Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-15-2013, 12:21 PM   #1

Manitoba Class 3 Drivers License

This is a rather specific subject but am hoping someone who lives in Manitoba will be able to give me some feedback.
I am in the process of upgrading both my truck and trailer. Have sold the Dodge and am looking for an 2011/12 F350. Also looking for a larger 5th wheel. The 5ers we are looking at will put me over GVWR of 10000# and will require me to upgrade my drivers license to a Class 3. I have taken the written test and the medical (which is req every 3yrs till I'm 65, then annually thereafter). I am now able to drive a larger trailer if accompanied by a driver who has held a class 3 for 2 years.
To be able to drive the trailer unaccompanied a road test is required but here's the catch 22. I need the larger trailer to take the test. I can't drive the larger trailer to the testing facility until I have the license. I'm wondering if anyone has a solution for this dilemma, like a place to rent a unit to take the test. I live in Winnipeg. The local RV dealer may drive the unit to the test facility if I buy from them but I don't like having to buy from them.
I also understand I have to get a Safety Certificate on my TV every year. Is this true?
I'm learning all this piecemeal. No salesman tells you this stuff unless you specifically ask the right question.
Charli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 12:32 PM   #2

Man what a pain!
Why do you need a med-cert for a RV?
Old 12-15-2013, 12:43 PM   #3

Its not necessarily just for an RV. If you drive a truck with more than 2 axles or drive a truck pulling any trailer with GVWR more than 4540KG (10000lbs). Guess they want to eliminate as much as possible health problems, heart attacks, etc causing accidents when driving bigger rigs.
And yes it is a pain!
Old 12-15-2013, 12:54 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charli View Post
Its not necessarily just for an RV. If you drive a truck with more than 2 axles or drive a truck pulling any trailer with GVWR more than 4540KG (10000lbs). Guess they want to eliminate as much as possible health problems, heart attacks, etc causing accidents when driving bigger rigs.
And yes it is a pain!
I would think a skills tests should be more than enough.
Once a year from 60 up just to show you can handle what you drive?

Here in the US a med-cert is for the pro drivers as far as I know.

Do you need to pass a drug screen?
Old 12-15-2013, 02:53 PM   #5

hello OP
You do require annual safety inspections on your vehicle every 12 months if it has a GVWR over 4500KG (9900 lbs)
Standards & Inspection
With regards to driving and the road test, the couple people that I know that went through this were given a contact from the RV selling dealership that ran them through the test items and had an appropriate vehicle combo available for rent for the test.
Holders of Authorized Instruction for Class 1, 2, 3 and 4 must be accompanied by a person who holds a valid licence and has held a minimum Full Class 5 licence for at least three years, of which two years are the same class of licence being sought. This person is known as the supervising driver and must sit in the seat nearest the driver.
per Manitoba's Class Licence System

If your dealership does not have a contact I would suggest any reputable class 1-4 driving school.
Old 12-16-2013, 11:34 PM   #6

Quote:
This is a rather specific subject but am hoping someone who lives in Manitoba will be able to give me some feedback.
I am in the process of upgrading both my truck and trailer. Have sold the Dodge and am looking for an 2011/12 F350. .
I went thru all this last year, for me the easiest way was to use my buddies flat deck trailer and my truck for the road test! The trailer has to be registered for more than 4500 kgs. and must have a current safety inspection certificate/decal! I think the truck will need yearly inspections if registered for more than 4500kgs. The trailer (RV) will be exempted from yearly inspections if more than 4500kgs. gross. PM me if you like.
Old 02-20-2014, 10:54 AM   #7

Manitoba Class 3 Drivers Licence - process

PrairieCamper is right - any trailer registered over 4500 kgs is good for the road test.

The entire process is a bit of a maze. Here is how I did it:

1. Get medical form from MPI broker

2. Book written test appt at MPI broker – Pay $10
3. Get medical forms filled out by Doc - $30 or $35 fee if you have had a physical in the last 6 months else must get a fresh physical.

4. Provide Medical form to MPI (takes a few days to get it processed)

5. Prep for written test

a. Class 5 drivers handbook
b. Professional Drivers Handbook
c. Take online quizzes (repeat over and over asking for 10 questions for Class 3) – should cover off most of questions on real written test

6. Attend written test, touch screen, 18 questions, must get 15 correct, can skip a question and come back to it later.

7. Instructional license (learners) will be granted if med form already provided. This allows driving with Supervisor driver in the passenger seat. Supervisor driver must have had Class 3 or better for 2 years.

