Old 07-05-2012, 06:10 AM   #1
Might get a new TV

I am considering getting a new TV as we would like to get into a 5er in the next year or so. At this point I like the look, drive and feel of the F250 Lariat with 6.7 power stroke diesel. Of course, my wife spoke to her father and he is really against the ford purchase as he says the 6.7 powerstroke is junk and they have had an excessive amount of issue with this diesel. He also said that if I am getting a truck it should have an 8 ft bed if I plan to get a 5er.

My question is:

Those of you with trucks, have you heard any of these issues with the 6.7? Any pros or cons with ford truck vs Chevy or dodge?

Also, do you need an 8 ft bed if you plan to get a 5 er? I personally don't want an 8 ft bed.

Mind you the come from someone who has a dodge cummins. I have personally owned cars from all of big 3 and can't say any of them were bad. Last 2 have been GMC but I think the Sierra Denali' s look a little plain for me. I guess what I am saying is that I am not a big "brand" loyalty guy and I know some are loyal no matter what, so looking for factual experience on above. Thanks..

2012 Lacrosse 303RK
2012 F250 6.7 diesel
TTNewbees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 07:35 AM   #2
I can't answer the question about the 6.7L personally but, every mechanic I know said when I was looking for a used tow vehicle that the only good diesel Ford ever made was the 7.3 Powerstroke. So I ended up with 2003 F250 SD with the 7.3 PS. I have a Crew Cab and Short Bed. On my 5ver I have Sidewinder which moves the pivot point back about 20" which more then compensates for the short bed concerns. Plus with the Sidewinder it maneuvers better.

RickV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 10:41 AM   #3
I have the short bed (6.75') in my F250 and have had no issues. I do have the Sidewinder though. My father has the short bed in his F250, but he has a slider hitch. I think he has used the slider feature once in the 8 years he has had a fifth wheel. I would either get a slider or Sidewinder (Sidewinder is my preference).

As far as the 6.7L, it has been nearly flawless. There have been a few minor teething issues, but it has been out for 2+ years, and there have been almost no major issues. There are no widespread problems at all. As you can tell by my login name, I'm a Ford fan, and follow Ford very closely. There were quite a few issues with the 6.0L, much fewer with the 6.4L, and nearly none with the 6.7L. I follow several Ford forums closely, and the 6.7L forum is deserted...nobody posts about problems! Dealerships are reporting that the 6.7L's aren't coming in for anything but routine maintenance. My father has the 6.7L in his '11 F250 and he loves it! Tows better than his 6.0L and gets 1-2MPG better towing the same fiver. He also gets 2-3MPG better than I do, and we have similar fivers.

That being said, I think you would be safe with any of the "big-3" pickups. Test drive them all and buy the one you like best!

If you like the Ford, go for it!
2012 Flagstaff 8528 BHSS
2008 Ford F250 Crew Cab 4x4 6.4L Power Stroke

