Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-02-2012, 06:43 AM   #61

Also, thanks to everyone for bed liner and cover suggestions. After much research and deliberations I went with:

Line-X premium. I like the hardness and shine of this product.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-685567934.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	47.9 KB
ID:	17415

For a cover, I really wanted a ball bearing roller type cover such as retrax pro but ultimately went with the truxedo lo pro QT. With the rolling covers I couldn't get my ATV in the bed as they take up too much space.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4124771776.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	46.6 KB
ID:	17416
TTNewbees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 07:50 AM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTNewbees View Post
Not sure if this is appropriate section, but being a first time diesel owner I have a question regarding cetane booster for ford owners.

The dealer handed me a bottle of motor craft cetane booster and instructed to put 4oz per fill-up.

My question to you ford owners is what do you use? Do you buy it from ford dealers? Is their an alternative product or alternative place to purchase this?

Thanks in advance.
I've read that a lot of Ford diesel owners like the Ford booster. I guess it's pretty cheap, but I haven't tried it yet. Walmart sells a product called Diesel Clean. There are 2 types; a grey bottle thats supposed to boost power and MPG, and a white bottle that prevents gelling in the winter. I got the 2 backwards and bought the white bottle. I'm going to put that bottle away until winter and get the grey bottle for summer usage. I can't say how they work since I treated my last tank and haven't refueled yet. Here are the 2 bottles types:

cetane - Walmart.com
Len & Cheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 07:52 AM   #63

Quote:
Also, thanks to everyone for bed liner and cover suggestions. After much research and deliberations I went with:

Line-X premium. I like the hardness and shine of this product.

Attachment 17415

For a cover, I really wanted a ball bearing roller type cover such as retrax pro but ultimately went with the truxedo lo pro QT. With the rolling covers I couldn't get my ATV in the bed as they take up too much space.

Attachment 17416
I like that Line-X. I would get that sprayed in my truck, but it came with the bed insert. Maybe later I'll remove the insert and get it sprayed.
Len & Cheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 08:22 AM   #64

Quote:
Not sure if this is appropriate section, but being a first time diesel owner I have a question regarding cetane booster for ford owners.

The dealer handed me a bottle of motor craft cetane booster and instructed to put 4oz per fill-up.

My question to you ford owners is what do you use? Do you buy it from ford dealers? Is their an alternative product or alternative place to purchase this?

Thanks in advance.
I use Diesel Kleen (the grey bottle Len & Cheri mentioned) in my '08. I use it about every other or every third tank just to make sure things are cleaned and lubed. I haven't noticed any difference in MPG using it, but the truck does seem a tad bit quieter in the winter when I use it.

fordmantpw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 08:43 AM   #65

Ive used both fords cetane boost and diesel kleen. I use them about the same as others maybe every third tank. Fords isn't expensive and it's concentrated as well as diesel kleen. Just make sure you use it regularly in cold climates. This is where you will notice the improvement.
Old 08-02-2012, 08:56 AM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTNewbees

Thanks in advance.
You will find a lot of debate on weather cetane (the diesel equivalent of octane) boost is necessary. If you frequent any fOrd diesel forums, you will see it is a hot topic everywhere. The facts are
1. Ever since diesel requirements mandate lower sulphur there has been a big decline in lubricity available from diesel alone.

2. The Bosch pump in our Ford's was built to function within the European cetane values , which are a bit higher than those on average found in the u.s.

3. There have been some reports of fuel pump failure and the dealers have in many cases ruled that the cause was poor lubrication to the high pressure pump. (Note , this is not necessarily ford specific , but some are claiming issues with ford fixing them under warranty.)

4. The only 'approved' cetane additive right now for ford is the motorcraft brand.

Now with that said, I do in fact add 4oz of the ford stuff to every tank (7$ treats 125gallons or about 5 full tanks of diesel)....I have a GREAT relationship with my ford dealer and service dept. They know I run a slight tune and have always fixed my vehicles for warranty issues not BLATANTLY caused by my modifications or stupidity including my WAY modded 03 cobra....but I try and be smart about what's do and don't do...

Fwiw, my dealer has yet to see a truck with a hpfp issue caused by poor fuel lubricity.....for that matter, they tell me for the most part the only real issues they have seen with new diesels is software related.....not of the engine/tranny

Basically all I'm trying to say is there is a potential for lubricity issues using the fuel generally available in the u.s....and if using 7$ worth of 'booster' can save me headache, potentially boost power, and has no potential to cause harm to my 60k + investment then why not....

I mean I have never had an issue with a power surge,let alone ever seen anyone have one......but I have a surge protector on my trailer?
2012 lacrosse 318bhs touring- sold
ironj is offline   Reply With Quote