insert witty title here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturn V View Post
Yes I will say that is one advantage of having a diesel. Really like my naturally aspirated truck and the V10/4.30 combo eats up any hill like a diesel. But yeah the only negative is hoping I get off at an exit where the pump orientation isn't a PITA. Oh well, I guess diesels have to worry about finding a gas station with diesel!

ANY truck stop.

Besides that, at least around here there are more stations with diesel than those without.

2021 Transcend Xplor 247BH
Husky WDH with Sway Control
2021 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT 6.6L V8 Duramax
Forever in my memory. Forever in my heart.
Laurie J. Wood 3/22/67 - 8/23/19
timfromma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 07:10 PM   #54

I have a 2017 F-350 6.7 diesel. Just had the oil changed and it was less than $60 at the dealer. It has a lifetime fuel filter that never needs replacing. I expect it will be very economical to operate.
Old 12-08-2017, 04:19 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurtPutnam View Post
We need a new truck. Pretty much decided on an F350 SRW with either 4:10 or 4:30 rear gears. Truck will be set up for max tow and max payload. We will order new from the factory. So that pretty much leaves engine type as the sole remaining question. Maintenance cost is a huge part of the answer.

If, after this thread, diesel is still in the running, then I will bring up the other factors that will bear on the decision in another thread.

Thanks again, Curt
I ruled out diesel while doing my scheduled/unscheduled maintenance pain-in-the-rear tolerance limit but I have a thing for truck numbers. The ratios for diesel in SRW is 3.31 or 3.55. The available choice of gear ratio for the gas motor in SRW is either 3.73 or 4.30.

I shopped them all this year...and really liked the Ford Super Duty 6.2 with 4.30's -I couldn't buy it, my last truck was a Ford and the experience was unpleasant...maybe next time.
Old 12-08-2017, 10:34 AM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwdilday View Post
I have a 2017 F-350 6.7 diesel. Just had the oil changed and it was less than $60 at the dealer. It has a lifetime fuel filter that never needs replacing. I expect it will be very economical to operate.
What makes you think you have a lifetime fuel filter? What manufacture will warranty the Bosch fuel system for lifetime and whose lifetime is it? All diesel fuel filters will plug after awhile. That is why we change them.

I could be wrong but I thought Ford has two fuel filters on their diesel fuel system for their diesels, both of these are lifetime now? I know that Ram has two fuel filters starting in 2013.5 MY trucks.
Old 12-08-2017, 11:05 AM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim34RL View Post
What makes you think you have a lifetime fuel filter? What manufacture will warranty the Bosch fuel system for lifetime and whose lifetime is it? All diesel fuel filters will plug after awhile. That is why we change them.

I could be wrong but I thought Ford has two fuel filters on their diesel fuel system for their diesels, both of these are lifetime now? I know that Ram has two fuel filters starting in 2013.5 MY trucks.
I think he is talking about these types of filters, not really lifetime, more like cleanable. https://www.amazon.com/Pure-Power-Li.../dp/B00DITCVXE
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 11:22 AM   #58

I think Jim35rl and NMwildcat may be right. I have to read the manual more but I think there are 2 fuel filters plus a separator. At least one needs to be changed if not both. I know I read somewhere that it was a lifetime fuel filter at the fuel tank but I think there is a second filter over the engine. Sorry for the mis-post. But I still love the 6.7 pulling the 18,000 fiver.
Old 12-08-2017, 11:50 AM   #59

Injectors for my 5.9 Cummins which are known trouble spots for 2003-2007 cost over $500 each just for the part. They usually don't last more than 150k per set. By the time you buy the gaskets and other recommend parts and installation you are looking at a $4500-5000 job. You could get a new crate Hemi every 150000 miles for that cost. That is on one of the most desirable diesels because of their reilalabily, is hate to have one of the bad diesels LOL!
Hersbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 12:05 PM   #60

Boy this is always a strong subject and its easy to see why. Personally, I have a gas 2500. 7 quarts of oil and filter (special synthentic) every 7-8K is 60 dollars or so. Rolling over 60K this month. Changed Air filter a few times. The 100K service will be a bit more, trans, front and rear diff and transfer case fluids.
Nights Camped 2016: 32
ryand is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, gas, maintenance