Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-14-2014, 04:18 PM   #21
Wanna Be Camper

Stick in a sporty car sure, in my drag car.. na I will keep my built C6 with 5000 stall converter, in my truck..no thanks I will take the manual mode capable 6 speed any day over a stick. Sure I am getting lazy but with hill start assist to prevent roll backs starting out on hills and decent control to come down crazy grades, why would I want a stick anymore and oh ya cruise does work so much better on my auto box.

John & Deb
2011 F250 Lariat FX4 Crew Cab 6.2
2011 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRLS
SaskCampers is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-14-2014, 04:20 PM   #22

It's too bad that manuals are dying out. I like shifting my own gears, and I really don't mind towing with it--I love being able to downshift to slow the consist down, and I've never had an issue with getting any of my vehicles into reverse (and they all are different.) Manufacturers are moving away from them because they don't sell. They're simpler, longer lasting, get better mileage, and are easier/less expensive to fix when/if they do go bad. Again, it's a shame. I don't own an automatic trans in my fleet...
2019 Honda CRV (camping support vehicle)
2014 Harley Davidson FLHX (XLR cargo)
2011 Ram 2500 CC 4X4 CTD, B&W Companion (toy hauler hauler)
Taranwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-14-2014, 04:20 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaskCampers View Post
Stick in a sporty car sure, in my drag car.. na I will keep my built C6 with 5000 stall converter, in my truck..no thanks I will take the manual mode capable 6 speed any day over a stick. Sure I am getting lazy but with hill start assist to prevent roll backs starting out on hills and decent control to come down crazy grades, why would I want a stick anymore and oh ya cruise does work so much better on my auto box.
I agree with my provincial compatriot.

Sports car manual = fun
Not sports car manual = inconvenient and unnecessary

2011 F150 SuperCrew 5.0 4x4
2012 Flagstaff 27BESS
pappcam is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-14-2014, 04:34 PM   #24

We have this discussion and problem at work all the time. Half the trucks are manual and the other half auto. People take the overtime on a job and then say I can't drive that it's not an automatic. We laugh and send them home with their heads hung low. It's sad that truck drivers can't drive a manual transmission dump truck or log truck.
JonClark is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-14-2014, 04:45 PM   #25

If you want a manual, that's fine, buy whatever you want. If that's what you want. My issue is that because there are SO many people out there who don't want a manual, the choice is being taken away from those of us that do. If a manual was ALL that was available (like it was way back in the day,) then I'm pretty sure you'd learn how to drive one. But because autos are out there, and they're just so much easier to drive, and they require less thought and physical coordination to use, the manuals are being phased out. It's just TOO HARD to shift, apparently.

If you don't like my explanation, then why don't you venture a reason as to why no one seems to want to buy/drive them anymore?
Old 07-14-2014, 05:07 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taranwanderer View Post
If you want a manual, that's fine, buy whatever you want. If that's what you want. My issue is that because there are SO many people out there who don't want a manual, the choice is being taken away from those of us that do. If a manual was ALL that was available (like it was way back in the day,) then I'm pretty sure you'd learn how to drive one. But because autos are out there, and they're just so much easier to drive, and they require less thought and physical coordination to use, the manuals are being phased out. It's just TOO HARD to shift, apparently.

If you don't like my explanation, then why don't you venture a reason as to why no one seems to want to buy/drive them anymore?
They're easier to drive and that's all the reason needed. That doesn't make people lazy or stupid. Why would someone want to do a completely unnecessary task if there was a very common and easy way out of doing the task? I guess you could get some weird pleasure out of constantly doing this unnecessary task as some sort of victory over laziness but I see no point to it.

Again, I'm only talking about daily driver type vehicles and not about sports cars or big trucks.

2011 F150 SuperCrew 5.0 4x4
2012 Flagstaff 27BESS
pappcam is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-14-2014, 05:24 PM   #27

I was taught on a 'three on the tree' Ford Galaxie 500. I cut the shifter off the column with a hack saw and cut a 6" square hole in the floor to install my Hurst shifter, white cue ball and all. My three kids each learned to drive the 'Cheap Jeep', a '98 Cherokee with a 4.0L and a 5 spd stick. I put them on some of the steepest hills I could find and repeated the drill over and over until they didn't roll one foot backwards. I believe the kids wanted to kill me but as of this day are thankful for the lessons learned. They'll brag the fact that their friends never learned to drive a stick and how they can. Funny how my daughter puts her machisimo guy friends in their place.
1986 Marriage to "Wifey" (patience of a saint)
rattleNsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-14-2014, 06:07 PM   #28

Given the nature of modern automatics, to prefer a standard shift is sometimes an affectation or a case of the cult of the archaic ( as Paul Fussell put it).

