Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-14-2014, 05:18 PM   #21
Wanna Be Camper
 
SaskCampers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan
Posts: 2,370
Stick in a sporty car sure, in my drag car.. na I will keep my built C6 with 5000 stall converter, in my truck..no thanks I will take the manual mode capable 6 speed any day over a stick. Sure I am getting lazy but with hill start assist to prevent roll backs starting out on hills and decent control to come down crazy grades, why would I want a stick anymore and oh ya cruise does work so much better on my auto box.
__________________

__________________

John & Deb
2011 F250 Lariat FX4 Crew Cab 6.2
2011 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRLS
Days Camped 2016: 3 2017: 0
SaskCampers is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-14-2014, 05:20 PM   #22
Senior Member
 
Taranwanderer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: NEPA
Posts: 1,446
It's too bad that manuals are dying out. I like shifting my own gears, and I really don't mind towing with it--I love being able to downshift to slow the consist down, and I've never had an issue with getting any of my vehicles into reverse (and they all are different.) Manufacturers are moving away from them because they don't sell. They're simpler, longer lasting, get better mileage, and are easier/less expensive to fix when/if they do go bad. Again, it's a shame. I don't own an automatic trans in my fleet...
__________________

__________________
2015 XLR Hyperlite 30HFS5 (mods being performed regularly)
2009 Salem LA 292fkds (gone)
Nights- ('12)23 ('13)23 ('14)15 ('15)31 ('16)27 ('17) 20
2016 Ford Fusion Titanium (gulping gas again, camping support vehicle)
2014 Harley Davidson FLHX (XLR cargo)
2011 Ram 2500 CC 4X4 CTD, B&W Companion (toy hauler hauler)
Taranwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-14-2014, 05:20 PM   #23
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Saskatchewan, Canada
Posts: 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaskCampers View Post
Stick in a sporty car sure, in my drag car.. na I will keep my built C6 with 5000 stall converter, in my truck..no thanks I will take the manual mode capable 6 speed any day over a stick. Sure I am getting lazy but with hill start assist to prevent roll backs starting out on hills and decent control to come down crazy grades, why would I want a stick anymore and oh ya cruise does work so much better on my auto box.
I agree with my provincial compatriot.

Sports car manual = fun
Not sports car manual = inconvenient and unnecessary
__________________

2011 F150 SuperCrew 5.0 4x4
2012 Flagstaff 27BESS
pappcam is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-14-2014, 05:34 PM   #24
Senior Member
 
JonClark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 174
We have this discussion and problem at work all the time. Half the trucks are manual and the other half auto. People take the overtime on a job and then say I can't drive that it's not an automatic. We laugh and send them home with their heads hung low. It's sad that truck drivers can't drive a manual transmission dump truck or log truck.
__________________
JonClark is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-14-2014, 05:45 PM   #25
Senior Member
 
Taranwanderer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: NEPA
Posts: 1,446
If you want a manual, that's fine, buy whatever you want. If that's what you want. My issue is that because there are SO many people out there who don't want a manual, the choice is being taken away from those of us that do. If a manual was ALL that was available (like it was way back in the day,) then I'm pretty sure you'd learn how to drive one. But because autos are out there, and they're just so much easier to drive, and they require less thought and physical coordination to use, the manuals are being phased out. It's just TOO HARD to shift, apparently.

If you don't like my explanation, then why don't you venture a reason as to why no one seems to want to buy/drive them anymore?
__________________
2015 XLR Hyperlite 30HFS5 (mods being performed regularly)
2009 Salem LA 292fkds (gone)
Nights- ('12)23 ('13)23 ('14)15 ('15)31 ('16)27 ('17) 20
2016 Ford Fusion Titanium (gulping gas again, camping support vehicle)
2014 Harley Davidson FLHX (XLR cargo)
2011 Ram 2500 CC 4X4 CTD, B&W Companion (toy hauler hauler)
Taranwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-14-2014, 06:07 PM   #26
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Saskatchewan, Canada
Posts: 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taranwanderer View Post
If you want a manual, that's fine, buy whatever you want. If that's what you want. My issue is that because there are SO many people out there who don't want a manual, the choice is being taken away from those of us that do. If a manual was ALL that was available (like it was way back in the day,) then I'm pretty sure you'd learn how to drive one. But because autos are out there, and they're just so much easier to drive, and they require less thought and physical coordination to use, the manuals are being phased out. It's just TOO HARD to shift, apparently.

If you don't like my explanation, then why don't you venture a reason as to why no one seems to want to buy/drive them anymore?
They're easier to drive and that's all the reason needed. That doesn't make people lazy or stupid. Why would someone want to do a completely unnecessary task if there was a very common and easy way out of doing the task? I guess you could get some weird pleasure out of constantly doing this unnecessary task as some sort of victory over laziness but I see no point to it.

