Old 04-25-2015, 08:53 AM   #21

After reading all these posts the majority of them all talk about buying a diesel. My situation was different. I agree that the heavy duty 2500/3500 1 ton truck are the best for doing the heavy work, which is towing large heavy boxes that we all live in. But must of us only tow approx 10 to 20 times a year during the season. This is why I purchased a gas motor instead of the diesel. I could not justify the extra 8 to 10 thousand dollar motor for such little use. I choose the new Ram 2500 mega cab with the 6.4 Hemi with a 4.10 gear ratio. The truck is rated at a max tow of 15,250 and cargo at 3200lbs. The truck does a great job towing my trailer which I avg around 10 to 12 mpg in the mountains and 14 mpg in the flat areas. Driving between 55 to 65 mph There are options out their, just think outside the box,

Old 04-25-2015, 09:37 AM   #22

I bought a 2013 Ford f-150 5.0 3.55. I pull a 2015 Rockwood 2703ws dry weight 6400lbs. I have to keep an eye on what additional weight we put inside though. I have pulled it about 2700 miles all in Florida. No issues yet but I will probably replace the stock tires with eight ply this summer. Time will tell if this is a good match but budget kept me from going any bigger with the truck. Its just two adults and the wife loved the trailer. We have signed up for Goshen in August so we will see how this rig handles the Tennessee mountains. If I do upgrade it will be a Class A when we retire. I have no desire to pull anything behind a truck that weighs more than the 2703ws.

Old 04-25-2015, 09:49 AM   #23

Fords have always looked the best to me..however in the snow belt states everything underneath seems to disintegrate. Gone to chevy and wont look back. Curious to see how the eco boost Ford's will do once they rack up miles.

2006 Ford F150 4.6L
Rrickim63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 10:42 AM   #24

Being an engineer and now retired, I looked at the tow vehicle purchase a little differently. I look at the ease of repair and the reliability numbers of a diesel engine; which is the main cost driver for me. I also look at serviceability and cost of the consumable parts such as filters and such. I also looked at performance of the engine and the new for 2007.5 and on the variable geometry turbo and the braking performance they have.

To me the Cummins engine wins hands down. Why? A 6 cylinder engine with 24 valves and injectors on the top of the engine is far easier to repair and will have less reliability issue than any V8 engine. Less number of moving parts on a 6 cylinder than an 8 cylinder engine. Also on some of the newer V8 designed engines the Turbo is being buried in the valley of the engine. Serviceability to me is really important this screams expensive if you need to work on a turbo.

Cummins also advertise they have the most brake HP of any manufacture with their designed VGT turbo. So in stopping a heavy camper the more brake HP you have it is a good thing.

Just my humble opinion.
Old 04-25-2015, 10:43 AM   #25

Quote:
in the snow belt states everything underneath seems to disintegrate
The OP stated he had a diesel F250 so IMO most folks were comparing diesels from the Big 3... However, I agree with the above quote... Ohio trucks rust-out long before their Cummins TDs tire of pulling so folks around here buy diesels to haul/pull heavy stuff not to out-last their gas counterparts....

In 2013 I was able to buy a 2011 Ram 2500 w/5.7 Hemi for $14K vs. $28K+ for a 2 year-old diesel. IMO my '11 Ram will still be worth at least $8K in a few years so I'm better-off not paying 2X more for the diesel (unless my TT required one...) I can trade-up in a few years & the cost of BOTH will be under $28K...

Quote:
I choose the new Ram 2500 mega cab with the 6.4 Hemi... max tow of 15,250 and cargo at 3200lbs
Last Fall I almost traded-in my '11 Ram for a '14 Ram 2500 w/6.4 Hemi. For the same MPG as my 5.7 it boosts payload & substantially increases tow capacity. They were clearing-out 2014s so the 6.4 only cost about $1,000 more than the 5.7... Seemed like the best bang-for-the-buck vs. $7K more for the Cummins...

Quote:
A 6 cylinder [diesel] engine with 24 valves and injectors on the top of the engine is far easier to repair...
The Cummins may be more reliable & easier to repair, but the cost to repair/replace diesels out of warranty is 2X to 4X that of gas... Last year my 5.7 Hemi blew under warranty. Had it not been covered under warranty, a newly rebuilt engine only cost $3.5K plus $750 labor to install. (5.7 Hemi is a popular engine & easy to find...) Try finding a Cummins for 2X that... Cost of maintenance is not a legit reason to argue diesel vs. gas...
2016-36; 2015-37; 2014-31

The_Rhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 09:39 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim34RL View Post

To me the Cummins engine wins hands down. Why? A 6 cylinder engine with 24 valves and injectors on the top of the engine is far easier to repair and will have less reliability issue than any V8 engine. Less number of moving parts on a 6 cylinder than an 8 cylinder engine.

I see the logic here, but I just HAVE to point out- the gas engine crowds take EXACTLY the opposite viewpoint to slam the Ecoboost engine. They claim that you have 2 fewer cylinders and therefore have more stress on those than an equivalent powered V8 would have. I just think it's funny how two groups of people can justify a choice based on completely opposing arguments.
Old 05-01-2015, 07:11 AM   #27

Hello all!

I just put money down on a 2015 Dodge Ram 1500, Quad Cab, 4x2 with 3.6 Liter 24V VVT V6 Engine. I got the full trailer & traction group package.

Will be using it to to the new Shasta Airflyte reissue, 19ft edition. And yes, like many of the folks who bought in to the new-to-me-with-vintage-charm of the Airflyte, this is my first trailer and I have a lot to learn.

Anyone have any tip or info they would want to throw at me right away based on all of the above? I've been doing a lot of research about tow vehicles, but the true test will be getting this rig on the road...where the real learning will occur.
Old 05-01-2015, 08:42 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Rhino View Post
IMO Ram is working harder to improve their image while keeping their prices in-check...
Easier to keep prices in check when you are building your trucks in Mexico. FWIW, I've found that with Ford incentives and some negotiating ability, I can purchase a Ford for about the same money.
Old 05-01-2015, 09:21 AM   #29

Quote:
The Cummins may be more reliable & easier to repair, but the cost to repair/replace diesels out of warranty is 2X to 4X that of gas... Last year my 5.7 Hemi blew under warranty. Had it not been covered under warranty, a newly rebuilt engine only cost $3.5K plus $750 labor to install. (5.7 Hemi is a popular engine & easy to find...) Try finding a Cummins for 2X that... Cost of maintenance is not a legit reason to argue diesel vs. gas...
Keep telling your self this. My 08 Dodge Mega cab has 81,500 miles on the OD and the only thing that I have done to this engine is change the Air, Fuel and Oil filters and replaced the oil. My fuel mileage is between 11.5 and 13 MPG when towing my 5ER and I can reach a high of 20 MPG on the highway when not towing. Add up your cost per mile and than come back and tell me how great your truck is. My cost is $0.30 a mile; which includes all fuel and maintenance on this engine and powertrain components. Remove the fuel cost and this drops to $0.04/mile.

I will never own a gas vehicle again in fact my DW wife's VW TDI gets around 33 to 35 MPG in town and over 45 on the highway.
Old 05-01-2015, 09:48 AM   #30
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:

Hold your hemisphere horses.

Your hemi has been replaced once already?

Enough said imo.

TURBS
08 duramax tuned n modded, 32bhok Sabre
2015 camping "2 nights"