Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-25-2011, 10:22 PM   #1

Motorcycle Carrier

I have a 3/4 ton Dodge diesel pulling a 29 ft Forest River 5th wheel. I would love to bring my motorcycle (weight 270 pounds wet and 40 pound hitch) Could I get some advice regarding the advantage of rear mount receiver on 5th wheel or front mount receiver on truck for carring this weight. Thanks so much. Dan the newbie
Danhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 10:38 PM   #2
49 year camping veteran

On my last trailer, I had two receivers welded to each hitch rail under the bumper. I could either attach a storage box with generator space on the back, or a motorcycle carrier for my sons motorcycle.
The bike carried very well. The storage box (diamond plate aluminum) was a little more prone to wind buffeting.

Don't think I'll have the weight capacity to add this to this current trailer.
Maxterra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 07:28 AM   #3

If you have the light frame on your camper, I wouldn't put that much weight on the rear end. 270 lbs doesn't sound like much, but when the camper hits those inevitable bumps on the road, the forces at the back of the unit are multipled many times over.
I'd hate to see you bend your frame!
crocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 08:20 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

I've seen the front hitch carrying bicycles and even some 50CC and 100CC bikes, which were lighter than your bike, and thought it was a great idea. Less bounce than the RV back mount, I think, and more bugs but it would really depend on just a few issues that would need to be solved:

FGAW: Will the front hitch and bike at 310 lbs keep you within the front axle limits as well as the overall balance of the whole rig?

Headlights: Will the headlights be impaired? If so, one idea is to install extra plow lights that can shine over the bike or extra driving lights on the bumper.

Loading and unloading: I guess this is an issue whether front or back.

Post some pics of whatever you decide to do.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 11:56 AM   #5
49 year camping veteran

Spending time under the trailer this weekend, I don't think I'll be adding anything to the back of this ultralite trailer. From what I can see of the frame, it's extremely lightweight.
The other trailer had an 8" ibeam rail frame (must be part of the reason for it being so heavy....
Maxterra is offline   Reply With Quote