Old 06-19-2016, 09:42 AM   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonTDI View Post
Follow the instructions of the supplier. They have likely tested it throughly. Not bypassing could cause a drop in pressure and cause flow issues of the atf but I have not seen your set up. That would be worse than just the stock cooler.

The cooler manufacturer had two suggestions and they stated that not bypassing was optimal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 06-19-2016, 10:00 AM   #82
2007 WildCat 32QBBS

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpep View Post
The cooler manufacturer had two suggestions and they stated that not bypassing was optimal.

You're fine. Running the hot ATF through the stock cooler then through the added cooler and then returning to the Trans is most effecient. The stock cooler will take care of a lot of the heat while the aux. one will bring it down some more.

05CrewDually is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 10:04 AM   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05CrewDually View Post
You're fine. Running the hot ATF through the stock cooler then through the added cooler and then returning to the Trans is most effecient. The stock cooler will take care of a lot of the heat while the aux. one will bring it down some more.
there is so much debating about this all over the internet and when I read the instructions I thought, why all the debating ? It makes sense and its instructing you to do it this way. Many people use theory or assumption and these companies , especially big named ones test these theories. I happen to work in the QA world for 12 years and we text , test and test some more. Product development is all testing as well so I feel pretty good about following the instructions.
Old 06-19-2016, 10:11 AM   #84

I want to add that looking for the return from teh radiator is not as easy as it seems. I tried teh put in drive and feel for warmer of the 2 lines and they both seemed warmed so then I did it the second recommended way and boy what a mess. I disconnected what I thought was return, asked my daughter to observe and let me know where the fluid comes out of , went into the van and placed it in drive , she screamed ok. I walked out, asked are you sure she said " oh yea". I looked and it was all over. I have a nice big stain on my driveway now. Oh well, live and learn.
Old 06-19-2016, 10:12 AM   #85
2007 WildCat 32QBBS

One other thing I didn't mention. The other benefit is it gets the ATF warmed up quicker too.
Old 06-19-2016, 10:14 AM   #86

Quote:
I just installed a trans cooler this evening and tomorrow I install the Gage. I am planing on placing it into the test port and I read that its not an optimal spot and some say its good enough, the manufacture of the temp Gage states to use the test port so i'm not sure. I have also read a few posts where people stated that they duct tape the probe to the trans output line and as close as possible and it works well for them. Still not sure what my approach i will be tomorrow but I think i will be going with the test port on the side of the trans. Another thing I did that I read a lot of disagreements on is I did not bypass the original trans cooler on the factory radiator. The cooler installation manual also called this the optimal way to cool and it makes sense to me. What do you all think ?
I think if it were my truck I'd skip the sensor install and buy a scangauge tool for the same price as a single transmission temp gauge I can get the temp reading through the PCM which will be more accurate, and prevent any chance of a false reading or leak from the temp sender install. Not to mention be significantly less work to install.
Old 06-19-2016, 10:15 AM   #87
2007 WildCat 32QBBS

Quote:
I want to add that looking for the return from teh radiator is not as easy as it seems. I tried teh put in drive and feel for warmer of the 2 lines and they both seemed warmed so then I did it the second recommended way and boy what a mess. I disconnected what I thought was return, asked my daughter to observe and let me know where the fluid comes out of , went into the van and placed it in drive , she screamed ok. I walked out, asked are you sure she said " oh yea". I looked and it was all over. I have a nice big stain on my driveway now. Oh well, live and learn.
Usually for the return line on the transmission, it's the rear most line (Ford) or if the fittings are vertical it's the lower line. Which was it in your GM?
Old 06-19-2016, 10:36 AM   #88

There were 2 lines on the same side , upper and lower on the passenger side and it was the lower.

Old 06-19-2016, 10:48 AM   #89
2007 WildCat 32QBBS

Quote:
There were 2 lines on the same side , upper and lower on the passenger side and it was the lower.

Yup that's the norm. That's what I meant by vertical, the 2 ports are an upper and a lower. It's been like that forever now and I'm just waiting for the day that some engineer gets a better idea.
Old 06-19-2016, 11:00 AM   #90

I wish I knew that yesterday before I made a mess looking for the line, lol

Tags
transmission temperature