Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-10-2014, 08:21 AM   #21

I talked to a couple who were pulling an Eddie Baur Edition Airstream with a cayenne porche. They did have a top of the line WDH. He said it towed nice. This was in the finger lakes area of NY.
Just us gals (me, Sis and our daughters)
We spend alot of money to go sit in the woods
GalsofEscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 08:46 AM   #22

I bet those people were from Ontario and CAN-AM set them up. CAN-AM will setup very large trailers with small TV's. The problem the OP will have with the Porsche is the tongue weight. I believe that the max for the TV is in the mid 600 lbs. The thing with European cars is there campers have a much lower tongue weight, as low as 5%. So they have high trailer weights but low max tongue weights. In Europe they tend to use the 80% rule, if the trailer is under 80% of the TV's weight than your OK. 4000 lb TV can tow a 3200 lb trailer.

Current: 2019 Sunseeker 2290S
Previous (2012-2016): 2012 Vibe 6501
1 Prospector Canoe, 2 Mtn. Bikes & 4 Hiking Boots
Happy Vibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 09:08 AM   #23

Doesn't matter how much power the vehicle has. Its short size will make handling and stopping dangerous

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Forest River Forums mobile app
davel1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 09:14 AM   #24

Not to sure, but do not recall that they had candian plates and I thought they were from the US. I had to talk to them as I was surprised with the TV. It was a nice airstream, got a tour of it.
Just us gals (me, Sis and our daughters)
We spend alot of money to go sit in the woods
GalsofEscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 09:26 AM   #25
CLT
Next Gen Camperbot 5000XL

Quote:
Originally Posted by john777 View Post
Great input here. This is not your average SUV. This is a 5800 lb, extremely powerful vehicle 450HP, 460 TQ. I'm going to jump over to a Cayenne forum and do more research on this too. All of your input is extremely helpful.

Got it. I paid a 1000$ deposit, so I will bring the cashiers check for the rest. I have this feeling the next thing is going to be : "you need to finalize the purchase before the PDI"....
I'm sure the horsepower or torque ratings weren't of primary concern. Yes it can handle the weight of the trailer, no problem. So can something with about half your HP and torque (not recommended but still....) The problem would be more so on the handling in extreme cornering, windy, and emergency situations. More wheelbase is more stability. General rule is 20 feet of trailer for 110" of wheelbase. Add a foot longer on the trailer for every 4" additional of wheelbase. You can go over this some if you have a quality 4 point WDH. Even a little more if you have a premium like Hensley Arrow. That is what it would take for me to take that setup. I'd be going Hensley, period. And even then I'd have reservations. And that's if the vehicle can even handle the hitch weight.

Figure this out before you purchase. You can always stall for a little more time, but once you hand that check over its too late.
Old 06-10-2014, 11:08 AM   #26

some input from the cayenne forum

Keep the info coming, it is much appreciated. Most of the trailer below are in the mid 25' range, not 30'.

"I towed 5,100 lbs up moderate mountains with my S and it almost like it was not there. The trans never made it to 8th gear, mostly 5 and 6th gear at 65 MPH. Mileage was about 12. Not bad. I am surprised Porsche does not market a Cayenne better for its excellent towing capabilities. That said, I would not tow without the air suspension, and electric brakes."

"I tow a 24 ft enclosed trailer with an '08 Cayenne S with minimal problems. I'm hauling about 6,500 lbs. (3.3k for trailer and 3.2k for GT3).
Up hlils, the Tiptronic will atuomatically shift as low as 3rd gear to maintain speed (55-65 mph). And the gas mileage which is marginal to begin with dips to 10-11 mpg.
But I like driving the Cayenne much more than a pick-me-up-truck, even here in rural Virginia."

"I've pulled a 20 ft enclosed trailer (about 8k lbs loaded) for 2 years with my V8 Touareg...probably towed over 5k miles....both short trips and long trips (OH to AK). I seem to get closer to 8-9 mpg. Although the wheelbase is short, it works fine. With no wind, it's comfortable at 75 mph. Add heavy crosswinds and you need to pay a bit more attention"

"I've towed close to the 7716lb limit a few times. I've got a 18' dovetail car hauler (21' total) that I haul my track car and other projects with.
Not my trailer in the picture, but I hauled my Eurovan (about 5200lbs) from NJ to Colorado.
Tows just fine. Add a nice brake controller and it tows better than my 3/4 ton dodge with the same load! Had to tow the van to DMV to get inspected so hooked the trailer up to my Dodge so I could put the CTT back in the garage. The CTT, goes, stops, and turns MUCH better with the trailer than the Dodge (same brake controller fwiw)"

"IIRC, it is stated to NOT use a load distributing hitch with a Cayenne.
I don't remember if that was specific to PASM equipped vehicles or not.
The 'rule of thumb' is somewhat irrelevant; the governing specification/document is the manufacturer published/supplied capacities (at least from a legal perspective)."

