Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-10-2012, 08:47 AM   #31
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 1,365
Thanks everyone for the information! Is it true that short drives are bad for diesels, or is it an old wives tail? I only drive 6 miles to work and I read that you can end up with diluted oil. They were saying on shorts trips the engine won't get hot enough to burn off the fuel wash.
__________________

__________________
Len & Cheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 08:50 AM   #32
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Washington DC
Posts: 332
Its not that its bad, but diesels were meant to work under stress so if you buy one just to have it....then i would say yes but if you buy it and use it to tow then no. I drive about 15 miles to work in mine and never had a problem with either my current or my 07 DMax
__________________

__________________
2012 Ford F-350 6.7L CC SRW w/FX4
2013 Forest River Sierra 365SAQ
Beausdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 11:29 AM   #33
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 206
Quote:
Originally Posted by Len & Cheri View Post
Thanks everyone for the information! Is it true that short drives are bad for diesels, or is it an old wives tail? I only drive 6 miles to work and I read that you can end up with diluted oil. They were saying on shorts trips the engine won't get hot enough to burn off the fuel wash.
I have a similar commute (I work from home, but take the kids to school/daycare). The only problem is when the truck goes into regen (injects fuel after the combusion stroke to heat up the DEF and burn off the soot - read up on it) on your way home. It is bad to shut it off when it is in regen because it doesn't finish, then will go into regen the next time you drive, etc. It can get into an endless loop, and this is what dilutes the oil. If mine goes into regen on the way home, I will just take a little drive (10 mins out and 10 mins back) to let it finish. Mine regens about once per tank. I was really concerned about this before I bought my truck, but it has really turned out to be a non-issue. Since you are presumably buying it to tow, the occasional tow will allow it to work enough to "burn the cobwebs" out of it.

Again, you definitely want to follow the "severe service" intervals for oil changes just to be on the safe side. With a 6 mile commute, unless you do a lot of other driving, you'll be bumping up on the 6 month interval before the 5k mile interval.
__________________
2012 Flagstaff 8528 BHSS
2008 Ford F250 Crew Cab 4x4 6.4L Power Stroke

fordmantpw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 12:46 PM   #34
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 1,365
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beausdog View Post
Its not that its bad, but diesels were meant to work under stress so if you buy one just to have it....then i would say yes but if you buy it and use it to tow then no. I drive about 15 miles to work in mine and never had a problem with either my current or my 07 DMax
It's sorta both, I want one to satisfy my wants and I could use it for towing . I'm real close on on 990 tongue weight (and sometimes over). I figured I could get a low mileage F250 and have $350 a month payments VS a new Ecoboost late next year and have payments of about $600. The savings is there if I do get an F250, plus I could actually carry some fresh water in my TT tanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordmantpw View Post
I have a similar commute (I work from home, but take the kids to school/daycare). The only problem is when the truck goes into regen (injects fuel after the combusion stroke to heat up the DEF and burn off the soot - read up on it) on your way home. It is bad to shut it off when it is in regen because it doesn't finish, then will go into regen the next time you drive, etc. It can get into an endless loop, and this is what dilutes the oil. If mine goes into regen on the way home, I will just take a little drive (10 mins out and 10 mins back) to let it finish. Mine regens about once per tank. I was really concerned about this before I bought my truck, but it has really turned out to be a non-issue. Since you are presumably buying it to tow, the occasional tow will allow it to work enough to "burn the cobwebs" out of it.

Again, you definitely want to follow the "severe service" intervals for oil changes just to be on the safe side. With a 6 mile commute, unless you do a lot of other driving, you'll be bumping up on the 6 month interval before the 5k mile interval.
The regen was another issue that bothers me. I could put up with it until the warrantry runs out and do a DPF delete with a small tune. That's supposed to really wake up the 6.4 and does away with the regen.

Decisions! Decisions!
__________________
Len & Cheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 01:50 PM   #35
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 233
Listen to your father in law!
__________________
Wumba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 02:02 PM   #36
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 206
Quote:
Originally Posted by Len & Cheri View Post
The regen was another issue that bothers me. I could put up with it until the warrantry runs out and do a DPF delete with a small tune. That's supposed to really wake up the 6.4 and does away with the regen.

Decisions! Decisions!
You know, I've contemplated that as well. The thing that bothers me is that I get good fuel economy until regen kicks in, then it goes to heck! But, for the amount of fuel it takes to regen (.5 ish gallon / tank), it would take a long time to make back the cost of the DPF delete and tuner. But yes, I've heard from quite a few people that eliminating the DPF really wakes up the 6.4. I've got almost 3 years of warranty left on mine (I bought extended to 7 years, 60k for $1100 when I bought my truck), so it will be a while before (if) I find out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wumba View Post
Listen to your father in law!
Says the person with no argument to back up the statement...
__________________
2012 Flagstaff 8528 BHSS
2008 Ford F250 Crew Cab 4x4 6.4L Power Stroke

fordmantpw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 02:18 PM   #37
Senior Member
 
ironj's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 1,368
My drive to work is about 8 miles one way....then on the weekend i will put 25-30 miles driving around....usually tow or haul something once a month....regens always seem to start when im pulling into driveway....lol..i just shut truck off and do my thing....

I am using a dpf/egr ON tune (all stock exhaust) and i only get one regen every 13days or so.

The truck will give you a wrning if the dpf needs to be cleaned.... instead of the quick 5 second message you will get the "DRIVE TO CLEAN' message constant...(tho i have never seen it in my truck')..

These new diesels are smart.....not like grandpas old tractor.....tho i do recommend for anyone considering one to do their part and research the whys and hows of these new complex exhaust systems mandated by the epa....

Normally i would just rip it out and run my truck 'old school natural'....but i for one appreciate and enjoy the quiet,and clean aspect of my new truck.....

Down the road if there are issues i will take it off and run a diff tune.....easy peasy...
__________________
2015 F350 Platinum Fx4 6.7 Diesel Dually. B&W turnover, B&W Companion, air bags and wireless controller.
2015 Heartland Road Warrior 420 Rt
2012 f250 Fx4 6.7 Diesel crew cab tinted n tuned
2012 lacrosse 318bhs touring- sold
ironj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 07:50 PM   #38
Senior Member
 
TTNewbees's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 440
Guys, thanks for the help and suggestions. Guess you answered my ???'s


Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2301919850.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	45.8 KB
ID:	16505
__________________
Mike
2012 Lacrosse 303RK
2012 F250 6.7 diesel
TTNewbees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 07:51 PM   #39
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Washington DC
Posts: 332
Quote:
Originally Posted by TTNewbees
Guys, thanks for the help and suggestions. Guess you answered my ???'s
Nice!!!! She looks SEXY!!
__________________
2012 Ford F-350 6.7L CC SRW w/FX4
2013 Forest River Sierra 365SAQ
Beausdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 07:56 PM   #40
Senior Member
 
BOBFIDY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Broken Arrow, OK
Posts: 1,110
Quote:
Originally Posted by TTNewbees View Post
Guys, thanks for the help and suggestions. Guess you answered my ???'s


Attachment 16505
Good looking truck.....Now just add it to your signature line.

We love our F350.
__________________

__________________
2011 FORD F350 CREW CAB DUALLY DIESEL 4x2
2010 Salem LA 292FKDS
One of the Original 14 F.R.O.G.s
1st, 2nd, and 3rd INTERNATIONAL F.R.O.G. RALLY Branson. MO.
1st, 2nd, and 4th INTERNATIONAL RALLY Goshen, IN.
BOBFIDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:27 AM.