Old 07-16-2014, 06:11 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyDan View Post
My last vacation- just 3 weeks ago- we spent 4 hours traveling less than
140 miles on the interstate. That's average speed of 35.
Many, many times it was stop and go with lots of stop.
We crept along at less than 10 MPH over and over.
The entire day was over 8 hours grueling hours on the road.
I am very glad I didn't have a stick shift.

I know how to drive a stick. I used to drive a 10 ton IH loadstar with a gear
jamming NON-syncronized tranny that had to be double clutched to
shift without grinding. It also had a 2 speed rear end.
I can do it.
I choose not to.
It also had manual steering and I had a city delivery route.
I'll take my power steering thank you very much.

Stick shifts only give better mileage IF YOU SHIFT EARLY.
Check the mpg ratings on cars or trucks with auto or stick option.
It's often better with the auto tranny.

Please don't call me lazy.
I won't call you lazy but I will say that you didn't know how to drive a stick if you had to double clutch to shift that truck. Someone needed to teach you how to shift it. You have to match gears

2006 EZ GO 6" lift
transamz9 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-16-2014, 06:53 AM   #42
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by transamz9 View Post
I won't call you lazy but I will say that you didn't know how to drive a stick if you had to double clutch to shift that truck. Someone needed to teach you how to shift it. You have to match gears
I venture to guess you never drove cars & trucks built in the 30's and 40's when the tranny's were not synchronized.

Old 07-16-2014, 08:17 AM   #43

First, second and third cars were all stick. Now when I get stuck in traffic (1.5 hrs outside Cape Cod last weekend, on a hill) I am glad to have the auto.

My wife's Subaru XT lost it's clutch on the way to our honeymoon and we had to drive back home for another vehicle without it. That was... interesting.

I moved on from a bag phone to a smart phone, a mountain bike to a road bike and I also buy cold cuts at the super market rather than hiding in my yard with a spear waiting for that daily flock of turkeys to wander through. Frankly I am glad that technology has taken away one of my pedals.

DWs new Subaru XV has the CVT with steering wheel paddles that I am starting to enjoy (it is nice to downshift without taking the hands off the wheel.)

If it is lazy to keep up with technology, I am fine with that. I was assimilated a long time ago now.

My point is that it makes sense for FMC to get rid of a technology that was a niche market at this point. There will be plenty of retro vehicles available for a few more years for hard core gear heads.
2013 - 15
Arefbee is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-16-2014, 09:56 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
I venture to guess you never drove cars & trucks built in the 30's and 40's when the tranny's were not synchronized.
None of big trucks I drive daily have synchronized transmissions. I drive a 8LL in a tri-axle dump truck and a 18 speed in a semi and a 5+2 in a f800 which none are synchronized. We also have a water truck with a 6 speed that is synchronized and it is a little harder to match gears in but very doable. The only time the clutch is used is stopping and starting.

On edit, no I didn't drive 30's and 40's cars. I drive trucks and that's what we are talking about right?
2006 EZ GO 6" lift
Old 07-16-2014, 10:03 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arefbee View Post
First, second and third cars were all stick. Now when I get stuck in traffic (1.5 hrs outside Cape Cod last weekend, on a hill) I am glad to have the auto.

My wife's Subaru XT lost it's clutch on the way to our honeymoon and we had to drive back home for another vehicle without it. That was... interesting.

I moved on from a bag phone to a smart phone, a mountain bike to a road bike and I also buy cold cuts at the super market rather than hiding in my yard with a spear waiting for that daily flock of turkeys to wander through. Frankly I am glad that technology has taken away one of my pedals.

DWs new Subaru XV has the CVT with steering wheel paddles that I am starting to enjoy (it is nice to downshift without taking the hands off the wheel.)

If it is lazy to keep up with technology, I am fine with that. I was assimilated a long time ago now.

My point is that it makes sense for FMC to get rid of a technology that was a niche market at this point. There will be plenty of retro vehicles available for a few more years for hard core gear heads.
Technology has come along way in standard transmissions and clutches.

To be fair, I think FMC has the best Auto in their trucks for the way I like to drive I just wish they has a floor shifter instead of buttons. If you lock a Ford's truck trans in 6th it will stay in 6th no matter how much fuel you give it. It won't gear down until you get to idle speed.
2006 EZ GO 6" lift
Old 07-16-2014, 10:48 AM   #46
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by transamz9 View Post
..On edit, no I didn't drive 30's and 40's cars. I drive trucks and that's what we are talking about right?
I was mainly talking about the old 30's-40's 2-2.5 T trucks used on farms. You had to double clutch them while hauling hay, etc. and even when they were empty.
Old 07-16-2014, 05:54 PM   #47

My wife's first car was a '96 Grand Am, 5-speed. I could drive it just fine, but the allure of a stick never caught on. Driving a vehicle isn't that kind of thing to me. Just want to get down the road.

It's all preference, just everyone has preferences in different things. Such as I would much rather have an accoustic piano over a digital one, even though it would require periodic tuning. To me, nothing beats the sound, touch, and feel of felt covered hammers and wooden action components striking strings and making a wooden soundboard come alive. Just like some of you want to feel each gear.

There's no right or wrong to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 07-16-2014, 06:08 PM   #48
NELA

On a lighter note....I well remember my ex teaching me how to drive a stick.

He made me learn on a steep hill! I was literally bawling my eyes and praying for a third foot. Learned in his early 70s Camaro.

Scared the beejeepers outta me!
Attached Images

If age is a state of mind, and I've lost my mind, I'm AGELESS, right?
Give me 40 acres and I'll turn this rig around:
Flagstaff 5er 2014 8528 IKWS, Platinum Package, Regency Interior "Buffy"
F250 Super Duty 2013 Tuxedo Black "Biff"
Days camped 2014: 30
Weezer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-16-2014, 06:17 PM   #49
Mod free 5er

Learned on a 1941 Studebaker Commander that had what they called a "Hill holder" when I was 13. When you pulled to a stop with your foot on the brake and depressed the clutch just before stopping, the clutch pedal would hold the brake so you could take your right foot off the brake and the car would not roll backward. Neat, we later got a 1950 Studebaker Land Cruiser and it had the same thing. Neat!
Old 07-16-2014, 06:18 PM   #50

My friend taught me in a Pinto station wagon that we had to push to start when it stalled....taught me real fast NOT to stall it and became a pro at sitting at a hill too 😄 - all a rush job when DH bought a stick shift Mustang that was to be my car !!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

Tags
manual