"I contacted 3 dealer service departments regarding the WD hitch and they all said that a WD hitch is fine, but it is NOT to be used with the PASM due to the suspension auto-leveling characteristics."

"Are you using one of these to measure tongue weight?
Sherline Trailer Tongue Weight Scales
http://www.sherline.com/lmbook1.pdf

Have you read this?
Trailer Loading and Towing Guide

Here is a quick worksheet:
Worksheet for Trailer Load and Balance"

"Wheelbase matters (and the Cayenne/Touareg is sort of short) as does staying well below max ratings, as does what type of trailer you are towing. This will become apparent, right before you, your Cayenne/Touareg and trailer flip over when things go horribly wrong (crosswinds, tailwagging, emergency braking/lane change, etc)"

Towing a smaller airstream
john777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 11:36 AM   #27

Anaro said:

"I don't know the payload but that is going to be your weakest link. I'm willing to bet you will be way over on payload and over on your adjusted towing capacity (TV gcwr - tv actual Wright with passengers etc...)

"I know that's not what you are asking but honestly, you need to hear it. ... "

Your correct, the OP did not ask that. Do you guys just circle the boards waiting to jump on someone that tows near their max rating? This isn't even the towing forum. I am glad the OP has been gracious about this. I would hate to see anther person scared off by the weight police.

OP, I too can understand why the dealer has that stipulation. I would just have it checked out after the fact but be aware that this is more like buying a house than car. It most likely won't be "white glove" perfect but minor issues are a part of the charm in my (warped) opinion,
tanddc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 12:06 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanddc View Post
Anaro said:

"I don't know the payload but that is going to be your weakest link. I'm willing to bet you will be way over on payload and over on your adjusted towing capacity (TV gcwr - tv actual Wright with passengers etc...)

Your correct, the OP did not ask that. Do you guys just circle the boards waiting to jump on someone that tows near their max rating? This isn't even the towing forum. I am glad the OP has been gracious about this. I would hate to see anther person scared off by the weight police.

OP, I too can understand why the dealer has that stipulation. I would just have it checked out after the fact but be aware that this is more like buying a house than car. It most likely won't be "white glove" perfect but minor issues are a part of the charm in my (warped) opinion,

I did mean to post this on the towing forum. If an administrator can move it, that would be great.
Old 06-10-2014, 12:27 PM   #29
CLT
Next Gen Camperbot 5000XL

Quote:
Anaro said:

(Bold added by me..of course.) Towing near max rating is one thing. Towing over the max ratings is another. I don't see any harm done by suggesting someone stay within what their vehicle/components were designed for. Like I said, now is the time to right-size before the purchase, not after.

I don't think anyone here is saying he CAN'T buy this and tow it. But can he do so responsibly? There are some who like to follow the rules in life and some who choose to live outside the boundries. Just because someone is trying to err on the side of caution vs bigger is better does not mean they are the "weight police." It simply means that they are trying to keep someone from making what could possibly be an expensive mistake. It isn't just like you can pull some Lego blocks out of a TT and shrink it down a few feet after the purchase.

As usual, many other considerations can go into this equation. Past experience towing a TT, are you going to be able to use a WDH with the Porsche factory suspension electronic controls, what terrain do you plan on visiting, etc. But I would certainly say that this setup would be outside the realm of comfortable for me.

Old 06-10-2014, 03:51 PM   #30

I have bought two new campers and yes something has always gone wrong and I've had to bring it back numerous times. Now I understand Camping Worlds policy but I don't see anything wrong with having your mechanic looking it over. Camping world does not have to know who this person is if he is doing this for you. From experience it's better to have another set of eyes looking at potential problems and correcting them right away then having to find these issues while you and your family is out camping. Talk about a trip buzz kill! It's happened to me.
Jdimaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 06:23 PM   #31
Moderator Emeritus

Tanddc- no I don't troll looking for weight problems. I'm not weight police either. If you noticed, I addressed the original question top but in my reading their post I noticed a problem with the set up and as others have said, I offered advice to th d OP hoping to help them before they make a costly mistake. And that is a mistake I wish someone had helped prevent me from making when I was a newbie.
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 06:32 PM   #32
Moderator Emeritus