fordmantpw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 07:34 PM   #4
I have a '12 F350.....just a thought....if you are looking for a TV.....dont discount the 350......i was looking at a 250 but for a difference of 250 dollars i bought a one ton.....might want a bigger fifth when you buy...rather have too much truck then too little for what you want....mine is a SRW and im towing a 42 ft 365SAQ on my short bed with a slider which i havent used yet. I got the 11,500 gvwr truck to allow more weight as well. Just my. 02
2012 Ford F-350 6.7L CC SRW w/FX4
2013 Forest River Sierra 365SAQ
Beausdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 07:57 PM   #5
Well I'm going to be the black sheep here. I also have a '12 F350 DRW. I've had nothing but transmission problems. 6 trips to the dealer and no fix, they replaced injectors thinking that was the cause. I don't want to hijack your thread, so I won't go into the very lengthy issues mine has had. I am 99% sure I will not buy another simply because of their horrible customer service regarding these issues. Otherwise the engine is strong and the rest of the truck is nice, I just got screwed with a bad one. My next purchase will be a Cummins.
2016 Forester 3171DS Class C Motorhome
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport - Toad
1993 Mustang 5.0 Notch 5-speed
Chewie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 07:54 AM   #6
I just purchased a 2012 F350 SRW short bed Lariat to tow a 30' Rockwood TT. I had a 09' F150 and it was just too light of a truck. I did alot of research on on Dodges and Fords, diesel vs. gas and picked the Ford 6.7, I think both are very good trucks it was just personal preference. I have friend who is a Ford diesel mechanic and he had nothing but raves about the new 6.7 "scorpion" diesel from Ford. He has seen no major issues and he claims it is the best diesel motor Ford has put in it's super duty's. He advised me to leave it the way it is and don't add any tuners or deletes like alot of other diesel owners do. I have only around 500 miles on mine and have not towed with it yet but I can say it is a power house. It is quiet and very clean burning. I opted for the F350 over F250 because of very little price difference in the two. The only gripe I have so far is Ford's need the diesel exhaust fluid (urea) to meet emissions. That is not a big deal with me as I look at it as just another maintenance item and it is not that hard to find. As far as the long bed vs short I don't have any experience on but I do see alot of SB's with 5th wheels on them. If you get the short bed it only comes with a 26 gallon fuel tank, long bed's have 36 or 37 gallon tanks with them. Good luck.
pwrstroke2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 08:12 AM   #7
Missing Link
A good friend has am 08 f350 cc short box. He's got the tuner and exhaust so tons of power but no major issues. Pushing 60k miles and so far under warranty they replace both tear calipers and a sensor in the transmission. But like someone mentioned earlier he's not happy with the customer service of ford or it's dealer. And he tows a 5er with a slider no problem.
2014 Puma 30-DBSS
2014 Ram 2500 Mega Cab 6.4L
cyclepuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 08:19 AM   #8
For those experience customer service issues, I say to try another dealer. My experience has been nothing short of spectacular with all of my vehicles. I've had a few warranty issues on previous vehicles, and even an item fixed 5k after the warranty was up. It is really sad to see dealers give the manufacturer a bad name due to bad service.
2012 Flagstaff 8528 BHSS
2008 Ford F250 Crew Cab 4x4 6.4L Power Stroke

fordmantpw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 10:22 AM   #9
I swore i would never own a ford diesel......the 7.3 was the most solid to date, but even that one had some issues. In the end i wanted a new truck....truth is, all big three make decent trucks.....and each has its 'issues'... concensus across the board is that given all the epa crap necessary today complicating things, Ford has a winner with this new truck and engine combo.....

As a member on most ford diesel forums, i admitt there are people who have had issues... even some big ones.....the reality is, in the big picture, they are in the minority......most trucks thus far are issue free.... then again, if i dropped 60k on a newtruck and it was breaking, i would be online screaming to any one who would listen as well......because that would suck!.

In the end, it seems your just as likely to get a new vehicle with issues from gm or dodge, as you are ford.

I say drive em all and pick what ya like.... i LOVE my 489hp , 898rw tq, asphalt spitting, 20+ mpg hwy , 8000lb monster!.....mine is not a work truck......its a luxury tow beast.......i have an 88 custom gmc shortwide for a 'work' truck....(ie one i toss junk in back and not worry about)....

I will say good friend who is an executive for halliburton, just recently leased 290 f250/350s

I asked if ford was giving him kickbacks or what....he said naw, its just outta the new rigs, these new fords break less, and hold up better to the yahoos who are driving them like they stole

Good luck, hope u love whatever you finally buy as much as i car smell....
2015 F350 Platinum Fx4 6.7 Diesel Dually. B&W turnover, B&W Companion, air bags and wireless controller.
2015 Heartland Road Warrior 420 Rt
2012 f250 Fx4 6.7 Diesel crew cab tinted n tuned
2012 lacrosse 318bhs touring- sold
ironj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 11:44 AM   #10
I drive a 2011 F250, CC, diesel, longbed, RWD, and I love the 6.7, those with big problems with the prior diesels as they were not made by Ford and they didn't work out. The 6.7 is made by Ford and they are nice trucks. There was a recall for a software upgrade for the transmission that I got done but I didn't notice any problem before the software upgrade. I am very pleased with mine. I got it in March 2011 and I looked for seven months prior and looked at Chev/GMC and Dodge also. For the same type truck, Chev/GMC was about $5,000 more and the Dodge just a little more.

whj77372 is offline   Reply With Quote