Again, I'm only talking about daily driver type vehicles and not about sports cars or big trucks.
__________________

2011 F150 SuperCrew 5.0 4x4
2012 Flagstaff 27BESS
pappcam is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-14-2014, 06:24 PM   #27
Senior Member
 
rattleNsmoke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Western Connecticut
Posts: 1,571
I was taught on a 'three on the tree' Ford Galaxie 500. I cut the shifter off the column with a hack saw and cut a 6" square hole in the floor to install my Hurst shifter, white cue ball and all. My three kids each learned to drive the 'Cheap Jeep', a '98 Cherokee with a 4.0L and a 5 spd stick. I put them on some of the steepest hills I could find and repeated the drill over and over until they didn't roll one foot backwards. I believe the kids wanted to kill me but as of this day are thankful for the lessons learned. They'll brag the fact that their friends never learned to drive a stick and how they can. Funny how my daughter puts her machisimo guy friends in their place.
__________________
2010 Cedar Creek 5th Wheel 34SATS "The Beast"
2006 Ford F350 Lariat 6.0L Diesel
2003 Harley Heritage Softail "Hogzilla"
1986 Marriage to "Wifey" (patience of a saint)
rattleNsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-14-2014, 07:07 PM   #28
Junior Member
 
irishtom29's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 28
Given the nature of modern automatics, to prefer a standard shift is sometimes an affectation or a case of the cult of the archaic ( as Paul Fussell put it).

I think what I call "tool envy" is sometimes involved: many modern men have sedentary jobs and an unfulfilled need to use tools that do a physical job, to feel an uncommon sense of physical control over machinery. Shifting gears, even though they don't need shifting, can fill this need.

My last vehicle with a standard was a totally stripped 2006 F-150. I was looking for a simple, austere work truck and it was the cheapest truck on the lot. And that, to save a few bucks, was, IME, usually the reason a person bought a standard shift.
__________________
irishtom29 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-14-2014, 10:05 PM   #29
Senior Member
 
Taranwanderer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: NEPA
Posts: 1,446
Quote:
Originally Posted by pappcam View Post
They're easier to drive and that's all the reason needed. That doesn't make people lazy or stupid. Why would someone want to do a completely unnecessary task if there was a very common and easy way out of doing the task? I guess you could get some weird pleasure out of constantly doing this unnecessary task as some sort of victory over laziness but I see no point to it.

Again, I'm only talking about daily driver type vehicles and not about sports cars or big trucks.
Easier to drive, yes. Better for towing heavy loads, no. Why would you buy the truck that is less capable because you don't want a 3rd pedal to deal with? And I know, before all you guys with autos jump in here and tell me how far autos have come in the towing department, yes they have--but if autos were so great at towing and dealing with heavier loads and more stress in the first place, then why are dump trucks, concrete trucks, and most big rigs still manuals? I'll let you all answer that question on your own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishtom29 View Post
Given the nature of modern automatics, to prefer a standard shift is sometimes an affectation or a case of the cult of the archaic ( as Paul Fussell put it).

I think what I call "tool envy" is sometimes involved: many modern men have sedentary jobs and an unfulfilled need to use tools that do a physical job, to feel an uncommon sense of physical control over machinery. Shifting gears, even though they don't need shifting, can fill this need.
Congratulations, this post wins the award for the "post most adding nothing constructive to this thread."

I prefer standard shifts for several reasons, and none of them have to do with an archaic sense of tool envy. The 6 speed in my truck does a better job of dealing with the forces of towing, accelerating, and engine braking than an auto does, no question. Not to mention its more bulletproof than most autos out there. The 6 speed in my VW is way more fun to drive than the auto or DSG equivalent (and I test drove both, the DSG even with paddle shifters,) and it gets better mileage. And the 6 speed in my Harley is a pure torque-distributing pleasure to shift. If they ever come out with an automatic transmission motorcycle, I'd say we've had it as a species.

So you can take your theory and place it in the appropriate file.
__________________
2015 XLR Hyperlite 30HFS5 (mods being performed regularly)
2009 Salem LA 292fkds (gone)
Nights- ('12)23 ('13)23 ('14)15 ('15)31 ('16)27 ('17) 20
2016 Ford Fusion Titanium (gulping gas again, camping support vehicle)
2014 Harley Davidson FLHX (XLR cargo)
2011 Ram 2500 CC 4X4 CTD, B&W Companion (toy hauler hauler)
Taranwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-14-2014, 10:25 PM   #30
Oklahoma Proud
 
MillerTime's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: central OK
Posts: 2,775
Really guys???
This is all about preference, obviously there are arguments that can go both ways on reliability, handling etc.
The fact is manuals are going the same route as bias ply tires, carburetors, and dumb phones! They are out there, but getting harder to find and might not be all they use to be cracked up to be compared to newer technological advances.
Just sayin.
I own both and couldn't care less which way it goes.
__________________

__________________
MillerTime is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Reply

Tags
manual

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:00 PM.