8. Book road test ($45) – med form must be provided
a. Book right after written test if you have med form already OR later at broker when you provide med form
b. Road test must be at least 2 weeks after written test has been passed.
9. Road test
a. Attend with any rig that requires Class 3.
b. Need someone with Class 3 license to drive you and a rig to the test.
c. Must have valid registration, safety sticker and safety certificate papers. Note: Safety not required if trailer is less than 6 months old.
d. The biggest part of the road test is the pre trip inspection. They have a very prescribed method that you need to follow. PM me for more info.
e. Road test is simple 10 minute drive. Backup not required for Class 3 test.

Most people will fail the first time because of the pre-trip inspection but the experience should help you to pass next time (another $45).

It is difficult to ascertain all this information from MPI documentation so ask lots of questions.

I also figured out that Driving Instructors are not easy to come by for this. You could go to a Truck Driving school for big $$$ but a regular driving instructor can only do instruction in a certified vehicle and they will only have a car that is certified.

A little more complicated than necessary but that's the process - good luck!
thedblc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 11:49 AM   #8

I had the same issues a few years ago which resulted with following:

I had a f350 daully with a GVWR greater than the 4,500 kg. I weight the truck
With the 5th attached I found that I was under the 4,500 kg rating so
In accordance with the highway traffic act I registered my truck under the
4,500kg and avoided the yearly truck inspections.

In regards to the trailer registration if your loaded trailer does not
exceed 4,500kg you can register it under the GVWR and avoid
The class 3 drivers licence requirements.

That being said I recommend you write the Minister to confirm the above
Just in case the laws have changed in the last few years

Gary
mbtelguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 11:54 AM   #9

Well I have taken the written test and got the medical so now it's just the road test. I had talked to a driver examiner at MPI and he suggested I could take my test with my existing 5er which has GVWR of less than 10000#. Just come in with trailer in tow and reregistered it for over 10000# and take the test. If I pass I drive home. If I fail I reregistered it for under 10000 and drive home and try it again. I was dubious to say the least but on their suggestion I emailed the Driver Examiner Lead to confirm and she said I could do it that way. No mention of a Saftey. So once the roads clear a bit I will give it a try. Now I have to buy a hitch to fit my truck.
theblc, I will PM you. Thanks
Old 02-20-2014, 12:06 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbtelguy View Post
I had the same issues a few years ago which resulted with following:

I had a f350 daully with a GVWR greater than the 4,500 kg. I weight the truck
With the 5th attached I found that I was under the 4,500 kg rating so
In accordance with the highway traffic act I registered my truck under the
4,500kg and avoided the yearly truck inspections.

In regards to the trailer registration if your loaded trailer does not
exceed 4,500kg you can register it under the GVWR and avoid
The class 3 drivers licence requirements.

That being said I recommend you write the Minister to confirm the above
Just in case the laws have changed in the last few years

Gary
I had a similar problem with the truck I just bought. Made the deal with the salesman. Got the paperwork and went to get the insurance for it. That's when things got bizzare. The GVWR for the truck is 11,500#. Insurance agent said he couldn't register it at that weight cause I didn't have my class 3. The salesman of course made no mention of this. We registered it for under 10000# and I drove it home. Whats interesting is if you look on the gov't website the is no stipulation with respect to the GVWR of the truck. Only on the trailer. The stipulation for the truck is the number of axles. If you have more than 2 axles you have to have a class 3. If you have 2 axles (as I do) a class 5 is fine.
Old 02-22-2014, 02:07 PM   #11

Quote:
I had a similar problem with the truck I just bought. Made the deal with the salesman. Got the paperwork and went to get the insurance for it. That's when things got bizzare. The GVWR for the truck is 11,500#. Insurance agent said he couldn't register it at that weight cause I didn't have my class 3. The salesman of course made no mention of this. We registered it for under 10000# and I drove it home. Whats interesting is if you look on the gov't website the is no stipulation with respect to the GVWR of the truck. Only on the trailer. The stipulation for the truck is the number of axles. If you have more than 2 axles you have to have a class 3. If you have 2 axles (as I do) a class 5 is fine.
The insurance agent sounds dumb as a stump - from MPI for class 5:
Passenger cars, a bus while not carrying passengers, trucks with two axles,
and any combination of vehicles consisting of a truck with two axles and a
towed vehicle with a registered gross vehicle weight of up to 4,540 kilograms
May operate Class 3 vehicles if registered as a farm truck and the driver holds
a Class 5l (Intermediate Stage) licence or 5F (Full Stage) licence.
May operate a Moped
There is no weight restriction --- I suggest a better insurance broker