I think what I call "tool envy" is sometimes involved: many modern men have sedentary jobs and an unfulfilled need to use tools that do a physical job, to feel an uncommon sense of physical control over machinery. Shifting gears, even though they don't need shifting, can fill this need.

My last vehicle with a standard was a totally stripped 2006 F-150. I was looking for a simple, austere work truck and it was the cheapest truck on the lot. And that, to save a few bucks, was, IME, usually the reason a person bought a standard shift.
irishtom29 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-14-2014, 09:05 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by pappcam View Post
They're easier to drive and that's all the reason needed. That doesn't make people lazy or stupid. Why would someone want to do a completely unnecessary task if there was a very common and easy way out of doing the task? I guess you could get some weird pleasure out of constantly doing this unnecessary task as some sort of victory over laziness but I see no point to it.

Again, I'm only talking about daily driver type vehicles and not about sports cars or big trucks.
Easier to drive, yes. Better for towing heavy loads, no. Why would you buy the truck that is less capable because you don't want a 3rd pedal to deal with? And I know, before all you guys with autos jump in here and tell me how far autos have come in the towing department, yes they have--but if autos were so great at towing and dealing with heavier loads and more stress in the first place, then why are dump trucks, concrete trucks, and most big rigs still manuals? I'll let you all answer that question on your own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishtom29 View Post
Given the nature of modern automatics, to prefer a standard shift is sometimes an affectation or a case of the cult of the archaic ( as Paul Fussell put it).

I think what I call "tool envy" is sometimes involved: many modern men have sedentary jobs and an unfulfilled need to use tools that do a physical job, to feel an uncommon sense of physical control over machinery. Shifting gears, even though they don't need shifting, can fill this need.
Congratulations, this post wins the award for the "post most adding nothing constructive to this thread."

I prefer standard shifts for several reasons, and none of them have to do with an archaic sense of tool envy. The 6 speed in my truck does a better job of dealing with the forces of towing, accelerating, and engine braking than an auto does, no question. Not to mention its more bulletproof than most autos out there. The 6 speed in my VW is way more fun to drive than the auto or DSG equivalent (and I test drove both, the DSG even with paddle shifters,) and it gets better mileage. And the 6 speed in my Harley is a pure torque-distributing pleasure to shift. If they ever come out with an automatic transmission motorcycle, I'd say we've had it as a species.

So you can take your theory and place it in the appropriate file.
Old 07-14-2014, 09:25 PM   #30
Oklahoma Proud

Really guys???
This is all about preference, obviously there are arguments that can go both ways on reliability, handling etc.
The fact is manuals are going the same route as bias ply tires, carburetors, and dumb phones! They are out there, but getting harder to find and might not be all they use to be cracked up to be compared to newer technological advances.
Just sayin.
I own both and couldn't care less which way it goes.
MillerTime is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-15-2014, 07:38 AM   #31
Moderator Emeritus

Let's take it easy here. We have different ideas on what is best, but this thread is not be be taken as argumentative, and differently keep the flame throwing out of the mix, or this thread will be closed with some possible warnings issued.

I am also going to flag the thread as a "hot topic".

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-15-2014, 07:46 AM   #32
Jack of All Trades

Wow. I'm beside myself.

My personal opinion and not to be construed as pushing my own beliefs on anyone is.......heat kills parts. Manuals don't create heat...caveated with a good clutch that doesn't slip. Auto's create heat. They will eventually fail. With that being said...I now own an auto in a 1-ton truck and tow over #28,000 gross on occasion. Driving to work bobtail....I love the auto. Towing a trailer....I'm on the fence. Exhaust brake or not, there is never as much control over speed as there is with a manual. Fluid coupling makes heat. Heat makes broke parts.

