Old 04-16-2015, 01:40 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW Rusty View Post
I truly believe that the big 3 are all considerably the same in quality and price. It really comes down to which truck you enjoy driving more and feel more comfortable pulling with. I have a chevy 2500 duramax and its a great truck, how ever my next truck will be a ford. I love the new ford interiors....
Well said, any of the big 3 are great trucks. Just comes down to needs and personal tastes.

mcnabbwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 01:58 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnabbwr View Post
Well said, any of the big 3 are great trucks. Just comes down to needs and personal tastes.
Agreed - you will find a lot of banter on the forums GMC vs Ford vs Dodge.

I think the differences really show in the gasser realms though. Say what you will (and I say this NOT because I own one ) but I think Ford has won the 1/2 Ton war. EcoBoost is about the most revolutionary engine technology to come along in some time. The 2015 F150 EcoBeast can pull a 11,700 lb 5er Why Ford hasn't come out with a 8 cyl EcoBoost for its F250 line is by me (But I suspect they do not want to cut into their diesel sales )

Back to the Big Boys. My son and his gang of car-o-phials have told me that if I buy a 1ton Diesel this year, Dodge Ram Laramie is the King of the heap for 2015.

For 2016? Who knows! It seems like they nip ahead of each other every year! It really does come down to what you like to drive, what works best for you, and what you plan to tow.

And on that note, lesson learned! Just buy the d@mn 1 ton You KNOW you are gonna want that 40' 16K rig sooner or later.

And if you don't and are perfectly happy with the smaller trailer you have, good on you! (but you are in denial and lying to yourself )

(Above comment meant to be humorous based on the HUGE number of "upgraders" in the RV community )

Nights Camped: 2013 - 24 2014 - 42 2015 - 56 Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 02:13 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuicideSaints View Post
My father in law is a diesel mechanic and I simply asked him what vehicles do you work on the most? What vehicles do you work on the least?
That's making a pretty broad assumption that there are an equal number of the top three being driven in his area. Where I'm from it's about 2:1 between Ford and Dodges and probably 15:1 of the Ford/Dodges to Chevy's.

A mechanic in the area I grew up in would say they work on Chevy's the least.

Old 04-16-2015, 02:25 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yarome View Post
That's making a pretty broad assumption that there are an equal number of the top three being driven in his area. Where I'm from it's about 2:1 between Ford and Dodges and probably 15:1 of the Ford/Dodges to Chevy's.

A mechanic in the area I grew up in would say they work on Chevy's the least.

True it is a broad assumption and it is one mechanics opinion, I just so happen to trust his opinion and respect it, and like I said in my posts the most important thing is to pick one that can adequately handle the TT.

For the record he stated that he works on chevy's the least and fords the most but I see more fords than anything else around his neck of the woods. We both drive dodges......

Nights Camped (2017- 16) (2016-13) (2015-13)
SuicideSaints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 03:31 PM   #15

If you were to go to the Walmart parking lot in Goshen Indiana and sat there for a day you would see hundreds and hundreds of tow vehicles. You would also see that over 80% of them are dodge. I pull rv's for a living. Let it be known that my stance is that they are all good till they break! This is strictly my experience.
I have 2 ram 3500's. As we speak I am driving an '04. It has 998,373 miles on it. My '07 (just in front of me) has 1.6 MILLION miles on it. In total (besides regular stuff), I have replaced 3 transmissions, 1 transfer case, 2 front drive shafts and 1 rear drive shaft. No motor work, no turbo issues and I have never replaced an injector. I've met a few people with over 2 million miles on dodges. I've met people with over a million on their duramax, but I have never seen a high mile powerstroke. Any of the Dodge owners will tell you that they don't drive dodge cause it's dodge, it's because of the Cummins engine.
For the average rv'er any of the big 3 would be fine.
Old 04-17-2015, 08:02 AM   #16

most popular TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by schrederman View Post
For my own reasons I will never own another GM product... I have been a Ford-only guy for many years. However, last July when I went looking for a new TV, the Fords were about $6,000- more than the Ram, comparably equipped. I liked them about equally, so the Ram got the nod. I don't regret the decision, but I wouldn't have regretted buying the Ford, either... spending the extra money didn't wise. Now I'm looking at bigger TTs, and I'm glad to still have that extra cash.

My opinions are identical to yours, I bought the Ram 1500 diesel. It's a great tow vehicle for light to mid trailers and a great daily driver. I got 26 mpg hand calculated over the last 1200 miles mixed driving. I haven't towed much, yet, but got 14 mpg towing my mini lite.

I was a Ford guy, now it will be Ram until they disappoint. Can't/won't buy GM.
2016 - 47 nights
2017 - 47 nights
LandJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 02:51 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryo View Post
If you were to go to the Walmart parking lot in Goshen Indiana and sat there for a day you would see hundreds and hundreds of tow vehicles. You would also see that over 80% of them are dodge. I pull rv's for a living. Let it be known that my stance is that they are all good till they break! This is strictly my experience.
I have 2 ram 3500's. As we speak I am driving an '04. It has 998,373 miles on it. My '07 (just in front of me) has 1.6 MILLION miles on it. In total (besides regular stuff), I have replaced 3 transmissions, 1 transfer case, 2 front drive shafts and 1 rear drive shaft. No motor work, no turbo issues and I have never replaced an injector. I've met a few people with over 2 million miles on dodges. I've met people with over a million on their duramax, but I have never seen a high mile powerstroke. Any of the Dodge owners will tell you that they don't drive dodge cause it's dodge, it's because of the Cummins engine.
For the average rv'er any of the big 3 would be fine.
So I gotta ask a couple of questions

1. Dually vs SWD?
2. What brand of transmission did you use as replacement?
Nights Camped: 2013 - 24 2014 - 42 2015 - 56 Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 07:01 PM   #18

Thanks for the responses, after reading them there is no doubt that all 3 makers produce great trucks. It may be more regional than anything. In Va I would say it would be Ford, Chev or GMC, then Dodges in that order, its not scientific but just observations. Mostly Diesels with the Ford ecobeast hauling a lot of TTs. Bottom line the most popular TV is all personal preference.
Charles Firth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 06:56 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSVBamaBob View Post
So I gotta ask a couple of questions

1. Dually vs SWD?
2. What brand of transmission did you use as replacement?
Sorry for taking so long. Both trucks are duallys. Nv5600 6 speed manual transmission from Zimbroda bearing and gear near Rochester, Mn. 68re 6 speed automatic rebuilt by Ultra Trans in Winnipeg, Mb.
Old 04-25-2015, 07:47 AM   #20

Quote:
I've met a few people with over 2 million miles on dodges. I've met people with over a million on their duramax, but I have never seen a high mile powerstroke.
Last Fall I considered trading-in my Ram 2500 w/5.7 Hemi & after a ton of research agree that the Ram w/Cummins TD offers the best initial bang-for-the-buck combined with the best diesel/tranny combo for long-term reliability. I don't have experience with the others' warranties (25 years of Hondas), but Ram replaced my 5.7 Hemi - no questions asked - at 96,000 miles, just 4,000 shy of the 100K warranty. This positive experience with Ram's powertrain warranty has convinced several other family members to make Chrysler vs. Honda purchases in the last couple months. IMO Ram is working harder to improve their image while keeping their prices in-check...

2016-36; 2015-37; 2014-31

The_Rhino is offline   Reply With Quote