Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-26-2016, 11:18 AM   #1

Motorcycle rack on Forester 2251 Chevy 4500

So I finished my dual receiver mount motorcycle rack.
I carry up to 425 lbs- Kawi KLR 650 and wanted to make it strong and off the frame rails- not the center hitch so I could add a bicycle rack or flat tow my Tacoma if required.

First off- I bought 2 bare 2" receiver tubes and some 3/16 plate.
Fabricated mounts that bolt to the frame side in 3 spots (grabbed 2 of the bumper mount holes) and one lower portion of the hitch. 4 grade 8 fasteners on each side. I also welded them to the bottom of the 4" square tube bumper so they can be removed as one unit with the bumper if need be.

Next up. I purchased an SMC 600 (600 lb max off one receiver) motorcycle rack from discount ramps .com. This unit is heavy duty.
I bought a 4' length of 1/4 inch alum square tubing for the receivers- cut the front longer than the back (27-21") so I could have a tie down loop for the front side. I fit the Kawi KLR to get the correct attitude, handlebars close to the box as possible and away from the ladder rack. (keep it tight- less leveraged weight)
Mounted the receivers to the bike rail- used all stainless fasteners throughout. I decided to not use the steel loading ram this unit came with so I bought another aluminum one for $70 for weight savings.
The remaining components of the SMC rack were used to make a complete single receiver motorcycle rack I can use on my Tacoma.
2 tie downs in the front- one in the rear and for added protection and safety- I fabbed up a bracket hold down for the footpegs to the rack rail and a bracket from the triple clamps on the Kawi to the motorhome ladder to help control front to rear sway. Bike sits VERY tight now.

Now I wanted to cary the bicycles outside so I borrowed an 8" solid shank hitch extension from my bud to test.
With the 8" extension and a sway control mount, the bicycle rack fit perfect with the 2 bicycles. No rubbing or bumping of anything.
Now the bicycles only stick out 8" further than even without the motorcycle.

Total weight- 500 lbs with the motorcycle. 600 lbs with the bicycles.
I was leery that this would be too much for the Chevy 4500 hanging off the back. Tested it around town- worked perfect. Did a 300 mile trip with some rough roads- road great. No additional front end lightness or sway and it actually helped the ride with the softened rear end.
These small units on the 4500 Chevy are overkill IMO since I am carrying a total of about 11,300 with the bikes on a 14k gross.

I was pleasantly surprised how well it worked.
Now I do not have to tow if I do not want to- yet still have transportation.

Total cost was around $500 (for 2 complete racks now) plus my labor- many hrs of fabricating, cutting, welding and trips to the hardware store.
Almost forgot- added a tail/brake lamp insert into the rear of the bicycle rack for visibility. The lights on the coach are also very visible.

Old 01-26-2016, 12:36 PM   #2

T.L. - NICE JOB ! Looks like a clean install,congrats.
Old 01-26-2016, 06:52 PM   #3

Thanks Geeman.
A lot of work but well worth it now.
Old 01-27-2016, 02:05 AM   #4

With all that weight on the back, does the front end feel a little light driving down the highway ?
2016 Forester 3171DS (ordered March & arrived June 2015)
benagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 10:28 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by benagi View Post
With all that weight on the back, does the front end feel a little light driving down the highway ?
No not at all.
That was my concern but it drove great.
Maybe better than no load on the back.
The spring stack on the 4500 is huge.
These chassis are overkill for the box size of the 2251.
A longer box may be an issue.
Old 01-27-2016, 04:37 PM   #6

Bumper hitch

You have broken every frame modification rule known to RV ers. You will never be allowed to own an RV again. Take comfort in knowing it is a clean, safe installation.
pdqparalegal1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 06:40 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdqparalegal1 View Post
You have broken every frame modification rule known to RV ers. You will never be allowed to own an RV again. Take comfort in knowing it is a clean, safe installation.

I only drilled 2 holes in the frame.
And much cleaner than FR did on the other 4.

But I catch your drift.
Old 01-27-2016, 07:18 PM   #8

Nice design and fab. Link to the setup on my A-Frame camper:

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ml#post1031894

Disclaimer: The actual value of my "Two Cents" of advice varies just like a bitcoin.
Bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 10:15 AM   #9

QUOTE=Bluepill;1087943]Nice design and fab. Link to the setup on my A-Frame camper:

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ml#post1031894[/QUOTE]

Nice looking and strong unit.
I attempted the same thing on my Traillite Bantam several years ago.
I had tadvantage of my box frame rails extending to the raer of the trailer- I used double receiver sliders there also.
The result was a tail happy trailer.
I would get too much sway- even after moving a bunch of weight forward to counterbalance it.
I ended up putting the rack on the tongue since I had a long one- moved the spare tire rearward and added a storage rack to the rear to counterbalance the heavy tongue.
Worked great for about 8 years.

Tags
500, forester, motorcycle