Old 06-23-2016, 09:36 PM   #1

Max PSI towing

New 2016 Sierra 6.2L 4X4 with max tow pkg. Goodyear P275/55R20's rated at 44 PSI Max. Towing TT dry at 5800 Lbs loaded between 6500 - 7000lbs. Heading cross country to the PNW in mid August. would like to hear perspectives on PSI. in my previous Yukon Denali i would go to 40PSI cold all around for towing. Thinking that would be sufficient to firm up the sidewalls on my Sierra as well. Last week in 90-100 degree temps, my cold 40 psi fill went up to 43 psi when running. Some have suggested i go 44 MAX on rears and 36 on fronts. Whats the experienced views on this forum?

Old 06-23-2016, 09:40 PM   #2

Your truck tires are designed to carry max load at a specific psi which can be found on the sidewall of the tire. there may be 2 figures there one for dual and one single. I would follow what the tire says

2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 01:06 AM   #3

When towing yes at only 44 psi max out the tires front and rear it's not going to hurt anything.
2014 Honda Pioneer 700-4
2004 Yamaha Grizzly 660
wyo700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 03:18 PM   #4

Usually the max load is at max PSI. Just run them all at max PSI cold and be done with it.
Old 06-24-2016, 03:23 PM   #5

I would swap out the passenger tires for a set of truck tires.

2016 Sabre 36QBOK
2015 Ram 3500 CUMMINS
Old 06-24-2016, 04:12 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDog View Post
Your truck tires are designed to carry max load at a specific psi which can be found on the sidewall of the tire. there may be 2 figures there one for dual and one single. I would follow what the tire says
That's not true for trucks with original equipment Passenger tires. The vehicle manufacturer was required to de-rate them. Take the maximum load capacity molded into the "P" tires sidewall and divide it by 1.1, the result is than the maximum load capacity for service on your truck.
Airdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 04:17 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinto View Post
New 2016 Sierra 6.2L 4X4 with max tow pkg. Goodyear P275/55R20's rated at 44 PSI Max. Towing TT dry at 5800 Lbs loaded between 6500 - 7000lbs. Heading cross country to the PNW in mid August. would like to hear perspectives on PSI. in my previous Yukon Denali i would go to 40PSI cold all around for towing. Thinking that would be sufficient to firm up the sidewalls on my Sierra as well. Last week in 90-100 degree temps, my cold 40 psi fill went up to 43 psi when running. Some have suggested i go 44 MAX on rears and 36 on fronts. Whats the experienced views on this forum?

Normally the inflation pressures found on the tire placard (certification label) are appropriate all the way to the vehicle's GVWR. If they are not, the vehicle owner's manual will have the recommended pressures for towing conditions.
Old 06-25-2016, 12:29 AM   #8

I tow a Shamrock 21DK hybrid with a 2005 Dodge Durango. I swapped out the Durango OEM P tires for LTs. When not towing and with the truck tires inflated as listed on the door frame for P tires, there is little difference in handling.

If inflated to full capacity as was done as a "courtesy" at a local dealer the LTs are like rocks and handling is terrible when under tow. I deflated them down to 50 front/60 rear with significant improvement.

The tire manufacturer (Michelin) publishes an inflation guide with recommended pressures for given payloads. For the load ranges I generally carry when towing, their recommendations are far less than the capacity printed on the tire.

Consider getting LT tires and following the tire manufacturer's pressure recommendations for the specific load you're carrying.
- 1999 Chevrolet Astro
- 2005 Dodge Durango Limited 4x2 5L V8 Hemi

- 2016 Ford F-150 SCrew Lariat 4x2 3.5L V6 Ecoboost
chriscowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 08:46 AM   #9

Some tire manufacturers have web pages in PDF format on the internet explaining the correct procedures for setting recommended tire pressures for replacements. Toyo and Firestone are the best ones. Both follow industry standards, as do all others.

The lead-off in such instructions are very much the same. Tire manufacturers DO NOT set tire pressures for vehicles that were built under FMFSS regulations, the vehicle manufacturers do. The vehicle manufacturer sets the standard for a vehicle with the Original Equipment (OE) tires. Here is a short version of how it works when changing designs from Passenger (P) to Light Truck (LT) tires.

The new tires must be capable of providing the load capacity the OE tires provided. When changing from P to LT tires one must understand that the vehicle manufacturer was required by FMVSS regulation to de-rate the P tires on any truck. So, when you use the load & inflation chart for the P tires to determine what the load capacity is set at, via the vehicle manufactures recommended pressures, you must divide the number by 1.1 to get the actual and official load capacity provided. Then you can take that value to the load & inflation chart for the LT tires.

Once the new recommended inflation pressures are determined using that procedure an auxiliary tire placard is allowed by NHTSA. It can be hand made and placed adjacent to the original tire placard. A notation should also be made in the vehicle owner’s manual.

Two very important tire industry standards to remember. 1. Always use replacement tires that provide load capacities equal to or greater than the OE tires. 2. Never use less inflation pressures than what has been recommended by the vehicle manufacturer or such pressures as amended by “Plus Sizing”.

It is wise to remember there are no provisions in FMVSS to inflate tires to the “load carried”. That procedure comes from the trucking industry where there are no rules for recommended inflation pressures.

All tires normally degrade. A tire that has degraded , say 5%, inflated to the load carried is automatically going to be overloaded. A tire loses 1.6% of its load capacity capabilities with every 1 PSI loss of recommended inflation pressure (RMA).
Old 06-25-2016, 03:24 PM   #10
Canadian Member

For "P" passenger tires, always go with the max. pressure noted on the sidewalls. I agree with Kenny Kustom that an upgrade to "LT" light truck tires would be beneficial.

2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)
2009 Ford F-150 XLT SuperCrew, 5.4L, 4x4, 5'6" bed (2012 - 2016)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
towing