Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-06-2015, 12:28 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Vibe View Post
6500 lbs is almost 1000lbs heavier than the listed weight of the 2011 super crew ecoboost what was in the truck when you weighd it
I am wondering that too.

The thing I keep going back to is the scale saying your truck is 6500#s, the curb weight (Also called wet weight, curb weight is the weight of a fully fueled vehicle, with all fluids, and no passengers or cargo on board) of your truck is roughly 5200#s to 5500#s, depending on 4x4 and tank size. I cant seem to grasp why you are weighing in at almost 1000#s more than that, did you have passengers or cargo in the truck?

The GCWR is 7200#, you said that the weight of the truck was 6500 at the scales, that leaves 700#.

The hitch weight was 1000 of the TH, the hitch weight will not go up by my much due to where the axles are located on the TH, THs are made with the axles over the cargo area to hold the weight of the toy you are hauling in it and in doing this it keeps the tongue relatively the same if it is loaded appropriately.

My opinion is, look at what was in your truck when you weighed it, determine if you can take stuff out that is not needed when towing and camping, the weight saved by this may put you within the limits. Get LT tires. Load the trailer the best you can to attempt to lessen the tongue weight. Hook up and go, carefully at first to make sure it feels right.

Nights Camped (2018-16) (2017-16) (2016-13) (2015-13)
SuicideSaints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 12:37 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Home on the Range View Post
Thanks everyone, I appreciate your input. Seems like one question leads to another.
I have thought about replacing the original 3500 lb tandem axles with new 5000 lbs axles.
My thought being, that I currently have a toy hauler max GVWR of 8011 lbs. and with a trailer dry weight of 5800 lbs, I only have 2,200 lbs of cargo capacity.
My 2 seat RZR side by side weighs 1,100 lbs and with full 105 gallon water tank and full 30 gallon fuel station I'm about right at the cargo capacity and I don't even have any bacon or eggs in the refrigerator.

If I went with new 5,000 pound axles, I'd get 12" brakes vs the current 10",
heavier leaf springs and axle bearings and could use higher rated 16"" tires with 6 bolt wheels vs the current LT 15" tires and 5 bolt wheels.
My question though, would the tandem 5,000 lb axles boost my trailer max GVWR to 10,000 lbs??
Or would perhaps the trailer frame not be able to handle the additional 2,000 lbs? This might be an engineering question.
This same topic has come up a few times, the consensus is split. Some say yes and the others say no. my thinking is that in theory yes you should be able to haul more cargo but at the same time there are unanswered questions on how much the frame, floor, and walls will handle that extra weight.

What most people do, is either run overloaded or they do not fill full of water, they only carry what is needed for water until they get where they are going or at least the last spot to fill before they get to the final destination. I used to do this with my old set up. I brought 5 gallons of water for the drive and then I filled up with water at the closest point to me destination. I have even went to the camping spot, dropped off cargo then went and filled and came back to the camping spot. Is it kind of annoying at times, yes, but sometimes you have to do what you have to do to make it work.

I think in your case you are still limited by the TV, if you determined you are already on the line for weight limits adding heavier axles to be able to haul more weight will only perpetuate that problem.

These are just my opinions and thoughts, do not take them personally.

Nights Camped (2018-16) (2017-16) (2016-13) (2015-13)
SuicideSaints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 12:40 PM   #23
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Home on the Range View Post
Thanks everyone, I appreciate your input. Seems like one question leads to another.
I have thought about replacing the original 3500 lb tandem axles with new 5000 lbs axles.
My thought being, that I currently have a toy hauler max GVWR of 8011 lbs. and with a trailer dry weight of 5800 lbs, I only have 2,200 lbs of cargo capacity.
My 2 seat RZR side by side weighs 1,100 lbs and with full 105 gallon water tank and full 30 gallon fuel station I'm about right at the cargo capacity and I don't even have any bacon or eggs in the refrigerator.

If I went with new 5,000 pound axles, I'd get 12" brakes vs the current 10",
heavier leaf springs and axle bearings and could use higher rated 16"" tires with 6 bolt wheels vs the current LT 15" tires and 5 bolt wheels.
My question though, would the tandem 5,000 lb axles boost my trailer max GVWR to 10,000 lbs??
Or would perhaps the trailer frame not be able to handle the additional 2,000 lbs? This might be an engineering question.
THIS IS A SLIPPERY SLOPE!
The frame of the camper with current axles is engineered to be @ the calculated weight.
You up the axle lbs but that does raise your cargo Carrying capacity of the trailer.
It's still the same!
Axles can carry more "weight" but the frame and camper cannot.
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 01:15 PM   #24

Thanks again everyone.
I'm going sign off for now.
Appreciate the replies.
Home on the Range is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
3500, 500, axle, weight