Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-23-2015, 02:36 PM   #1

more power

We tow with a 2014 f250 SD diesel.In our 5th wheel we run a ice maker off our inverter to keep our cooler filled with ice. The ice maker runs the battery down and the charge line in the 7 pin plug can't keep up. Can we add amperage by runing a wire off an upfitter switch back to our battery?
thehitchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 02:47 PM   #2
Site Team

The 12V aux wiring in most vehicles is heavy enough to provide limited amount of power to the TT, but not enough to handle a high current load without out a significant voltage drop. If you want to run the ice maker from the TV, run a new #8 or #10 line from the fuse block to the Bargman. Also check to insure that it is powered. Many new vehicles ( even with tow package) do not install the fuse ( and relay if used) in the fuse block. In some the fuse and relay are in a plastic bag in the glove compartment.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 02:49 PM   #3
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Add another 12v battery to your camper.
Or change the 12v out for two 6v's
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 03:19 PM   #4

Perhaps you can, however, it seems that the 7 pin is fused at 30 amps and assuming a reasonable icemaker (150 watts) that should be sufficient to keep up. The question is why can't it? Since you are not blowing fuses you aren't going beyond that. 150 watts should be around 13 to 18 amps of 12 volt DC. I would check the grounds and wire sizes before feeding from an uplift. What current is drawn with the TV engine running and the inverter and icemaker on? What voltage do you read on the trailer battery in that case? This should work unless you have bad connections or a much bigger icemaker than I have assumed. An uplift connection can't go beyond 30 amps either.

2015 335DS
ScottBrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 03:27 PM   #5
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

I believe the charge wire size is not big enough to carry any kind of decent voltage to make up the difference.
Plus a connection and whatever size wire on the trailer.
Also remember if your traveling withe fridge on there's a 12 v draw there as well as the Phantom draws from radio and Co detector.
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 08:01 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TURBS View Post
Add another 12v battery to your camper.
Or change the 12v out for two 6v's
good idea

'21 dune sport fire storm custom toyhauler
dsrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 11:55 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by TURBS View Post
I believe the charge wire size is not big enough to carry any kind of decent voltage to make up the difference.
Plus a connection and whatever size wire on the trailer.
Also remember if your traveling withe fridge on there's a 12 v draw there as well as the Phantom draws from radio and Co detector.
I think i will use the #7 pin to add a fused line (#8 or #10) off of my truck battery. I know i will have to check to see if ford hooks up the backup lights on their factory in stalled plug. I should then be able to find the yellow wire in the box located on the pin box and run it to my battery.
Old 10-25-2015, 11:58 AM   #8

You could do that but remember that if you forget to disconnect the TV, the TT can discharge the TV battery completely...and then you are stuck! I think that Ford uses a relay powered by the ignition to prevent this from happening and you might want to consider that as well.

2015 335DS
ScottBrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 12:14 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottBrownstein View Post
You could do that but remember that if you forget to disconnect the TV, the TT can discharge the TV battery completely...and then you are stuck! I think that Ford uses a relay powered by the ignition to prevent this from happening and you might want to consider that as well.
Thanks for the warning, but we allways unplug from from the TV.
Old 10-25-2015, 12:39 PM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottBrownstein View Post
Perhaps you can, however, it seems that the 7 pin is fused at 30 amps and assuming a reasonable icemaker (150 watts) that should be sufficient to keep up. The question is why can't it? Since you are not blowing fuses you aren't going beyond that. 150 watts should be around 13 to 18 amps of 12 volt DC. I would check the grounds and wire sizes before feeding from an uplift. What current is drawn with the TV engine running and the inverter and icemaker on? What voltage do you read on the trailer battery in that case? This should work unless you have bad connections or a much bigger icemaker than I have assumed. An uplift connection can't go beyond 30 amps either.
It is a wire size issue . Here is the math. At 16A DC 1/8 ohm resistance in the fuse connection+ wire + Bargman connection + wire to ice maker and you end up with 11.8V delivered to appliance. Replace the wire from fuse block to Bargman.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power