To the OP. I was never worried about your engine, Having been there done that with an undersized vehicle, I was worried about handling and stopping. There is a lot more to towing than, can I pull that? You need to know you have enough vehicle to control the trailer. Many of the response uses you had on the cayenne forum that you quoted are different kinds of trailers. Different types off trailers are designed to run at a different tongue weight percentage. The tongue weight they are running at is likely lower than the camper you are purchasing. I wish you luck in your endeavors and hope your towing experience in an overmatched setup goes better than mine did.... keep in mind, I towed horse trAilers so 've I was 16 yrs old and it took everything I knew about towing to keep that rig on th d road.
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 07:34 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by anaro View Post
To the OP. I was never worried about your engine, Having been there done that with an undersized vehicle, I was worried about handling and stopping. There is a lot more to towing than, can I pull that? You need to know you have enough vehicle to control the trailer. Many of the response uses you had on the cayenne forum that you quoted are different kinds of trailers. Different types off trailers are designed to run at a different tongue weight percentage. The tongue weight they are running at is likely lower than the camper you are purchasing. I wish you luck in your endeavors and hope your towing experience in an overmatched setup goes better than mine did.... keep in mind, I towed horse trAilers so 've I was 16 yrs old and it took everything I knew about towing to keep that rig on th d road.
ALL input is graciously appreciated. Keep it coming please.
Old 06-10-2014, 07:46 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by john777 View Post
I don't see any harm in having someone look over any issues prior to the PDI and it prevents me from waiting a few days to pick up the trailer.

Yes, I agree I will get Porsche to do the brake controller
Make sure you download the PDI Checklist from our Library!
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 07:53 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSVBamaBob View Post
Make sure you download the PDI Checklist from our Library!
That was the first thing i did when i got on the forum, thank you.
Old 06-10-2014, 08:13 PM   #36
Site Team

Quote:
Anaro said:

I can see some of your viewpoint which is a part of the reason I didn't voice my viewpoint on the trailer length when I posted last night. But with that said - many of us would appreciate knowing of possible concerns sooner than later so we can make the right choice for us. The main reason I didn't bring it up in my previous post is that I have little knowledge on the subject so I opted to tread carefully instead.

Like you are looking out for the best interest of the OP, we are too. At the end of the day many of us will take feedback with a gain of salt - use what is helpful and discard the rest.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 09:23 PM   #37

more from other forums

Continuing to do research. My motorhome was so much easier!

"Towed a 30' Nomad TT with a 96 GMC 1/2 ton (5.7/3.73) for 7 years. We took trips all over the country. We were right at the upper limits of the truck but we did fine. Our first long trip introduced us to sway. After this we bought a Hensley. Money well spent with no regrets"

"Hi i think its funny when people get on the hype of 1/2 ton
pickups, they should do their home work, i pull a wilderness 280bhs
6800lb with a dodge ram 1500 392 rear axle. that being said dodge 1/2
ton and 3/4 ton trucks share the same brakes,worked for dodge 20yrs.
just use your common sense and you'll be ok i have thousands of miles
towing with 1/2 ton trucks"

"I towed a 33' travel trailer with a 1/2 ton pickup truck for a full season which included a trip from central Ohio to Maine and back. I was under every weight rating for my truck according to the scales when I weighed it fully loaded to go camping. The ONLY time I was worried was when I was going downhill and had a sudden (it was sudden because I wasn't paying as much attention as I should have been) left corner popped up in front of me. I could "feel" the trailer trying to push the back end of my pickup truck a little sideways as I went around the corner.
Would I do it again? Yes, but that incident was always in the back of my mind."

"I tow with a 34 ft. TT with a ½ ton. I am about 400 pounds under the total gross weight allowed for the vehicle and 600 pounds under the TT gross weight. We traveled 7k miles last year, a lot of it through the Eastern Mountains with no problems. TV has 130” wheelbase and is AWD. One panic stop when a deer ran in front of us in PA. I believe if you stay within the specifications of the TT & TV, use a good anti-sway hitch & good brake controller there should be no issues. I have been towing various kinds of trailers all my life and only once owned a truck over 1/2 ton. This argument will never end. You need to do what is comfortable & best for you."

"Old schoolers are right when they say that 3/4 ton vehicles tow better than 1/2 tons. With that said, if you have a newer 1/2 ton with a large V8 and 3.73 gears or higher, you can safely tow a pretty big trailer. In the coming years, you're going to see the industry shift to light weight trailers and 1/2 ton tow vehicles. Owning a 3/4 or 1 ton tow vehicle is a luxury, and the future campers of America are not going to be able to rationalize that luxury as much as we've seen in the past. Ford's 2012 (projected) 1/2 tons are going be capable of pulling of 12,500lbs or more. That, coupled with higher quality light weight trailers is the future of the travel trailer lifestyle. Count on it."

"We tow a Sunline 276SR with our 1500 Ram using an Equalizer hitch. It is right at 30' from the ball to the bumper and the weights are about the same as you are talking about."

"The question is not would the 3/4 ton pull better. I have no doubt that you are correct. The question is do you need a 3/4 ton to pull the Spree (or other lightweight, 1/2 ton designed trailer) safely and with acceptable performance? The answer to that is no; a 1/2 ton truck or large SUV will meet the bill for the OP. As bobbyg indicates, the car and RV industries are moving away from the 3/4 and 1 ton trucks. I would not be surprised in the next decade to see those vehicles offered only through special order, possibly with restrictions based on verifiable need such as farming or other heavy duty requirements."