I'm 4x4Dually and I approve this message.
4x4dually is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-15-2014, 08:11 AM   #33
Site Team

My last vacation- just 3 weeks ago- we spent 4 hours traveling less than
140 miles on the interstate. That's average speed of 35.
Many, many times it was stop and go with lots of stop.
We crept along at less than 10 MPH over and over.
The entire day was over 8 hours grueling hours on the road.
I am very glad I didn't have a stick shift.

I know how to drive a stick. I used to drive a 10 ton IH loadstar with a gear
jamming NON-syncronized tranny that had to be double clutched to
shift without grinding. It also had a 2 speed rear end.
I can do it.
I choose not to.
It also had manual steering and I had a city delivery route.
I'll take my power steering thank you very much.

Stick shifts only give better mileage IF YOU SHIFT EARLY.
Check the mpg ratings on cars or trucks with auto or stick option.
It's often better with the auto tranny.

Please don't call me lazy.
2016 Evergreen Everlite 242RBS
29' empty nest model. Blue Ox WD hitch
(1 queen bed, large main cabin and huge bathroom)
Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41, 2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-44, 2017-63, 2018-75, 2019-32, 2020-41, 2021-49, 2022-43, 2023-66
KyDan is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-15-2014, 08:17 AM   #34
Jack of All Trades

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyDan View Post
Check the mpg ratings on cars or trucks with auto or stick option. It's often better with the auto tranny.
Under the same exact conditions, I would disagree; however, since the average consumer doesn't shift at the optimal RPM in a manual most of the time, I would agree with your statement since the auto is programmed to do it as efficiently as possible. It still has more internal loss due to heat, friction, and torque conversion.

Now.....if you were to give me a 2-speed rear end for my Dodge and I could split shift it.....you dang skippy I'd have a manual again.
4x4dually is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-15-2014, 08:29 AM   #35
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

As someone who's family owns over 400 concrete trucks, most, if not all, of which are automatics at this point, I'll take the autos over the manuals.
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-15-2014, 10:21 AM   #36
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by transamz9 View Post
With enough power at speed you don't have to worry about all the shifting.
That would work if you were pulling a lower percentage of the total vehicle capacity and the hills aren't too challenging. I'd guess that most people are pulling a substantial portion of their rated capacity.
1969 John Deere 1020, 1940 Ford 9N, 1948 Ford 8N
Jonsered 535, Can of WD-40, Duct Tape
Red Green coffee mugs
acadianbob is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-15-2014, 10:42 AM   #37

years ago I had a 12v 47RE, when I did the trans to hold BIG POWER in went a manual VB and a B&M click shifter, with a lock up switch. this thing was a hand full to drive fast. but was kind of fun banging gears..

06 LBZ ,CC 4x
lots of mods
Superglide
jevanb is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-15-2014, 10:50 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taranwanderer View Post
I prefer standard shifts for several reasons, and none of them have to do with an archaic sense of tool envy. The 6 speed in my truck does a better job of dealing with the forces of towing, accelerating, and engine braking than an auto does, no question. Not to mention its more bulletproof than most autos out there. The 6 speed in my VW is way more fun to drive than the auto or DSG equivalent (and I test drove both, the DSG even with paddle shifters,) and it gets better mileage. And the 6 speed in my Harley is a pure torque-distributing pleasure to shift. If they ever come out with an automatic transmission motorcycle, I'd say we've had it as a species.
Honda had an automatic in the 70's.....and our species somehow survived.

The Honda CB750A Hondamatic - Classic Japanese Motorcycles - Motorcycle Classics
1986 Marriage to "Wifey" (patience of a saint)
rattleNsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-15-2014, 01:13 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by rattleNsmoke View Post
Honda had an automatic in the 70's.....and our species somehow survived.
Moto Guzzi also had an automatic in late 1970s.
irishtom29 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-16-2014, 05:05 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by acadianbob View Post
That would work if you were pulling a lower percentage of the total vehicle capacity and the hills aren't too challenging. I'd guess that most people are pulling a substantial portion of their rated capacity.
I'm over my trailer towing rating and have no problems with my trucks needed to do a lot of shifting. They have the power where it's needed for towing.
2006 EZ GO 6" lift
transamz9 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Tags
manual