Old 07-31-2015, 06:31 AM   #1

Mirror concerns

OK, I'm more or less looking to hear if anyone has had this issue before and I'll try my best to explain it fully.

I have a 2004 Dodge Ram 3500 Quad Cab with factory tow mirrors - the kind that flip out for tow and then back in for daily driving. Had only had the truck a short while when I picked up my TT (Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite 8329SS) so had not used the mirrors in the tow position, or at least not while towing anything. While setting them up I noticed that, no matter how wide I tried to set the passenger side mirror, I could not see down that side of the TT - at all. All I really can see is the face of the TT. The driver side is perfect and I can see well down that side of the TT but the other side...no. The drive home wasn't bad because my wife had a decent view down the passenger side but it was frustrating not being able to see, basically, at all down the one side. Once home, backing up was a bit of a chore but, again, not all that bad.

Now I'm a short guy so when I lean over to the passenger side I don't get over as far as some others but I can't imagine that a taller person would fare that much better. I also know that I can get extensions for the mirror or replacements but I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem?

The original owner of the TV had a fifth wheel so I would imagine he could see, at least somewhat, but I never met him so I can't ask.

Any thoughts gang? Not just on what to do but, have you experienced this at all?

Thanks,
Mike

2016 Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite 8329SS
2004 Dodge Ram 3500 (Sterling) Auto w/built trans, 4X4 Quad Cab 5.9L Cummins
mikemc53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 10:14 PM   #2

I have a 2008 2500, so I assume I have the same mirrors as you. Mine will adjust plenty wide enough to see the trailer. Have you checked to see if something is wrong with the mirror? Maybe it will not move all the way out like it should. See if you can move it by hand to the desired position (assuming you have power mirrors). If you can get the mirror set so you can see, you will love them.

Old 08-30-2015, 07:03 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemc53 View Post
OK, I'm more or less looking to hear if anyone has had this issue before and I'll try my best to explain it fully.

I have a 2004 Dodge Ram 3500 Quad Cab with factory tow mirrors - the kind that flip out for tow and then back in for daily driving. Had only had the truck a short while when I picked up my TT (Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite 8329SS) so had not used the mirrors in the tow position, or at least not while towing anything. While setting them up I noticed that, no matter how wide I tried to set the passenger side mirror, I could not see down that side of the TT - at all. All I really can see is the face of the TT. The driver side is perfect and I can see well down that side of the TT but the other side...no. The drive home wasn't bad because my wife had a decent view down the passenger side but it was frustrating not being able to see, basically, at all down the one side. Once home, backing up was a bit of a chore but, again, not all that bad.

Now I'm a short guy so when I lean over to the passenger side I don't get over as far as some others but I can't imagine that a taller person would fare that much better. I also know that I can get extensions for the mirror or replacements but I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem?

The original owner of the TV had a fifth wheel so I would imagine he could see, at least somewhat, but I never met him so I can't ask.

Any thoughts gang? Not just on what to do but, have you experienced this at all?

Thanks,
Mike

I know exactly what ur talking about. I have the same problem with my Dodge Ram when backing into a "tight" spot using the passenger side mirror.

Looking for a solution!!
Dodge 3500 6.4 Hemi
DavidAndDonna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 02:33 AM   #4

When I had my 06 silverado with the add on tow mirrors, I had no issues with driver side but the passenger I could only see the front part of the trailer. This made it harder see traffic behind you when attempting to move over to right lane.

My solution was adding a concave stick on mirror to my passenger side tow mirror, gave me a wider visual range of any vehicles sneaking up on my right side.
Days camped in 2015, 0 Days so far (0)
This Space for Rent
Night Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 03:26 AM   #5
Just a member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemc53 View Post
While setting them up I noticed that, no matter how wide I tried to set the passenger side mirror, I could not see down that side of the TT - at all.
Assuming these are power mirrors, the mirror on the passenger side is not transiting through it's design travel. They get bunged up some times. You might be able to correct this by manually pushing on the outside edge of the passenger side mirror to better align it with the sight line down the side of the TT. It's not the vertical challenge - it's the mirror!
)
kandl is offline   Reply With Quote