"We tow a 32" Prowler TT which when loaded weighs in at 7800 lbs. Our tow vehicle is an 07' Ford F-150 Supercrew short box with the tow package and 3.73 rear end and the Triton 5.4L engine. It handles very well, and sway isn't an issue. Sure, we don't fly up the hills, but we can keep up to traffic flow. Proper weight distribution in the trailer is important. Stay under the speed limit and allow plenty of stopping room. Also get a GOOD brake controller, this forum has some great advice on them, and don't be afraid to use the trailer brakes. Certainly a 3/4 ton can give you more power and maneuverability, but we've really been pleased with our 1/2 ton and this TT. Towing the lighter Spree should be a breeze for you. Have fun!"

"I once saw a member here post in no less than 4 different RV forums until he got the answer he wanted - still happens from time to time here... And people will find a way to justify anything when it's what they want - it's called human nature "

"If you plan on winning a race while towing and working the lanes through traffic like an ambulance then you are best to consider a truck built more like a tank. On the other hand if you plan to do 55 to save a few bucks on fuel, are in no hurry to pass, won't sweat the line up behind you going up the hill and will buy a WDH for those windy open stretches and good handling, you will be just fine.
Towing is partially about attitude. I have a good friend that is embarrassed if he has a line up behind on a hill climb and would rather stomp on the accelerator and burn the fuel than be the guy that annoys folks for even one minute. I, on the other hand, think the highway is not a motor speedway and unless there is an actual ambulance on my tail (for which I will pull over) I think I am teaching folks a lesson in patience. "

"You all do know that a light or ultralight 30' trailer can weight THOUSANDS of pounds less than a 24' regular trailer right?"

"I pulled a 19' trailer with my 1/2 ton Suburban. Then went to a 32' lightweight trailer and pulled it with the same Suburban and an Equalizer hitch. The 32' actually pulled easier and smoother than the 19'. I am quite happy with my Suburban. I am even more happy that I don't have a 3/4 ton truck payment"

" I have a 2008 Chevy Silverado 1500 with the Vortex Max 6.0L and 3.73 gearing and pull a K-Z Spree 290 BHS which is around 30' and have had no problems towing it. Our truck seeems to have plenty of power to accelerate on the freeways,etc. and I am happy with the way it tows, the gas mileage could be better but you can't have everything. "

"I to fall in the class of towing a 30' with a half ton. You really need to watch the total weight. I have not had any problems towing my TT. We go a bit slow up hills, but I can deal with it. If you use your truck as a daily driver there are many things to consider. I own my truck and replacing it at this point is out of the question. As for the bakes if the TT brakes and the controller are working properly there should not be a problem. One thing to keep in mind is that vehicles such as mid size trucks /SUV's and even some mini vans carry a 1/2 ton rating. That said I would only use a full size 1/2 ton for towing something that large. A good rule of thumb is to keep the loaded weight 1000lbs below the max tow capacity. "

"Try again,yes limits are just that,limits and there are people who disregard them.Then again some of the weight police belive that if you are to tow a pop up,you better be towing with a 1 ton dualy diesel and if you try anything less then you shouldn't be towing.I am one of those towing close,not over but close to the limits and do just fine.It is true that ever TT and TV combination is different so many people on both sides love to give his opinion and that is what it is,an opinion.Can't we all just get along. "

"i tow 6500 lbs all over the state of ohio and west virginia in the form of a 30' travel trailer with a ford f-150 5.4 tow package and a 3.55 gear ratio 30,000 miles no problems yet. "
Old 06-11-2014, 07:25 AM   #38

I'm looking through the towing pictures on this forum

2011 Rockwood 2902ss & 2008 Jeep Diesel (3L)
Attached Thumbnails

2011 2902ss Rockwood Ultralight
2008 Grand Cherokee 3.0L Diesel (255 hp @ 2900 rpm / 430 lb-ft @ 1,400-2,800 rpm)
3P ProPride Hitch
RV Mods
Old 06-11-2014, 07:59 AM   #39

I know for a fact that Member (DDC) has towed from Can to Fla and many other places with a (2013 VW Touareg TDI) twin to the Porsche. His unit is a (2012 SU264 Surveyor). He has a Hensley Hitch! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 08:08 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
I know for a fact that Member (DDC) has towed from Can to Fla and many other places with a (2013 VW Touareg TDI) twin to the Porsche. His unit is a (2012 SU264 Surveyor). He has a Hensley Hitch! Youroo!!
Thanks, I'm trading posts with someone who has a Cayenne, lives in AK and tows a 25' all over AK.

Tags
dealer, newbie